1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blower motor issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dr. Hook, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Sep 11, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    Dr. Hook

Dr. Hook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    14' Tacoma sport
    TRD pro suspension, TRD baja rims w/duratracs, rock armor side steps & tonneau cover
    a few days ago when I first started my truck in the morning I noticed that no air was blowing through the vents & couldn't hear the sound of the motor working I had the dial on 3 then I tested all the speeds but still no go so I checked the fuses & the relay but they were fine then I went underneath the dash where the hvac system is located then unplugged the resistor & plugged it back in but still no go so I gave the motor housing a light tap then the blower motor started working again lol. Now it's randomly doing this as I have to tap underneath the dash to make it come on again uggh has anyone came across this issue? What is causing this & what should I be checking could it be the blower motor itself is starting to go? Any help would be appreciated

wilcam47 likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2020 at 8:48 PM
    TacoDia

TacoDia Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB SR5 V6 OME Kit H-Dakars
    Had something like this. At first I thought it was all the things you mentioned but turns out from lugging clumsy footed people (mainly young soldiers who had never worn boots before) bending and eventually damaging the power cable to the blower. If I reached under and jiggled the cable the fan would work, if the cable was bent too harshly I'd get nothing.
    IMG_20200706_162250.jpg

3. Sep 11, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    @Dr. Hook

Do you happen to have a Medicine Show?

Dr. Hook[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2020 at 10:22 PM
    Dr. Hook

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    14' Tacoma sport
    TRD pro suspension, TRD baja rims w/duratracs, rock armor side steps & tonneau cover
    Wow the plug looks burnt are these a common issue or a rare occurance? If that's the case I'll take it apart & see what's going on with the plug I hope it's just a loose connection

5. Sep 11, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Common,

Dr. Hook[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Sep 11, 2020 at 10:25 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

That is caused by a loose connection between the male and female terminals. Loose terminal adds resistance which generates heat. Heat = Localized Burning.

7. Sep 12, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    Dr. Hook

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    14' Tacoma sport
    Could I just replace the plug or does the whole assembly come with it?

8. Sep 12, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I'm pretty sure you can get a kit that includes the resistor and the connector. If you get the improved resistor and connector it is shaped different and the wire colors are not exactly the same and the connector is square Let me look up the color for you.

[​IMG]

Here is the matching wire colors for the original to the square connector:

Green W/Yellow stripe - Green
    White W/Black stripe - White W/Black stripe
    Blue W/Black stripe - Blue
    White W/Blue stripe - White

[​IMG]

lo2hi and TRDSport10 like this.
  9. Sep 12, 2020 at 7:40 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    BillyWest12 and TRDSport10 like this.
  10. Sep 12, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    Mine did exactly that. I would get my passenger to nudge up with toe-tap and get it spinning. I changed the blower motor and never had a problem since. It was the easiest fix..like not even worth cracking open a beer. Super easy. Three 5.5mm screws and it drops out.

TRDSport10 likes this.
  11. Sep 12, 2020 at 8:17 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Did this repair not too long ago. Super easy. I always take the males pins and give them just a ever so slight twist so when they go in the female connector they’re nice and tight. Also a little dielectric grease is good.

TRDSport10 likes this.
  12. Sep 13, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    Dr. Hook

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    14' Tacoma sport
    Well just a little update I don't think it's the connector I pulled it & checked but no burn marks I tried wiggling the plug but no go I always have to give the housing a light tap to get it going so think it's the motor itself that needs replacing thanks for the help & advice guys

13. Sep 13, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    For sure it’s the motor. I changed mine in 2010. Hasn’t failed since.

14. Sep 13, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Seems really early on a 2014 for a motor, but things happen. Did you check the blower connection on the controller under the stereo for burn marks?

I do agree that the motor is most likely the issue when you have to hit it to make it go.

15. Oct 14, 2020 at 3:59 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    How hard is it to change the blower motor :notsure: ? My AC stopped working in August and now when using the heater the light blinks and blower make a slight screeching sound but goes away after a few seconds .I was told it was the AC compressor by Toyota dealer originally :spending:but now it does the same when heat is on . Thanks

16. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Where is the screeching noise coming from? The blower is inside the cab under the glove box area. Three bolts and an electrical connector and its out. Same going in.

You know if you have the heater on and the defroster setting that the AC also runs?

lynyrd3[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:21 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Sounds like the noise is from right behind the controls

18. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    I do change the cab filter at least twice a year . I’m going to check it out this morning a see exactly where the noise is coming from . Light on the AC button blinks

19. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:25 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The blinking light tells me it has something to do with the compressor or compressor clutch... The AC light doesn't blink for the cab blower fan...

Open the hood and look at the compressor when the truck running and the AC on.

Muddinfun likes this.
  20. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:28 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

To Top