1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFGoodrich A/T KO vs Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cranky, Apr 10, 2009.

?

Which tires?

1. BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO

609 vote(s)
    78.1%
  2. Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor

112 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Other (post in thread)

59 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. bbaggett

bbaggett Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited DCSB 4x4
    I want to either try some Firestone Destination A/T for the awesome reviews or Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2.

2. wingspar

wingspar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    Been doing some research for tires. Due to my remote location, I must do it all online, however yesterday I got to a larger town and stopped in at a tire store. At the time the Cooper AT3's were at the top of my list, but the guy at the store recommended the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO as the best AT tire they have sold for a good number of years. He had one in the showroom, and I got to look at some AT3's that had just been installed on a customers car and watch him drive off. They were quiet.

In person the AT3's looked too aggressive and the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO’s didn’t look aggressive enough. For those with experience with both, how does each tire wear and does either tire get noisier with age?

My stock tires are 245/75/16 and I’m considering going with 265/70/16. Wondering how the extra width of the 265/70's affect highway handling.

3. Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Bone Stock!
    I know this is few years old but to anyone else, Ive had both and the Goodyears are quieter and last longer in my experience both being 6 ply in same sizes. The Silent armors rode better and felt more secure in snow living in northern nevada we get good snow falls. So I would go with the Goodyears in a heartbeat when the time comes

4. teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB SR5 4X4 Nautical Blue
    Check out my Build
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more... I find it hard to believe that you thought they were good in the snow.

I've posted in a few different threads in regard to the silent armors. I too have had both. I drive close to 500 miles a week, more in the winter on the silent armors. We run them on our SUV's at work. I had them on an old truck of mine (full size dodge) and got rid of them within close to 5k. I can't stand these tires in the snow! They really scare me and I've been trying to get them to change to a different tire at work(Cheapest on bid). They don't clear well. There isn't enough area between treads. They seem to hydroplane on water. In the snow they just fill up and basically become slicks! I think we have to change them every 20-30k as well at work, seems like we are always getting new tires because of no tread left.

One plus is I guess they are quieter...

Apparently they have discontinued them anyway and the replacement tire does seem to have a much better tread pattern.

5. isu2014

isu2014 RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Minnetonka
    Vehicle:
    01 SUPERCHARGED TRD OR MANUAL 4x4 V6
    View the build. Too much to list.
    I plowed through 14" of snow with my silentarmors. And even pulled out a dodge 2500 on icy roads. Took some tugs but they gripped enough.

The goodyear guy told me they discontinued the silentarmor now and they have something new and probably better.

6. Markus326

Markus326 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT
    I had two sets of BFG A/T's on my Jeep Wranglers. Definitely installing them on my Tacoma as soon as i need tires.

7. VAYoder4167

VAYoder4167 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 04 toyota tacoma sr-5
    Magnaflow dual catback exhaust, 5100 bilsteins all around with 1" body lift and stock coils, 33" BF Goodrich sitting on a set of 15" Alloy Ion wheels
    Go with the BFG's they are good AT's and they can handle alittle mud and off-roading if you throw it at them. They are quiet on the road and tread wear is very little. Alittle pricey but they are worth it.

8. Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 TRD 4x4 Ext Cab V6 Manual
    Destination ATs are shit for off-road. Mine have chunked, worn unevenly, and worn very quickly. Two developed slow leaks. They suck.

EDIT: I rode BFG AT TKOs for 10 years on my Tacoma and they served me very well.

To Top