1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bird Crap

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by coffeesnob, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 4:29 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    A bird plopped a splat of crap on my hood. I cleaned it off asap but it has actually left a faint imperfection in my paint exactly the size of the splat. Its hard to see so most would never notice it but I can't get it out. Any ideas? That bird must have been eating very acidic I guess. Thanks:confused:

2. Jun 6, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Hit up some clay bar, a good wash, and then some wax (even just the spray stuff oughta work).

3. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    That once happened on my mustang and I was told by a body shop that some Bird Shit as a high level of acid in it and can eat the paint on a rig.

4. Jun 6, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    This is true. Bird shit is very acidic, and if it isnt removed sooner than later, it can certainly etch in to the paint. In most cases, if its removed quickly enough, a coat of wax can help hide the imperfection, but to completely remove it, you'll need to polish it out w/ a good compound/polish.

5. Jun 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Use a random orbital buffer and polish it out. Then apply a good coat of wax to prevent future bird crap attacks.

6. Jun 6, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    I don't know... I would even try goo gone. The only thing I'd have to lose is bird crap residue. Haha. Good luck man. I feel your pain. That's like spending $100 to get door dings removed only to get a new one the day after. Its like WTF?

7. Jun 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    oh, yes, true... Carnauba wax tends to protect better against bird droppings compared to a synthetic sealant.

8. Jun 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

I did have a good coat of wax on it. But that bird must have drunken some hdrochloric acid.

9. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Depending on how long it sat on the paint, it may have etched it to the point where you can't remove it. I have several spots like that on my hood from the previous owner.

There is only about 3 mils (.003") of total paint on most newer vehicles (that's primer, sealer, base coat and clear coat combined), so you don't have much material to work with. If a little polishing with a high-quality micro-abrasive polish doesn't remove the etching, leave it alone; if you polish too much you'll go through the clearcoat and things will be worse.

I keep quick detailer and a few microfibers in my truck so I can wipe of that stuff as soon as I see it. Time is a big factor in these instances.

Products Discussed in

To Top