1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BEWARE OF SPC UCA'S

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jpgmotoman, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Jan 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    Jpgmotoman

Jpgmotoman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just wanna let my fellow Tacoma owners be aware if you are running older version of spc uca with older version balljoints might wanna inspect thoroughly had mine break yesterday which resulted in one hell of a ride with possible other damage to other front end parts luckily it happened at 40 mph instead of the 70 I was running on highway where I just exited a mile back i have been getting a squeaking noise and contacted spc a bit back and since I wasn't original purchaser of truck which had 0 miles on them when I purchased truck and now they have about 25,000 miles on them no wheeling just mainly highway use for work maybe my misfortune can save someone costly repairs and maybe someone's life because if this would of happened on highway it would have been bad spc admitted fault with these so in my opinion they should of been replaced on their dime regardless if you are original owner or not pics will be added later as I tear it apart .

2. Jan 15, 2017 at 8:36 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Ive read a lot of things with people having problems with older ones. Supposedly newer are better, but I have no experience. I would like to get new adjustable UCAs, but I don't want to go with a part that isn't as good as an OEM part. Especially a critical part like this that can cause a serious accident.

Jpgmotoman[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 15, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    qfast817

qfast817 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Fort Worth Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    you have any pics of the ball joint?

4. Jan 15, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    Jpgmotoman

Member:
    No as I got to go buy as jack due to somebody stealing Mine but will definitely post pics of damaged parts got new upgraded version of ball joints but with working so many hrs just ain't had time to replace also I will check bushings due to reading these old version uca had bushing issues luckily wasn't on highway because at 40 miles and hr it was a crazy ride and if would of been on highway would of definitely ripped off wheel and probably would of had fender damage also as at 40 it took a chunk out of fender flares .

5. Jan 15, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    Jpgmotoman

Member:
    And some thing that could of been better is the finish on these I know it's cosmetic but when you go with upgraded parts they should stand out and look like a upgrade and not like a stock one with a rusty finish should of been powder coated instead of a thin layer of paint it ain't like these are cheap parts at 400-500 a set .

6. Jan 15, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    Uhm they are cheap in comparison to the rest of the uca market

Thesandaddict likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I'm glad your ok and truck sounds like it's in a repairable state.

What exactly was the cause of failure, maybe not warn of the entire product or failed part until you have a root cause. My old style SPC ball joints wore heavily where the ball meets the "bolt" because I never added grease and the factory amount of grease is minimal. I was the cause in this case, and with proper care I believe the ball joints would last a long time.

8. Jan 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Such a flare for the dramatic. "If I had been going 2mph faster I'd be dead for sure!" lol

Your UCA failed. You pulled safely out of traffic. Nobody died. You're fine.

The OEM UCA could have failed in exactly the same manner as they're VERY similar designs only the SPC version gives you adjustment for camber corrections which is necessary for lifts above a certain amount to keep your alignment safe. It's not a WMD it's an adjustable UCA. You can pay more for a different design/style but guess what.... they can fail too. Oh noes!!!! So much hyperbole these days.

In the infamous words of Aaron Rodgers: R. E. L. A. X.

This is a wearable part much like the OEM ones. Parts fail all the time. People die as a result sometimes. If you're that scared don't drive a car.

p.s. The bold lettering doesn't overcome the lack of punctuation.

TTT, MadDaddy, GhostRider1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jan 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Have you contacted them? They are rather supportive of taking back older models, and updating you with the newest one. Things happen- regardless of the manufacturer or brand.

Sandman614 likes this.
  10. Jan 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Jpgmotoman

Member:
    And yes sandman since I wasn't original purchaser no warrenty applies .

11. Jan 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    I drove 100tkm/62tmls with older type ball joints, then noticed a little freeplay and changed them and inner bushings to the new type. No complaints.

12. Jan 15, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    TTT

TTT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Los Gatos, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Fox 2.0 w/reservoir, 17" Fuel Vapors, RCI skids, Pelfreybilt bumper, BAMF sliders
    "....contacted spc a bit back and since I wasn't original purchaser of truck which had 0 miles on them when I purchased truck..."

So you knew the earlier production ones were a bad design, and you continued using them?

scocar likes this.
  13. Jan 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    :worthless:

MadDaddy likes this.
  14. Jan 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Wow. So you knew there was a problem with UCAs with a known problem well documented on this forum, chose to not fix it, it broke, then you warn everyone with a hard to read rant, then start calling people dildos.

Welcome to the site.

Lostsheep and MadDaddy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top