1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blowing fuses radio/power port/clock

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by KC Bob, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    KC Bob

KC Bob [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Pre Runner
    I think I've got a short on my 2002 Tacoma: I hit a slight bump the other day (good old KC road work) and the clock and radio went out. Found and replaced the fuse, worked for a while, then another little bump, and pop! Now when I replace them, they pop as soon as I hit the ignition. What's the deal?

2. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    charliebucket

charliebucket New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2003 PreRunner sR5
    Hey I just purchased my first Toyota over the weekend; a 2003 PreRunner and I have the same problem. No radio, clock or dome lights - when I install the new fuse it blows. Have you had any luck ? Was hoping for some help before I start trying to track down the problem.

3. Sep 20, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I sounds like your wire shielding has rubbed off and it's grounding out. You going to have to get under the dash with a flashlight and trace the wire until you find the short. When and if you do find it cut the wire at the short and slide on some shrink tubing and solder the wire back together and put the shrink tubing over the exposed wire and heat it up. You should be good as new after that.

4. Sep 21, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    KC Bob

KC Bob [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Pre Runner
    I'll give that a try! Thanks for your help.

Bob

5. Sep 25, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    98lowflyingtacoma

98lowflyingtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma Prerunner
    I tell you what... had the same thing happening to me and it was driving me crazy. Went through 4 fuses before I tracked it down. I thought at first it was the add in wire that I put into my fuse box under hood but nope. Then was thinking I was over drawing ampage on the same line as I had a few things wired into it... Nope. Then decided to rip open the dash and see if anything was lose as I just recently had a new radio installed... Everything seemed ok. Moved power wires around a bit. Then again, another bump, fuse! Ugg... tore it apart again as I did not have anything plugged into it. Noticed that on the back of the cigarte lighters there are a few exposed contacts that if touched against a conductor short out in an instant. I had my short wave radio antenna connector that must have been touching it when truck hit a bump.

End result... covered all the 12v power adapters with black electrical tape, there are three in my truck, 2 12v and one cig lighter. Has been running good since then... about 2 months now. And I think the person at the dealer has forgotten my name since I Was not making weekly trips there for a new fuse.

Products Discussed in

To Top