1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 vs. spacer lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rik06, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Apr 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    rik06

rik06 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CO.
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    Revtek spacer/block lift.
    Ok, I've been reading the threads and reading about the Bilstein adjustable shocks.

I currently have a Revtek 3" spacer lift on my 06 standard cab, 4 cyl, 5-speed, 4x4 Tacoma. The lift came with the truck when I bought it. It originally had 285 tires on it. It looked awesome, but there was no power and the steering/alignment was wierd. I replaced the tires with 265 standard truck tires (the Dunlops from Discount Tire that everyone hates ;) but I don't really mind them. I had the tires balanced and the alignment done. Obviously steering improved, but there's still that shimmy/wandering on the highway, which I beleive is from the 3" lift killing the caster/camber (one of those c's). This truck is my commuter/all around vehicle. I drive on the highway daily and I have been trying to make the truck more highway friendly.
    I originally ordered Fabtech steering stabilizer shocks, but sent them back because I heard about TC UCAs. I thought that would be cool and they would probably resolve the alignment/wandering issue. However, due to the price, spacer lift, this is probably overkill. (But they would make for some cool bling :D). Now I discovered the 5100s. I want the truck's steering to perform normally (better than it is) on the highway, but I still want a levelled look. My question is do the 5100's with the front set to 2.5 reduce shimmy compared to 3" lift? Also, would new rear 5100 Bilsteins affect height or do I need to leave the blocks in the rear springs?

Thanks for read'n

2. Apr 29, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    not sure if the 5100's will affect the wandering, but i know they wont add any lift to the rear

3. Apr 29, 2008 at 9:28 PM
    rik06

rik06 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CO.
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    Revtek spacer/block lift.
    Or...Can I remove the spacers/blocks and install front and rear shocks, then set the front height to match the rear's stock height? Might not be as high, but still might be level...Anyone done this? Any pics? Specifically on with a standard cab?

4. Apr 30, 2008 at 6:01 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    in regards to your first question, what do you mean by "shimmy"? I have the 5100's on the front. so you are level right now with the 3in lift right? if you bump down to 5100's at 2.5 you will no longer be level with the back. did i read correctly when you said the back had blocks? if so, then you can take them out, take out the spacers up front, and add the 5100's. when you do that you will probably need to set the 5100's at 2.5 or 1.75 in order to be level with the back. set at 1.75 you should have no issues. however, at 2.5 my steering wanders slightly at highway speeds. not bad but enough to notice. in addition, at 2.5 i cant get it perfectly alligned. camber or caster are off, you sacrifice one for the other. if camber is in spec then caster is not and vice versa. if you want to have them set at 2.5 i have heard that upper control arms will alleviate the wander and the alignment issues. they are expensive and i've heard they are overkill for such a small lift but they seem to work from what i've read. if you have any more questions let me know

Products Discussed in

To Top