1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best way to connect ipod touch to stock radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacomathunder, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    what is the best way to connect my ipod touch to stock radio... is there an adapter i can get and connect to the radio??? i dont like the radio frequency things, quality of sound sucks, preferably a direct line in or aux line in.... i have an 07 base tacoma so i dont have the built in aux jack.

2. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    There are different aftermarket controllers out there, some of them Ipod specific, some universal. Lots of people, including myself, use a product from USASpec called DF-TOY, which is a basic controller that plugs into the aux port in the back of your factory stereo. It has two mini stereo inputs for two different ports. So you can plug either input into your ipod, or your blackberry or whatever, into the headphone jack, and it plays through the stereo. I plugged my Blackberry in and used the speakerphone and it worked as a handsfree device through the stereo. I could also stream pandora, or radioparadise.com or any radio station and play through the stereo.

You have to control the ipod or whatever through the controls on the device, as the factory stereo in that truck is pretty simplistic and has no screen for album art, scrolling, etc.

It is a very simple install. I think there are ipod specific controllers that have an ipod interface you can mount externally on your dash, but I don't see the point. I would either get a simple controller like the DF-TOY, or get a good deal on a new stereo unit and swap out the factory one.

I just took out my DF-Toy because I installed an in-dash all-in-one unit with gps, bluetooth, dvd, etc. If you look into it and want to work out a deal for my DF-TOY, send me a PM. I think they were/are about $80.00 new.

3. Jan 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    whiskey101

whiskey101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White 4WD TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XQ
    I just installed a USA SPEC PA15-TOY in my 2010 TRD Off-Road. I have the single cd, standard radio factory head unit. It took me less than an hour to install and it works great with my iPhone 4. It controls the iPod and Pandora from the wheel. The sound is louder than the factory axillary jack with a premium cable.

I used this website:
    http://www.acceleroto.com/pa15toy/

The only difference was that I didn't have an open spot on the back of my stereo. It was easy to figure out which cable to unplug and replug into the supplied Y though. The pics on the above website were helpful.

Products Discussed in

To Top