1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Block vs. Add a leaf

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MikeyD, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Nov 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    thats what that is... i always thought that was my brakes... thanks for the thread bro...

2. Nov 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    c-slak

c-slak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    5100's all around, 265/75/16 BFG ATKO's on MB Razor's, short shift, clutch mod, tsb springs, tsb aal
    Rear leaf pack~$500

TSB-$FREE, tsb aal~ $70.

Not saying it's the best choice but it is definately a highly economical one:D

Axle wrap comment was not to say you are wrong, simply saying with my 1" block I could feel it under very limited circumstances. Hell, I would get it stock driving up the dunes in Mexico! Dumping the block, getting the aal... best of both worlds, not only as good as stock in limiting the axle wrap but better!

3. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    which is one is better tho..?? what are the differences in adding a leaf and getting a whole new leaf pack..??

4. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM
    c-slak

c-slak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    5100's all around, 265/75/16 BFG ATKO's on MB Razor's, short shift, clutch mod, tsb springs, tsb aal
    If money is no concern then a new leaf pack would undoubtedly be better. No argument there.

5. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:24 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    but as far as performance... whats the deference...??? sorry for the newb questions...

6. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM
    c-slak

c-slak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    I'm sure someone else with more knowledge can chime in and help a little more than me with my limited knowledge but I guess I can try; A full leaf pack is designed for a specific purpose. Some are made to increase articulation and others to increase hauling capacity. With a full leaf pack you can basically set it up to perform as you choose. Many companies (Alcan, Deaver, etc) can make them to suit any purpose. Regardless it is designed as a combination of springs in a specific order to obtain certain ride and hauling characteristics.

An add a leaf's purpose is to increase height in general. It is a leaf with more bend to it so as to arch your current spring pack further. This will create lift and in most cases increase the spring rate. It also has been said by many that it will create premature sag in you leafsprings in the long run. There are a few that are made such as Wheelers that actually have you remove the factory overload spring and replace it with the longer add a leaf. This will actually increase flex or articulation.

I hope that helped a bit. Again, I am sure that someone else can explain it a bit better. Most of what I know about it I have actually learned by searching on this website.

7. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    thanks a lot boss... i appreciate the info...

8. Nov 22, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.

at least not YET. It will, it just speeds up the process.

9. Nov 22, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

An AAL wont cause pre mature sag in the leaf pack...It should aid against any sag. ;)

10. Nov 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    MikeyD

MikeyD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    BHLM, HID kit, yellow fogs, Grill craft, Hellas behind grillcraft, LED cup holder mod, after market horn, extra reverse lights, under body glow for off roading at night, pro comp 7089's wrapped in 255/75/17 bfg mud terrains, Toytec coiovers sat at 3.25, 2" add a leaf with 5100's, Satoshi grill mod
    Thanks chris good to know

Products Discussed in

To Top