1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big problem

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by austinmacry, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    austinmacry

austinmacry [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    I know this is a tacoma forum but I need as much input as possible for my 4runner 3vze (V6) manual as well.

Okay, it may be electrical, but maybe mechanical??? Me and my buddy have never seen this happen. I was driving down the road in my 91 4runner and when i changed gears the engine died and went to neutral. I pulled over and turned my hazards on but that killed all electrical. So I took the key completely out and then turned it back on. Lights came on just fine. Went to start it and it wasn't idling correctly. After a min or so it returned to normal. At this time i tried the hazards again but the rpm's dropped down again so i left those off. I stuck it into 1st gear and put in the e-brake. As soon as i did this the engine shut off again. So i tried a few different combination's but could never get it to move especially with the e-brake on. The tac would jump every once in awhile and any electrial thing i turned on or off would not help the problem. If i hit the brake or moved the stick it would also mess with it a little. I need some serious help. Any input is grateful.

2. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    My Volvo did something like this, one of the main engine harness looms, the insulation on a number of the wires was disintegrating and shorting each other out, no clue if it could be the same type of problem or not with the Toyota. Maybe the ignition switch?

3. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    austinmacry

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Hmmm... wires seem to be a common idea

4. Nov 1, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    PR45

PR45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Check the ground cables and connections everywhere you can think of first.

5. Nov 2, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I had a similar incident happen to me in my 94 Pickup V6. Mine was the Mass Air Flow sensor, it had cracked in half and was shorting out causing power loss and idle issues. Make sure it's not your battery either, that can cause some major problems in those trucks too.

6. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    austinmacry

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Well I replaced the negative battery terminal, the positive terminal piece that attaches to the actual battery, and put a larger gauge wire going from the positive to the large fuse box that sits right next to it. Also replaced the negatives ground and the old negative wire I also grounded to the body just in case something was plugged into it. It runs like it did the day before it died again!!!:D:D:D

Products Discussed in

To Top