1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG all terrain or Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nsuccop26, May 11, 2011.

?

Which tires are better

Poll closed Jun 10, 2011.
  1. BFG All Terrain

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

34 vote(s)
    54.8%
  1. Jun 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    i'd stay away from the duratracs regarding wear - the tire people i've talked to tell me they generally wear out relatively quickly. mind you, i haven't had experience with them. i've had nothing but great luck with my bfg's, and based on the terrain in so cal, will be continuing to use them.

gmanrider9 likes this.
  2. Jun 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    I can't imagine a better tire than the Duratracs. I love them.

You may get 15-20K more miles out of the BFG's though, but you will also pay more for them.

From what I've read, the BFG's wear better but the Duratracs perform better (and look better). There's a trade off. What's important to you?

3. Jun 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    FWIW, I know of at least 4 people personally who have comfortably gotten 45-50K out of their Duratracs. The wear may not be as good as BFG, but it's not so bad that they should automatically be dismissed from consideration. Many people have reported that Duratracs are a better performing tire in snow and mud.

4. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    had both, i really liked the bfg's, I really like the duratracs so far. duratracs have been better in the winter by far. bfg's were quieter on road.

5. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Just overheard by professionals at the Baja 500: "I don't get flats. I run Goodyears."

Also overheard: "These Grabbers suck. Good for malls. I'm sponsored by them but they suck."

6. Nov 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    freer

freer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 SR5
    lift kit
    I have tried both tires. From personal experience, the Wrangler Duratrac is a far better tire than those of the BFG All Terrain K/O's. I found the Wranglers handled better on wet surfaces as well as dirt roads. They also stand up nicely in the snow. The tread wear was exceptional. I had the Duratrac's on my 2011 Tacoma for 2 years, drove across Canada on a road trip, and still had 60% of the tread life left, before I swapped them out for the BFG's. That was a terrible mistake. I have since gone back to the Wrangler Duratrac. It is a far more aggressive tire -not just in appearance, but tread too. In my personal opinion, you're wasting your money on the BFG All Terrain K/O.

7. Nov 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    overheard from professional Nascar driver: "I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger. "

8. Nov 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    bolio

bolio Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    08 trd OR 4x4
    I've had both on my taco. Duratracs for snow-winter and a little better on mud, a little lighter but louder than the KO's as they wear. KO's for tougher sidewalls, puncture resistance, last longer and have worn more evenly for me. New KO2's for me since I hear they are even stronger and I need sidewall protection for off roading I do. I am considering the ST MAXX as well, but I hear they are heavier than advertised, need to confirm this.

9. Nov 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    3 year old thread boys...

10. Nov 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    good catch.

11. Mar 6, 2017 at 6:40 AM
    Spencer97TJ

Spencer97TJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spence
    CT
    stock
    Should I bother with either? I don't wheel this truck, it's for commuting and towing a camper. I need some new tires, and just don't want the boring cheap tires that it came with.

12. Mar 6, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    dumprat

dumprat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Southern B.C.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma DCLB
    TSB leafs, weather techs, ram mount,jack&shovel mount, and more to come.
    Had several sets of bfg all terrains. No problems ever.

Two sets of duracraps. One set of E rated ona 3/4 ton. They rock chunked really bad on one trip up north. Bought a second set for the jeep, thought they would be good on a light vehicle. Was up bear hunting with wife and kids. Cut both passenger side tires through the treadblock to the rim! One small rock about the size of a football in a wheel rut. All while crawling down hill in low range.

Will never own a set of Goodyear tires again.

Spencer97TJ likes this.
  13. Mar 6, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    Spencer97TJ

Spencer97TJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spence
    CT
    stock
    i m going with general grabber at2 im not offroading this truck in new england would get effed up fast on the rocks.

14. Sep 15, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    gmanrider9

gmanrider9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Blue Toyota Tacoma TRD DBC
    3" Toytec Lift, Rigid Industries Grill, 10" SR2 Light Bar, Auxbeam Front Spot Rear Flood, All Pro Bumpers, Projector Retrofit Lights, 33" Tires, Smittybuilt Winch, Raised K&N Air Intake
    Thread Resuscitation. Only have about 30K On my Duratrac's and they are just about toast. Sliced my sidewall twice running at 20 PSI offroading in snow and had to replace them both. Surprisingly a 285 75 R16 BFG is cheaper than a new Duratrac tire. Probably going to go with BFG's.

Products Discussed in

To Top