1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BiXenon HID Kit Hi-beams Not Working

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NYProud, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Nov 1, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    NYProud

NYProud [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Ext Cab SR5 4x4 TRD
    CATZ Hyper White Fog Lamps in Front Bumper, LowRider Hard Shell Bed Cover
    Just installed a digital BiXenon HID conversion kit in my '98 Taco 4x4 TRD (good quality kit from Retro-Solutions, 6000K, 55W). Installation was smooth - connected to left headlight near battery, right headlight plug disconnected. Low beams work great but no hi-beams, either with switch or flasher, and no blue hi-beam indicator light on instrument panel...lights just stay on low-beam.

Checked all connections (I am an old Air Force electronic technician), everything looks good. Checked Toyota schematics...no help. :confused:

Anyone know or heard of this problem before? Would appreciate any assistance provided. E-mail me at newyorkproud@cox.net.

Thanks...Chief

2. Nov 1, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    And these HID's have high and low beams? I thought they are 1 brightness with no high beam. I guess the Bi part is the dual brightness.

Hmmmm? There has to be a wire missing here that tells the ballast to go from low to high when you pull the high beam selector..? Have you called the makers tech support line?

3. Nov 1, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    NYProud

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Yes, these are (supposed to be) Hi & Low beams, thus the BiXenon configuration. But since the hi-beam switch/flasher and blue indicator light are completely inoperative, I'm guessing there's a power (12v) circuit disconnect somewhere. I e-mailed Retro-Solutions yesterday...hoping for a solution.
    Thanks for the reply.....Chief :)

4. Nov 1, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    I looked online for anything to help, but dead ends. Hopefully they will get back to you ASAP.... Good luck. Let us know what you find.

5. Nov 25, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    NYProud

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Problem solved...bad relay. Retro-solutions shipped me a new relay, installed...bingo...everything works as advertised. Awesome kit

6. Nov 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    NYProud

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Johny...not certain what you mean by 'pictures of the lights' but if you'd like to see the conversion kit(s), retro-solutions website has great pix of all their Bi-Xenon kits...bulbs, wiring harnesses and ballasts...and they come in a neat little aluminum (re-useable) case. I haven't taken any photos of the install but its really simple - it really is plug 'n play. Most difficult phase is routing the wiring. It was easy for me because I'm a retired Air Force electronic tech, and I'm accustomed to neat wire routing...and I keep my truck that way too.

Take a look at retro-solutions.com. Their kits are not cheap Chinese-made junk...they are a U.S. firm out of CT...with great customer service, and good (not cheap) prices. Cost me $173.00 with a $10 discount for 1st-time buyers. I've bought the 8000K kit...the lights are bright white with just a hint of blue, but they stock many different color temperature kits - all lifetime warranty.

If you have any other questions or need help, let me know...or e-mail Todd (at retro-solutions sales).

Good Luck, Chief

7. Nov 25, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    NYProud

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Johny...I have the same 55W Bi-Xenon kit in my Taco EXCEPT I have the 8000K (slightly blue-white) bulbs. Yes, they are street legal in all states. I've never gotten flashed by other drivers - so, once you install the kit, make certain your headlights (low beams) are adjusted properly so you don't get flashed by pissed-off drivers thinking you have your high beams on. I adjusted mine - and keep them just a slight bit lower...but no problem because they are so bright they light up like you wouldn't believe...until you drive around at night...like daylight !!

Bi-Xenons are Hi and Low beams...work just like OEM except 3 times brighter and whiter. The bulbs have one Xenon filament with a shield that partially covers the filament in Low beams, then the shield moves - electrically - to uncover the entire filament to full beam when you turn on or flash the Hi beam switch. Works great.

Hope that helps...

Products Discussed in

To Top