1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best practice for two light wire harness

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Col4bin, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Mar 19, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    Col4bin

Col4bin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Double Cab
    My BD LP9 Pros came without wire harness but included the Duetsch connectors to do the wire harness myself. These are going directly to my sPOD source so no need for the relay etc.

my question is about the physical connection to take the two pigtails from the lights (4 wires), and bring them to one set of wires (2 wires) to connect to the SPOD. Is it as simple as putting two wires inside butt connectors on one side and just the single wire on the other? Is that a sufficient connection?

I’m also curious about wire pgauge. I’ve posted my specs below and the wire run from lights to sPOD is 6 feet max.
    TIA!!

9E6B1DBC-DEEE-4214-BCF0-0A515B2138BB.jpg

2. Mar 20, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    Baja Designs

Baja Designs The Scientist of Lighting Vendor

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    There's a few different methods you can wire the LP9s to an sPod or Switch-Pros. If you need the light to turn 100% on (high beam) and off (no low beam), it's a straightforward install. All you need to wire is high beam (pin 4) and the ground (pin 2). If you're wiring a pair of LP9s, you can use 14 gauge wire coming of the light and then when they come into one, use 12 gauge wire. It should mention this in the instructions with the lights. Some customers solder the connection, and others use a butt connector. As long it's a tight connection and protected from weather, you should be good. :thumbsup:

-Paul M.

Col4bin[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 20, 2020 at 9:45 AM
    Col4bin

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Double Cab
    Paul, I need some
    More help. This is really useful but I’d like to talk further about sPOD use and both high and low beam use.

4. Mar 20, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    Baja Designs

Baja Designs The Scientist of Lighting Vendor

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    No problem! You can use all the features of the LP9 Pro with an sPod, just takes a little bit of wiring. In the instructions it states that you cannot use high and low beam at the same time because it causes damage to the circuitry. That's why we use a three way switch (Hi/Off/Lo) with our 640172 harness. To prevent damage to the lights when using an aftermarket switch panel, we highly recommend adding a safety relay (12v 40amp 5 pin relay will work). I attached a diagram created by sPod to be used with our lights and their product. Here's a write up on how to do it.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 10.12.09 AM.jpg

If you were to press both switches accidentally at the same time, it shuts off one circuit. The last lead (amber backlit feature, pin 3) can be tapped into a third switch or switched power (ex. running light). The amber backlit feature serves as an added marker light.

5. Mar 20, 2020 at 2:05 PM
    Col4bin

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Double Cab
    I’m thinking for ease of wiring, I’ll just wire for high or off. Doesn’t the high setting turn on every bulb in the light?

6. Mar 20, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    chenbro

chenbro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver DCSB TRD OR
    What haven’t I changed?
    Yes, the high setting will turn on every LED in the light. The low setting will light up the bottom 3 and the side shooters. For my install I wanted to be able to use both the low- and high-power modes for my LP9's so I have my SwitchPro sending the power for the low beam and a control signal for the high beam to a DPDT relay that gets power directly from the battery. If I accidentally turn on the high beams while the low beams are on, the relay will disconnect the low beam and then connect power for the high beam. It would have been nice to have this protection circuitry built into the LP9's themselves to begin with, but most of the people I know with LP9's are only using the high beams/DRL anyway.

Also if you are splicing the leads from each light into a butt connector to a single wire, be sure that the single wire is thicker than the wires going to each light.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Col4bin[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top