1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bike Rack modification for 15 mm Axles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jbrooks, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 21, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    jbrooks

jbrooks [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I recently bought a new Mountain Bike that has the new 15 mm axle. My current system to carry my other bikes will not work.

I have XPORT fork mount carriers mounted to the rail system. The new bike does not have drop outs to fit into the skewers.

I welded a piece of steel tubing to a 4 X 4 inch steel plate. The tubing internal diameter just big enough to accept the new axle. I cut the length of the tubing to be the same as the wheel hub (100 mm)

I then drilled holes in the plate the same as the mounts so that the tubing is an inch higher than the other mount. I mounted the steel plate behind the other mount. I did this for both of my mounts.

I secured the mounts by using an one inch piece of aluminum to fit in the rail. I drilled 1/4 holes in it to place 1/4 inch machine screws secured to the plate with a lock washer and an nut. I mounted the mounts to the rail with another lock washer and nut.

I am now able to carry my road bikes or my wife's bike with the standard mounts or my new mountain bike.

IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg

2. Jun 30, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    How do you store your wheel?

I have the same fork mounting system but want a mount for the wheel.

3. Jun 30, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    jbrooks

jbrooks [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I wedge it between the front of the bed and a pedal, then bungy it to the bike with one of the small ball end cords.

I'm taking the bikes out this weekend. I'll post a picture then.

Products Discussed in

To Top