1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PA452, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I've done plenty of searches, but I'm not quite finding what I'm looking for because most people who switch to 5100s also are doing a lift.

I have an SR5 (non-TRD) that is pretty much stock. I think the ride quality is kind of poor and has gotten dramatically worse over the past 10K miles or so. I get a lot of bump steer on uneven surfaces. Little imperfections in the road seem to frequently have a dramatic effect on the steering. I've also noticed I have to be careful when coming to a stop on bumpy surfaces because the ABS likes to kick in.

I don't want to lift the truck and I don't offroad. I do get onto dirt roads fairly often, but my truck is used as a daily driver. Would Bilstein 5100s be a good option as an upgrade?

I've done searches, but I see varying reviews on the effects the 5100s will have. I'm assuming that's due to how they're set. I see some people say they firm things up and will actually make the ride less comfortable, and others say they're great across the whole spectrum, making the ride much softer and more comfortable for the little bumps but providing firmer cushioning on the heavy stuff.

The other option I was considering was just buying some low mileage TRD shocks, as I see a ton of them up for sale all the time.

What do you guys think?

2. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The 5100's at stock setting will be an improvement. As for the ABS, I'd suggest going to a ceramic pad. It cured my issues.

3. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I'm running 5100's at stock height, and love them. I installed them on all four corners, and the truck seems more stable now. Previously, the rear end would bounce all over when driving over an uneven railway crossing. Now it's way more controlled. To me, the ride seems smoother compared to my factory Bilsteins.

How many miles on your current shocks?

4. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't like the ABS on the Tacoma in general, but I attribute the specific issue I'm referring to to the wheels kind of bouncing and not maintaining contact with the ground as I'm trying to stop. The ABS senses a wheel trying to lock up and kicks in. It's actually not a huge problem usually, but just because I know to watch for it and try to avoid having to brake on ripple-like surfaces.

5. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I don't know about the non-trd shocks but I do know that the TRD billy's are stiffer than the 5100's. If your stock shocks are as stiff as the TRD, then 5100's should be an improvement for you.

6. Jan 16, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    to be honest I have 5100's set at 1.75, and I don't notice anything different

Products Discussed in

To Top