1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blacking Out Headlights, How to

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by spencer_hong, Jul 31, 2007.

1. May 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    Ricks2013

Ricks2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    Yes i put some clear silicon sealant around the edge too. Probably over kill but what the hell. Will be a mess if i ever have to take apart to do a retrofit. I think if i ever have to take apart again i will try to remove ALL the old sealant (not looking forward to that) and replace with the same grey stuff, whatever that is.

2. May 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    sfierro

sfierro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Just wondering, what kind of extra sealant did you use?

3. May 12, 2014 at 4:15 AM
    Timbo's Customs

Timbo's Customs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy
    Lakeland FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 f250 6”lift 37s deleted 1997 T4r, tons and 4ds
    1997 t4r has super duty axles, 5.13s locked front and rear. 3 link front with 14" kings. Rear 63s.
    On mine the side reflector came out ok the other one was a pita. Once I get the retro kit I'm doing the same on mine as my wife's but swapping my lights with hers (stock Still) and doing a retro then back lighting the trd logo so it lights up when my parking/running lights are on.

As for the factory seal I just used a flat head to push the bead down in and once that was done I put some clear flexible silicone in the groove and wiped smooth.

4. May 12, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    Yota Man

Yota Man Taco enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport Storm Trooper
    3" Revtech leveling kit, 17x9 XD Revolvers on 275/70/R17 BFG K02s, smoked mirror signals, Spyder tail lights with aftermarket tint, Bulletproof Fabricating grill, debadged everything, trifecta tonneau cover, Flowmaster 40 series cat back exhaust with 4'' MBRP exhaust tip, Black headlight mod and tint, L.E.D. reverse, license, and all interior lights, AJT shifter, more to come.
    Yeah I used a clear silicone also, got it from a boat shop, good for plastic, metal, glass you name it. And really water resistant. I wanted the extra seal mainly because i decided to let a buddy help me pry the lights apart and he went a little over board and stretched out the rubber trimming around the light leaving a little more gap.

5. May 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    sfierro

Member:
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB

Awesome. I'm sure that will hold up really well. I did the same as your buddy in minor places around the headlight leaving little gaps I made with the flathead I used to pry it apart. I did fill it in with some windshield sealant from autozone but I'm not sure if I put enough. It was such a little tube. I never thought to stop at a boat shop. Good idea.

6. May 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    Yota Man

Yota Man Taco enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    3" Revtech leveling kit, 17x9 XD Revolvers on 275/70/R17 BFG K02s, smoked mirror signals, Spyder tail lights with aftermarket tint, Bulletproof Fabricating grill, debadged everything, trifecta tonneau cover, Flowmaster 40 series cat back exhaust with 4'' MBRP exhaust tip, Black headlight mod and tint, L.E.D. reverse, license, and all interior lights, AJT shifter, more to come.
    I Would think even with the gap there would still be lots of seal just from the original grey sealant in there, i bought a whole cylinder and used a caulking gun for it. Its pretty fast drying stuff too. Cant remember what it's called i left it at the shop but will try n find out n let ya know in case you wanna try it too.

7. May 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    sfierro

Member:
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Thank you! I will pick some up if I find any sign of condensation. I am hoping that the original grey sealant holds well too. I'm putting in some LED bulbs for the headlights today and some people have reported condensation after installing them cause they are an odd shape in the back. So I might not know if I messed up the BHLM or the bulb install. -__-

8. May 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    Yota Man

Yota Man Taco enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    The LEDs your putting in, does it not fit right in the rubber covering for the bulbs the way the stocks do? I actually wanted to do that right away too, just the turn signals and amber running lights though.

9. May 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    Ricks2013

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    I have LED headlights (all lights actually) and no problems with any condensation.

10. May 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    Yota Man

Yota Man Taco enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    They worth it? I had HIDs before and had nothing but problems with em.

11. May 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    sfierro

Member:
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Correct. That have a small fan built in the back for regulating heat so I had to take off the metal part that makes the bulb stay put. Then put the rubber ring over the actual bulb, then screw the metal part on again. It was a pain to do but it looks pretty secure.

12. May 13, 2014 at 3:26 AM
    Ricks2013

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    Really? On my 2013 I didnt have to remove any screws at all. I cant even think of why i would need to. The black plastic piece fits into place and gets snapped under the metal spring clamp on the headlight assembly, then the rubber boot slides over that, then the LED bulb/fan assembly goes in and 1/4 turn and that's it. At least that's how mine was. Maybe yours was a little different. I got mine from Jumpers LEDS here on TW. I've had mine for almost 2 months maybe and i love them. I had to zip tie the drivers to the wire harness because when i double sided taped them to fender it caused radio interference with the stereo. Other then that they have been great.

13. May 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM
    sfierro

Member:
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB

The back part of the bulbs might be a little fatter. Here is the stock photo. It was impossible to slide it over the back part. I should have installed it with the headlight assembly off. Sorry to go off topic there. Back to the BHLM, still love them. No condensation so far, but it's 100 degrees and dry.
    ujutu4an_bc0623ad5334b7b3cf13ed811f1a5592b4de09af.jpg

14. May 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    This is getting a little off-topic, but I mounted the drivers for my LED headlights with double sided tape to the side of each plastic headlight housing.

15. May 18, 2014 at 2:12 AM
    Tacomanimal

Tacomanimal TacomaWorld

Member:
    First Name:
    Fredo
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Double Cab
    Diff Breather. Blacked Out Headlights. Tonno Bed Cover. Nerf bars. CB Radio with External Speaker. More to come!
    :stayontopic:
    [​IMG]
    I did not spray the reflective areas of the bulbs. I also used paint that is resistant to high temps.:)[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  16. May 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    Tacomanimal

Tacomanimal TacomaWorld

Member:
    First Name:
    Fredo
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Diff Breather. Blacked Out Headlights. Tonno Bed Cover. Nerf bars. CB Radio with External Speaker. More to come!
    If I had to do it different, I would have used high gloss instead of flat black.[​IMG][​IMG]

17. May 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM
    Yota Man

Yota Man Taco enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Yeeeeah I was gonna say. But it still looks awesome nice job

18. May 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    Tacomanimal

Tacomanimal TacomaWorld

Member:
    First Name:
    Fredo
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Check out the difference with the Plastix, easy as rub on then off.

[​IMG]

TimsTaco likes this.
  19. May 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    Eastcoastin

Eastcoastin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Oahu/San Diego
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 V6
    Pelfreybilt Baja Designs errythang, 20” Onyx6, S2 Sports, & Squadron Pros King 2.5 Resis w/700 springs/Rear 2.5/12" ALCAN Leaf Springs Total Chaos (Rear Relocation, UCA, spindle gussets, LCA skids) Archive Hangers/shackles Toyo 285/75/17 MTs VTX Rogues InSight RetroFits Leer x100 Camper Custom Car Grills thin lip mesh grill mod w/braptor light mod Tail pipe chop
    what are those black inserts in your headlights?
    truck looks awesome!!

20. May 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    Yota Man

Yota Man Taco enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    You didnt actually just ask that did you..?:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top