1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blocking out the license plate

Discussion in 'Photography' started by MSteinhauer, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:07 AM
    MSteinhauer

MSteinhauer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DoubleCab SR5
    Why do people block out their license plate number in photos when they post them on the site? Everyone driving on the road sees it so why is the internet any different? Does it have something to do with the fact that on the forums people might learn a little more about you that the license plate # like where you live or the extra stuff that is on your truck that someone might want to steal or is it something else?

2. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:11 AM
    AR_Taco

AR_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Ar
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4
    3" lift, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N filter, URD short throw shifter, ScangaugeII
    You can go to the address associated with my license plates, you won't find my truck there, it's in a totally different state!

3. Jun 17, 2009 at 1:56 AM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I would have a Texas Plate but I would have to pay extra shit to do it and im not worried about it.. currently working on custom plate ideas

4. Jun 17, 2009 at 3:33 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's exactly right....

Personally, I don't bother blocking mine out. As you said, there's tons of people out there that see it everyday. If people really wanted to find me - they'd do it without needing my plate info.

I really don't have anything that's worth their efforts.

5. Jun 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    SiRMarlon

SiRMarlon The Photo Ninja!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    Well, it's a lot easier for thieves to lurk forums for pictures with exposed license plates than to roll the streets. Also, with picture threads almost everyone shows off what they have so the thieves will know what they're going after. I do it to cover my ass so people can't say "Ohh you plastered my car all over the web and people were able to get my address" and because some forums require your plates to be masked...

It maybe an extra step in my editing and sometimes it gets on my nerves but at the end of the day I don't have to worry about people using my shots to track down the cars they want. Most of you guys may think it's stupid and useless but hey that's the difference between you guys and us who do take the extra step to protect ourselves and others from these low life piece's of shit that are out there stealing cars.

6. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    Paronoia strikes deep ..... into your life it will creep ..... starts when your always afraid .... step out of line and the man come and take you away ...... you beter stop, hey what's that sound everybody looks what going down.

7. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    ahhh yes the Vietnam War ^_^

Products Discussed in

To Top