1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100's set at 1.75, son wants more than 2.5

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Keats, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    a pic of mine with billies set @ 2.5" with tsb aal in the rear
    [​IMG]

i think you should start out by getting the height adjusted, get alignment and then let your son look at it.

Kudos to your son for his service!! :thumbsup:

2. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    i second this suggestions, personally think it is the best way to go....lifted truck, OEM alignment, no need for new upper control arms, can be used with current bilstein shocks, no rubbing w/ 33s...the list goes on and on...

3. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    BradleyJ33

BradleyJ33 Geaux Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB S/C'd
    TRD Supercharger with URD 2.825" Pulley, Toytec Ultimate Lift, LR UCAs, BFG All Terrain 275/70R17s on Procomp 7089 17" wheels, BAMF rock sliders, Viper 5902 alarm/remote start with smartstart, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT dvd/navi head unit, 2 Pioneer 7" monitors in headrests, 2 Rockford Fosgate Shallow-mount 10" subs pushed by RF Punch 500.2 amp, RF 5.25 components (front doors) and 5.25 full range (back doors) pushed by RF Power 400.4 amp, sound deadened, Whistler pro remote radar detector, scangauge II, debadged, Sockmonkey decals, blacked headlights with FX-R projectors, DDM Tuning HID fogs, Grillcraft upper and lower MX grill with Hella 500ffs converted to HIDs behind, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump upgrade, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, Bestop Supertop, Wet Okole seat covers, Weathertech floor liners, Pop & Lock tailgate handle, Lighted 4x4 switch mod, 2 110v AC outlets in cab mod, Always at 400W mod, Maplights on with dome light mod, homelink in headliner mod, foglight
    I'm thinking about getting this same setup...how does it ride?

4. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    Keats

Keats [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DC LB
    Thanks to all who have contributed comments and suggestions thus far. The alignment issue is important as this truck will see a fair amount of freeway driving. My son is stationed at Camp Pendleton, north of San Diego and when he comes back from Iraq he'll get roughly 30 days leave. Once he's back at Camp pendleton he'll make the trip home to Phoenix once or twice a month. It's important that the truck be streetable enough that it doesn't take both hands on the wheel to keep it in one lane at 75-80 mph. I've told him that while the big lifts look cool, especially with some aggressive Mud-terrians, it may not be the way to go. I think Billy's @ 2.5 and some nice BFG All-Terrians would give him the best of both worlds. One of the replies was to find out what he wants and go from there. I think I know what he wants but it would really be a strain with his income. With the money made during this deployement he was able to come up with a good down payment . We sold his 94 4Runner after he deployed (over 200k miles) and the idea was he get something newer that was dependable and good looking. I think he's got that with this truck. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and have more tools than Carter has pills but my son never got into "working on the cars". I've always told him that if you can't/won't do the work, just ask two words "How Much?" Thanks to all and I'm counting the days till he's home.

5. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Your plan sounds just about spot on.

New tires and adjust the front billys to 2.5. I'm sure he'll be quite happy.

I don't have to drive with two hands on the freeway. The roads here in SoCal aren't the smoothest either. I'll tell you though, my M/Ts compared to my buddys A/T follow the road more. He's got a full 3" lift with stock UCAs. The BFGs will be great!

If money allows, I suggest getting some Spidertrax spacers. If you stick with the stock wheels, running 33" tires will cause rubbing on the UCA...spacers will be needed. Otherwise if you buy a new set of wheels, just make sure you have a good offset. :)

Post pictures when you're done!

I'm 23 and absolutely love to tinker with cars. I have a Subaru STi that's built for track purposes by my own hands...I wish my dad was into cars like I am...his hobby is audio though...I think that's awesome that you do this for your son!

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

6. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    I don't understand what the debate is here??????

The truck already has 5100"s on it, so just set it at 2.5 to give it more lift. If he doesn't like it then, then explore your other options.

7. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I;m glad your getting the wheels powdercoated. and as other members have said, bump it up to 2.5''.
    Might as well do it while the wheels are off!

8. Jul 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    Padilla1880

Padilla1880 "Let's Ride!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad V6 SR5 PreRunner
    Sounds like your well on your way to having a great welcome home present for your son. Pretty much the same setup I'm running minus the TSB for me, but i added the 5100's in the rear which raised the back about an inch. I do have to SoCal Lean (lower in the back). Mine is a daily driver with a TON of miles. I have taken it out and and wheeled, just light trails though.

Like others have said you should be fine with the stock uca's but getting new ones (my next major purchase) is highly recommended to correct wandering and alignment issues.

As far as the stock look that your son is concerned about, nothing that some new rubber and wheels won't fix, or even painting the stockers and some new rubber would look good. Bigger tires not really necessary. Throw some wheel spacers (spidertrax) behind the stockers to get that wider stance look. If you go bigger tires 285/33 trimming will be involved. Here's a link to another forum that i posted in about trimming:http://www.tacomaworld.com/out.php?url=http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299694. For wheels make sure you have a 4.5 backspace and try to get a wheel that is hub centric vs lug centric. Most places that balance i believe do hub centric balancing unless customer states that their wheels are lug centric hoping that the place has the proper adapter ring for lug centric balancing.

If your son decides he wants more lift in the front from 2.5 the ToyTec Adjustable Front Coilver Kit for the Bilstein 5100's is a great add-on to get the full 3" in the front (maybe another future purchase for me if i don't go with some FOX's or Icons).

Well hope that helps. Your son is stationed at CP not to for from me. I'm sure he will enjoy his truck with whatever way you decide to go.

9. Jul 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    Keats

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DC LB
    Thanks again to all for suggestions & comments. My son now looks at this forum when he has access to a computer and has seen the comments and replies to this post. You know how kids are; if dad says it, it's because it's what dad wants. If their friend or someone else says it, then it's the bomb, sick, bitchin, etc. You guys have been a big help. Thanks, Tom

10. Jul 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness

Thats what we're here for! :thumbsup: We wish him a speedy return.

11. Jul 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    sweeeet, good advice on this thread. Ive got my 5100s set at 2.5 with 3 leaf rear springs.. i kinda wanna add on my AAL.. but dunno if it'll give it a massive rake..

12. Jul 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    Padilla1880

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    Hey Keats, since your doing all this for your son, ever consider doing the same to your?

13. Jul 27, 2009 at 4:24 PM
    Keats

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DC LB
    I already purchased bilstein 5100's for my truck, along with the Toytec AAl to go with my TSB rear springs. I plan to have the fronts at 1.75. My sons truck came with a color matched snugtop shell which he didn't want. It now sits on my truck. I'll post pics later. My sons wheels are broken down so I'm off to Arizona Powdercoating. Tom

14. Jul 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    i wanna see the wheels after powdercoating!

15. Jul 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    Keats

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DC LB
    I'll definitely post pics of them once they're done. No need to post pics of wheels "before" as I'm sure plenty of you are familiar with the TRD Off-Road 16" wheels. I know a lot of people rattle can their wheels and I've seen good results posted on this forum. I decided to powdercoat them because the truck isn't being driven and I 've got the time to do it. Also the powdercoating shop sends them out to be chemically stripped first so the paint will really adhere to the wheels. I didn't want to sand all those nooks and cranny's on each wheel and them clean them with acetone. Remember in my earlier post when I said how hot it is here in Phoenix? In some cases you shouldn't deprive someone else of their livelihood, and this is one such case. Tom

16. Jul 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8
    Tinting those windows would also make a big difference. It will look more aggressive especialy with the powdercoated wheels.......

maybe even the BHLM and black out the emblems....BUT you gotta save some of the fun for him:D

17. Jul 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    it's a firmer ride than stock. It rode better after I got an alignment and put around 200 miles on it. I figured the shocks and aal had to break in a bit. I like it now but I can see where coilovers would make for a smoother ride than using the stock springs.

18. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    Padilla1880

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    Sounds good Keats! Definitely post up once everything is done! SSM

19. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    FYI, a guy named "eyedoc" on toyotanation.com has come powdercoated rims for sale. not black, but thought you might be interested in some wheels already done.

here is a link to his for sale thread.

20. Jul 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    Keats

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DC LB
    Is it possible to change the setting from existing 1.75 to 2.5 with shock still installed. I was thinking I could use the spring compressor to remove tension on the lower spring base plate and then I would be able to make the change. is this possible? I do realize I will need to have an alignment done once i make this change

Products Discussed in

To Top