1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 bottom out before bumper stop contact?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by humtaco, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Nov 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    humtaco

humtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I installed the 5100's on the rear of a completely stock (no mods) 95.5 Tacoma. For those who are wondering the longer shock goes on the right hand - U.S. passenger side.

The 5100's are longer than the OEM shocks and right now it looks like the shock will bottom out before the bumper stop contacts the frame. Although there is say 6" of space between the bumper stop and frame and maybe 3-4" of travel left on the shock, due to the angle/geometry of the shock, it's possible that it won't bottom but I think it will.

This weekend I'll be loading firewood and will load the truck until the bumper stop contacts the frame (or the shock bottoms first.) It should be an interesting test. The Timbren's may be on my shopping list next.

BTW, I got the shock from Down South Motorsports, great customer service and prices!

Happy Thanksgiving! HT

2. Nov 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    If it does bottom out before the bumpstop, yo could just throw an aal in the rear.

3. Nov 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    humtaco

humtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    A good thought - having an extra leaf will potentially reduce the amount of times bottoming out takes place but no matter how many leafs you throw in once you put enough weight on the leafs one of two things will happen next, either the bumper stop will contact the frame or the shocks will bottom out.

Products Discussed in

To Top