1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blue Smoke

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stucksucksnayota, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mar 18, 2008 at 9:34 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Well when I started up my Taco this morning I saw some wonderful blue smoke coming out of my tail pipe. I know that this means im buring oil and im pretty sure it means when ever u start it up and it smokes but then it stops that ur valves r leaking is this true? If so is the only way to fix it to do a valve job on it? If it is something else please let me know

The truck has 140k on it so I figured it was coming but I would like to figure out what is causing this and get it fixed before it gets worse

2. Mar 19, 2008 at 2:00 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Since this looks like something new have you had a recient oil change? I've seen some smoke on startup before if the oil is over filled.

3. Mar 19, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I shook the magic 8 ball and it came back as your future looks bleak :(

4. Mar 19, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    maybe you can try an oil supplement and maybe a different weight of oil and see if that helps.

5. Mar 22, 2008 at 11:10 AM
    95tojo

95tojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    So IL
    Vehicle:
    '19 Cement Grey TRD Sport 4x4 6MT
    don't ever use oil supplements (atleast thats what i stand by) that will just add to the problem . . . .

like roland said, i have seen blue smoke due to excessive oil in the motor (its gotta go somewhere :D)

i think it may just be a fluke things because i have 220k and my truck DOES burn oil and i still don't have any blue smoke that i can see . . . .

has it happened on a regular basis ? did you change oil weights and it did this ? you use 5w 30 ?. . . . or even go up to 10w30 to get a heavier weight and see if it continues . . .

6. Mar 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Well I changed my oil and I usally run 10w30 for the summer and it seems to have helped my oil burning problem idk maybe it was just bad oil because
    I change my oil right at 3000 miles almost everytime and im not to hard on it

If I had to take a question and this may be totally stupid but my and a couple buddies went on a fourwheelin trip and i drove about 400 miles hauling 2 fourwheelers and a bed full of camping stuff through the mountains so this mite have had something to do with it

who knows it doesnt seem to be doing it anymore though

thanks for the ideas!

7. Mar 23, 2008 at 9:45 AM
    jrallan26

jrallan26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2004 White D-Cab TRD
    It could be as simple valve adjustment. I seriously doubt you need a valve job....

8. Mar 23, 2008 at 5:14 PM
    95tojo

95tojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    So IL
    Vehicle:
    '19 Cement Grey TRD Sport 4x4 6MT
    just a far shot but VVTI ? maybe under load it adjusted to the hauling then when you stopped hauling it took it a while to adjust back ? :confused: (coming from a guy that knows nothing about VVTI :p)

Products Discussed in

To Top