1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bluedriver set up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Newfiebruh, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Feb 20, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    Newfiebruh

Newfiebruh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black sand pearl access cab Base
    LED's, Tonneau cover, Fog lights, Front mud flaps, Cooper discoverer a/t3 tires, Tailgate reinforce, Cruise control, LED ditch lights, Bluedriver, 8-ball shift knob, Hitch, SR5 grille.
    So I read alot about people having bluedriver set up in their cars. Whats some cool things I can set up on the live screen? Turns out the company is local here and they were giving them out for free :D. I was hoping to have a trans temp gauge but it doesnt seem to be available.

2. Feb 20, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    redtaco2007

redtaco2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2007 Red Tacoma - TRD Off Road DCSB
    not much yet!
    I have blue driver, and it makes an excellent scan tool as it is ABS and HVAC code capable. Besides that, for getting more read outs, you will really want a $20 bluetooth adapter and to purchase the Torque Pro app from the google play store. You can then use what is called a PID to add the option of pulling the trans temps. ask me how i know.... lol just went through all of this same stuff. I've had torque pro for years, but just figured out the trans temp thing. Bought the blue driver because I had ABS codes on another vehicle, and figured maybe i could get it all in one, ABS, trans temp and everything with the blue driver. Unfortunately, I could not.

Newfiebruh[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 20, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!
    If you end up wanting to purchase the $20 bluetooth adapter and the torque app to get the trans temps, lmk and I can help walk you through it all. I just spent a couple days figuring the PIDs out. There are different ones required depending on the year of the truck.

Newfiebruh[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 20, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Newfiebruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    LED's, Tonneau cover, Fog lights, Front mud flaps, Cooper discoverer a/t3 tires, Tailgate reinforce, Cruise control, LED ditch lights, Bluedriver, 8-ball shift knob, Hitch, SR5 grille.
    Gotcha, the read out set up i have now isnt bad, i have throttle position, coolant temp, engine load, air flow and intake temp. Kinda lame how you cant get trans temps though

5. Feb 20, 2019 at 8:05 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!
    I'm trying to figure out if I can add PIDs to bluedriver and just use it. If I find out something, I'll let u know

6. Feb 20, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    Newfiebruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    thanks man, appreciate it

7. Feb 20, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    A couple of days?? How difficult was it?

Also, not just to you RedTaco, but I read a review from 2015 that said BlueDriver had the ability for 2-way communication but it wasn’t active in the app. Anyone know if they’ve activated it? (There’s a similar product and a software that works for Fords, 2-way communication and the software allows for customization of certain features- like lighting, beeps, horn honks, what happens when you open the door, what’s displayed on the dash....)

8. Feb 20, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!
    couple days as in, digging hours here and there to find the right PIDs. I have an 07, and all of the PIDs i could find were only working from 2010+ gen 2s and another set for gen 3s. The code I needed I found on like page 20 of a 36 page thread, that took me a while to locate as is. Once you have the PID setup, it takes 2 min to put in. But you have to find someone that has already cracked the required calculation, and has been willing to share it.

I've heard some talk about the 2 way on the BlueDriver as well, but it was just chit chat. Nothing solid really.

PzTank[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 20, 2019 at 8:39 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!
    Here are the PIDs for both transmission temperature read outs in Torque:

FOR GEN2: 2006-2009

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):
    PID: 21D9
    Long Name: Transmission Fluid Temperature 1
    Short Name: TFT 1
    Minimum Value: 0.0
    Maximum value: 220.0
    Scale factor: x1
    Unit Type: °F
    Equation: ((((E*256)+F) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
    OBD Header to use: left blank

For sensor 2 (Converter outlet temp):
    PID: 21D9
    Long Name: Transmission Fluid Temperature 2
    Short Name: TFT 2
    Minimum Value: 0.0
    Maximum value: 220.0
    Scale factor: x1
    Equation: ((((G*256)+H) * (7/100) – 400)/10)

FOR GEN2: 2010+

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):
    PID: 2182
    Long Name: Transmission Fluid Temperature 1
    Short Name: TFT 1
    Minimum Value: 0
    Maximum Value: 300
    Scale: x1
    Equation: ((((A*256)+B*(7/100)-400)/10)

For sensor 2 (Converter outlet temp):
    OBD2 Mode and PID:

PID: 2182
    Long Name:Transmission Fluid Temperature 2
    Short Name:TFT 2

Minimum Value: 0
    Maximum Value: 300
    Scale: x1
    Equation: ((((C*256)+D*(7/100)-400)/10)

10. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!
    just spoke with Blue Driver about future updates or adding the PID function and trans temp capability, and it sounds like they are indeed planning on adding the stuff in the future. They have a base that has a lot of capabilities, and I could see becoming a very useful tool in the future.

You: Not sure if you guys are aware of a competing app called torque or not, but you can add PIDs to the app to pull display options that are not standard to the app. Can we do this with Blue Driver?

You: I'd like to get the trans temperature readings that I can on my Torque app. I had to add a PID to the app to get the sensor readings, but I can't seem to figure out how to do the same in Blue Driver

Lemur: Good Afternoon!

You: good afternoon!

Lemur: We are working out legal and safety agreements before we could implement that

You: ah. ok. Any plans to add the trans temperature readout capabilities for the Toyota Tacoma?

Lemur: Unfortunately transmission temperature is not part of the OBDII standard live data set and is not currently supported by BlueDriver. We will be looking in to adding manufacturer specific live data support in the future after we've completed implementing enhanced code support for most major manufacturers!

You: alrighty. sounds good. I'll have to keep a look out for these updates. Besides that, its been a great app.

Lemur: Thank you :)

You: Just some food for thought, I guess one more thing I'd like to see, if possible, is ABS speed sensor live read out per each individual ABS sensor, to allow for better diagnostics of abs issues. Also, is there a forum or something that we can track any future updates for the blue driver?

Lemur: unfortunately no we don't have a official forum set up yet, but any updates would be listed on our news section of BlueDriver.com

You: excellent. thank you!

Newfiebruh[OP] and PzTank like this.
  11. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    Newfiebruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    Damn, i cant believe it was that easy to get a hold of them lol. If they add that ill use this thing forever lol, such a neat little tool.

PzTank and redtaco2007 like this.
  12. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!
    thank god most of these companies have live chat capabilities on their sites these days. I hate having to call and wait on hold and shit. lol Online chat support is my go to.

13. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:02 AM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    So if I understand correctly, this is just an application for interfacing with a car via OBD and in some manner displaying the data, correct?

I've always disliked closed source / proprietary software for interfacing with, well, anything, when there are possible security concerns in the data access, which is always the case when dealing with OBD. If you do a google search, you can find reference to hackers doing a controlled experiment that involved crashing a jeep over OBD by hacking into the radio.

https://github.com/fr3ts0n/AndrOBD

In some ways, it could be a bit primitive compared to some of the older programs (for example, torque), but it is open source and easy to build, so you can hack on it yourself. And it does apparently support custom PIDs.

Not on play store, but *is* on F-droid (like play store, but 100% open source software).

14. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!

Yes and no. I did see a few of those videos where they hacked the interfaces and controlled the jeeps. But, I don't think these little cheap bluetooth adapters are that capable. I don't think they would have the power to access the computer and control as much stuff as some of the newer vehicles would be able to with their infotainment systems that are completely integrated into the computer and body control modules.

Also, the Blue Driver is like torque, and google built into one, but better lol In order to scan a vehicle for ABS codes, you typically need a dedicated ABS scanner, or one of the very expensive Snap-On like vehicle scanners. I actually had a friend scan our old blazer with his $3K shop scanner, and it pulled up ABS, HVAC, Traction Control, and CEL codes. I was able to pull almost every single one of those same codes with the Blue Driver. This is something the torque app / adapter and many of the budget (sub $100) code readers will not do. Most budget code readers pull CEL light codes and some very basic freeze frame data, and that is it. That's really the advantage of the Blue Driver to me. It's pulling the same codes as a high end scanner, and that says a lot for a $99 price tag.

Having said that, I typically don't leave any bluetooth adapters plugged into my vehicles, and only use them for pulling codes, diagnosing or (now that i can read trans temps) when towing or servicing the transmission. That was one of my biggest reasons for getting the torque pro app PIDs setup, as you HAVE to check the trans fluid at a specific temperature range after servicing the transmission.

15. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    @redtaco2007 , TONS of great info!!! Thanks for posting.

For clarity, a couple of questions:

There’s a $20 Bluetooth adapter... for the BlueDriver?

This adapter will allow the Torque App to access the BlueDriver?

Might you have any links?

Thanks again:thumbsup:

16. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    The price you pay doesn't have any relevance to the capabilities of the hardware. The job of the hardware is really just to read and write binary data from/to the CAN bus. ANY cheap $5 OBD dongle has the same capacity to interface with the hardware as a $3000 shop scanner, the only difference is the software that is behind it, or more precisely, what capabilities are implemented in the software.

The jeep hackers were actually at a real serious disadvantage in hacking into the ABS control hardware, because they were only connected via the radio, which was supposedly on a separate bus than the critical engine and brake control bus. That's what made their hack so beautiful. They had to not only connect to the IVI remotely, they had to jump from the non-critical door locks and heater control bus to over to the critical engine and brakes bus. They hijacked some device that was connected to both busses in order to relay across. But since an actual OBD dongle is directly connected to the critical engine/brakes bus, you have to be especially careful in terms of security, because it doesn't even *attempt* to secure it.

17. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!
    nooooo. 2 different things. The Blue Driver adapter is $99 and works only with their app. This is basically a phenomenal scan tool.

You can buy a different $20 adapter, and download the Torque Pro app ($5 i think) for a very basic scanner, but it has a ton of read out capabilities, like trans temp

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to use the $20 adapter with the Blue Driver app. I'm not even sure if the internal design of the $20 adapter would be able to allow the app to pull the kind of ABS, HVAC, CEL codes that the Blue Driver adapter does

PzTank[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    redtaco2007

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    not much yet!

Ahhhhh.... makes sense. Out of the hundreds of thousands of people using these blue tooth adapters though, and the zero articles about people hacking them in the real world, I kind of doubt that the likeliness (at least for now) of someone hacking into your specific vehicle and f****** with you while driving are very high at all. lol I totally understand what you're saying, but I guess i like to live life dangerously lol

Plus, given the wifi interface capabilities on the newer vehicles with fancy infotainment systems and connectivity to an outside network already, I would imagine someone would likely target those vehicles than the ones with a bluetooth adapter. I would assume there are going to be a higher number of newer vehicles with built in interfaces than those of us running around with a bluetooth obd2 adapter plugged in while driving.

19. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    There is absolutely nothing special about their hardware. Its purpose is 100% to provide authorization to their software so that it will actually function.

redtaco2007[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:44 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    Never said it was exceedingly likely that you'd be hacked.
    But I tend to be pretty paranoid when it comes to security.

And besides that, I prefer a few rough edges if it means that I can hack on things myself. Really not fond of closed source software because you're at their mercy.

redtaco2007[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top