1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bjmoose installs full OME kit & rear brake lines with pics

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bjmoose, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Jan 21, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    So do you really need to do brake lines with this kit? I am not going to be rock crawling this rig.

What other things where needed that did not come with the kit? So far I see it is sway bar lowering brackets and U-bolts for leaf springs. Anything else?

2. Jan 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    3" OME lift (HD), LR UCAs, All-Pro Sliders, All-Pro APEX Front Bumper w/PIAA 530 Fogs, All-Pro Skidplate, 1" diff drop, vent visors, OCTaco Braided Lines, baby seat (forward-facing)
    Get extended lines. You never know when you'll extend the front or rear and damage the oem stuff.

Sway bar is over-rated. Delete.

My kit came with u-bolts.

3. Jan 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    totmacher

totmacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN (memphis mostly)
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab TRD Sport
    BHLM, Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, Hoen all weather fog bulbs, window tint, LED interior lights (cupholder & floor), exterior LED courtesy lights. OME/Dakar lift. 50W reverse lights. Painted wheels.
    My sway bar was fine. After about a year I completely removed the sway bar and I think it rides smoother now. Think about how far the axle might droop if a tire shop lifts truck by frame rather than axle. I checked it. Stock rear brake lines pull rather tight. Some bridge transitions and other hwy bumps can cause a lot of extension. I thought it was a risk not worth taking so got rear lines. My leafs from Toytec had ubolts included.

4. Jan 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    DESTROYERRACER

DESTROYERRACER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5 speed
    2010 Reg Cab 4x4, de-flapped, OME 884s/90000s, Wheelers leaf packs/Bilsteins, Audi A8 headlights, 255/85-16 Cooper ST Maxx's, 8 inch Type R sub, JL door speakers, 1000 watt amp, carbon filter nixxed and K and N air filter because its not dusty here and I do ALL my own work
    so regular cab 2nd gen guys.....how are the OME front coils holding up over time?I have the wheelers HD leaf packs out back with billy shocks....did that first due to breaking a rear leaf spring awhile back.have stupid rake right now but knew id be upgrading front eventually which is coming up soon now.i was thinking of 884s with top plate to keep some down travel instead of 885s as I wont see armor for quite awhile but want to lift and bring her close to or level in the front.thoughts?!I did remove the overload spring from the leafs and am still netting about 3 inches higher in the rear.dont want a super stiff front though or bro lean but also dont want the front to sag or settle too much over time

5. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose [OP] Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Locker, Yaesu FT 8900 Ham Radio
    I don't know of anyone who has measured, but it seems like if you also replace the UCA, then you'll get a bit more droop with 884s and a small top plate.

The most uncomfortable aspect of my 885 reg cab lift is on pavement going over expansion joints, speed bumps, etc - anything where the suspension tops out and the truck ends up dropping off the small bump.

And that's after adding quite a bit of weight in tools, winch mount, skids, etc...

6. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Agree

7. Feb 4, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    totmacher

totmacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN (memphis mostly)
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab TRD Sport
    BHLM, Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, Hoen all weather fog bulbs, window tint, LED interior lights (cupholder & floor), exterior LED courtesy lights. OME/Dakar lift. 50W reverse lights. Painted wheels.
    I've had 885 on my access cab for 14 months. Same complaint about exp joints and speed bumps. I will say that since removing the sway bar maybe 2 months ago, the ride has smoothed out a lot more. Also, hit bumps at an angle so both fronts don't slam down at the same time.

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    buzhazzard

buzhazzard Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic Grey DC 4X4
    Wet Okole set covers, Weathertech floor mats, blacked out tail lights, leer cap, OME 885s in front and leaf pack in rear with AAL, bhlm, all pro sliders, Pioneer head unit, rear plate bumper, US Off Road hidden winch mount, 10k lb winch
    ordering soon. sub'd for reference.

great write-up!

9. Mar 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Steve, another thanks for your guide. It was nice to find the relevant torque specs in one place.

If you haven't already seen them, the MOOG LCA cam bolt kit would be a nice addition to your OP.

10. Mar 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I've installed 2 sets of Dakars now and as long as you have buddy there to help, you should be able to get the bolts in without using the bottle jack method mentioned. Both times we were able to maneuver them into place and get all the bolts in without too much effort. It's definitely a 2 man job though to get them in there without a lot of difficulty.

11. Mar 16, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I did mine by myself without any problems. Two things helped.

1. As Steve said, get the axle as low as possible so you have room to work. Having the truck sitting fairly high also helps put the job at a more comfortable position.

2. Leave the rear shackle bolts loose so it pivots freely, allowing easy movement of the spring.

12. May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    Teagan141

Teagan141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Teagan
    Llewellyn,PA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    plasti derp rims, BHLM, emblems, (homertaco)raptor style grill, bilistein 5100 set at 2.5 with stock coil, 2 inch custom alcan 8 leaf pack, with icon 2.0 extended travel rear shocks with resies, front and rear spider trax wheel spacers, rigid dully spots mount on the hood with CBI brackets
    finally found someone that did a write up on brake lines thank you i found this very difficult to search for:D

13. Jul 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    Gadget

Gadget New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 DC TRD
    I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but how long were your replacement brake lines?

14. Jul 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement, OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars, LR UCA's, Lifetime Alignment, Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines, LT275/70R17 Firestone Destination A/T's on 17x8 Machined Aluminum Alloy with Light Gunmetal Accents Konig SixShooter Wheels w/Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights, McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts, Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS, (Snow Tires - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 on Stock TRD Sport Wheels w/BORA 1" Wheels Spacers), Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts, Husky Mud Flaps, Silver Tube Step, TRD Skid Plate, Color Matched Satoshi Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem and Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar behind, Relocated Horns, Upper & Lower Eyelids, SilverStar zXe Headlights, SilverStar Fogs, WeatherTech Headlight / Foglight Protection, AutoBahnd RoadBlock Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate, Avid LightBar Color Match Powdered w/DIY Front Plate Holder (NO Bumper Holes), Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdered, 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, DeBadged, SockMonkey Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals, CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Mall Rated & TRD Skid Decals, DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg & Remote Lock, Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear), 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer, BluLogic Hands Free, UltraGauge, Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders, Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers, AutoMate Alarm & Remote Start, WeatherTech FloorLiners (Frt & Rr), WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners), Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover, Bed Mat, Wheel Master 36" SS Spare Tire Inflator/Checker, Spare Lock, Wheel Locks, LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin, Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Silver Handle, TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook, OEM Bed Mat, ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle, Tailgate Hoseclamp, 4 Extra Bed "D" Rings, 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns, LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake, H3R Performance Haltron Clean Agent Fire Extinguishers, FogLight Anytime Mod, Differential Breather Mod, A/C Condensate Drain Mod. TSB's: Transmission, Blower Motor, Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing, 90L Accelerator Pedal, D0L Recall - Driver & Passenger Seat Belts, and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Thanks Steve, Ive read your detailed write up a number of times. Well done.
    Apparently I had a brain fart each time I read the above quote from your OP.
    Now that I'm researching Brake Line replacement, it's pretty glaring.
    Was it the metal brake line you clamped?
    If so, what was the resolution to the destruction?
    Have you realized a non-destructive technique? Threaded plug, cap, etc.?
    Thanks again for making us non-mechanics' lives a little easier.

CC

15. Jul 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement, OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars, LR UCA's, Lifetime Alignment, Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines, LT275/70R17 Firestone Destination A/T's on 17x8 Machined Aluminum Alloy with Light Gunmetal Accents Konig SixShooter Wheels w/Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights, McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts, Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS, (Snow Tires - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 on Stock TRD Sport Wheels w/BORA 1" Wheels Spacers), Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts, Husky Mud Flaps, Silver Tube Step, TRD Skid Plate, Color Matched Satoshi Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem and Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar behind, Relocated Horns, Upper & Lower Eyelids, SilverStar zXe Headlights, SilverStar Fogs, WeatherTech Headlight / Foglight Protection, AutoBahnd RoadBlock Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate, Avid LightBar Color Match Powdered w/DIY Front Plate Holder (NO Bumper Holes), Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdered, 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, DeBadged, SockMonkey Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals, CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Mall Rated & TRD Skid Decals, DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg & Remote Lock, Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear), 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer, BluLogic Hands Free, UltraGauge, Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders, Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers, AutoMate Alarm & Remote Start, WeatherTech FloorLiners (Frt & Rr), WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners), Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover, Bed Mat, Wheel Master 36" SS Spare Tire Inflator/Checker, Spare Lock, Wheel Locks, LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin, Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Silver Handle, TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook, OEM Bed Mat, ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle, Tailgate Hoseclamp, 4 Extra Bed "D" Rings, 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns, LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake, H3R Performance Haltron Clean Agent Fire Extinguishers, FogLight Anytime Mod, Differential Breather Mod, A/C Condensate Drain Mod. TSB's: Transmission, Blower Motor, Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing, 90L Accelerator Pedal, D0L Recall - Driver & Passenger Seat Belts, and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Nevermind.......................

[​IMG]

S.U.R. & R FLS330 Fluid Line Stopper
    +/- Thirty Bucks, Shipped.......... HERE
    Eastwood has them too, for more moola.
    I'll let ya know how the work in a month or two
    Thanks again for the write-up.

CC

16. Jul 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I just let mine drip. Didn't lose that much fluid and was better than clamping brake lines in my opinion.

17. Jul 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Same here. You'd have to be awfully slow to have more fluid drip out than is held in the reservoir, and air isn't going to enter the system until the reservoir runs dry. Clamping a hard line will damage it, and clamping a hose may weaken it. If I feel the need, I slip a simple rubber plug or cap on the end of the hard line. Small sets of plugs and caps are available in many parts stores, and they come in handy.

18. Jul 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I was going pretty slow and just made sure the reservoir stayed full. Was pretty messy but no damage done. Just kept my oil catch pan underneath while I was working. If you get OCTaco lines it should go quicker and be less messy. I had to grind the opening for one side of the lines using Wheeler's lines which slowed things down.

19. Jul 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I wasn't happy with the way the Crown brake hoses I bought through ToyTec fit. The included retention clips didn't engage the brackets properly, and the OEM clips didn't work, either. I found a better solution.

[​IMG]

20. Jul 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose [OP] Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Locker, Yaesu FT 8900 Ham Radio
    Looks like you've solved it - but I clamped the original factory soft lines, since I was going to discard them anyway. No, don't destructively clamp the hard lines. That would be bad. :eek: :D

To Top