1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bluetooth not always connecting and BT music issues

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Rider Eh!, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Dec 31, 2016 at 8:31 AM
    Rider Eh!

Rider Eh! [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport V6 Manual 4X4
    Hi all, my Bluetooth doesn't always connect when I enter my vehicle, though the trick is to just cycle it on and off on my phone to get a connection. This is quite annoying having to do it often.
    Also under the Bluetooth music it doesn't have all of the options like browser or repeat that shows in the manual. I can't browse the music files on my phone and when I use bt audio it just opens Google Play music on my phone.
    I have the premium Entune system but not JBL and a Nexus 5x on Android 7.1.1.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Dec 31, 2016 at 11:26 AM
    sqa4life

sqa4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4 DCLB MGM
    You're not alone. I have the same issue. I was thinking maybe the stereo needs a firmware update, but I couldn't figure how to do that yet

SocalOC likes this.
  3. Dec 31, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    eraser

eraser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    I've got the same or similar Bluetooth connectivity issues here. What I get is garbled audio in short "fast forward" bursts.
    My phone will connect properly around 1/10 times it seems like, every once in a while it will work 2-3 times in a row while running errands.
    The rest of the time it fails to connect and requires seemingly endless cycling of dis-connect -> re-connect. I have tried numerous different combinations of resetting things and turning BT on and off and doing things in different orders with no "magic" procedure solution to get it to connect reliably.

Had it into the dealer a few weeks ago and there was no software update available at that time.
    2015 Moto X pure on 6.0, hoping when 7.1 is released that and a factory reset fixes the issue.
    Overall a highly frustrating issue, may as well use the aux input rather than spend 5-10 minutes messing with BT.
    Makes me want to swap the head unit for one that supports andriod auto.

4. Dec 31, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Have you tried completely deleting all pairing with the truck on both ends and re-establishing?

My BT is rock solid, never a problem, always links up. I'm on iOS though (iphone7)

Baerskin and LivinOnEdge like this.
  5. Dec 31, 2016 at 12:15 PM
    eraser

eraser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Yep, couple of times. Only two things left to try is a factory reset on the phone, was planning to wait till 7.1 dropped for my phone since it's a pain to reset. Also, I could try to manually flash the bluetooth radio firmware on my phone through adb, again, but that didn't help last time.
    I think the general consensus is that apple and samsung have more reliable bluetooth than the rest of the android herd.
    Honestly, I'd settle for connecting a cable if the steering wheel controls worked.
    Edit: Also, highly jealous of your working BT!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  6. Dec 31, 2016 at 12:17 PM
    SnowFarmer

SnowFarmer I intend to live forever, or die trying.

Member:
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Pro
    I can afford Gas.
    I turn off blue tooth and turn it back on again. I have found this is the quickest fix. On iPhones. pull up the bluetooth from the bottom off then on. On android pull down from the top off then on again. If Im more than five minutes out of the truck it comes back fine. Less and Blamo - intermittent music.

7. Dec 31, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    tacotech72

tacotech72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Mag Gray TRD OR DCLB
    Tinted windows, roof rack, snug top, bed rug, steps, bed step
    There is updated radio software. See your dealer.
    Also having too much data transferred from your phone may be locking up the radio.

8. Dec 31, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    How do I tell what version software I have?

9. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:00 PM
    unclebert

unclebert Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 MGM
    eraser,
    Sounds like we have very similar BT problems. i also have the 2015 moto x pure. I love the phone, but does not work well with this Entune system. i had a $100 Sony aftermarket head unit in my old truck and bluetooth connectivity was flawless. Like you i've tried everthing i can think of, changing phone settings, and Entune settings. Nothing seems to help...

I wanted to ask how your text messages are working on Entune System? Mine come through fine and the system will read them out to me while driving, but they always show "unknown" as the contact, so you have no idea who the text is from. When i receive phone calls the contacts show correctly, just text messages are screwed up...

I am hoping the 7.1 udpate will fix the problem. If you figure out a solution, please try and remember to post a reply here and i wil do the same. Thanks

10. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:09 PM
    fdbyrne

fdbyrne Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Manual), 2004 4RUNNER V6 4x4
    I get the same issue with a Nexus 6P and the latest head unit firmware. About 70% of the time, no issues. The other 30% I have to turn Bluetooth off on the phone then back on.

Just adding my experience so that you guys don't think that it's your particular model of phone that's the problem.

11. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:14 PM
    sqa4life

sqa4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4 DCLB MGM
    How did you guys update the headunit firmware?

12. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:16 PM
    unclebert

Member:
    North of Atlanta
    Vehicle:

How about your text mesages? Do they work as they should through the system?

13. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:18 PM
    tacotech72

tacotech72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Mag Gray TRD OR DCLB
    Tinted windows, roof rack, snug top, bed rug, steps, bed step
    Depends in the audio unit.
    T-SB-0103-16 has the details.

14. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Seems everyone is commenting on connectivity, but what about the ability to browse music on your phone with Entune? Does this work for everyone?

15. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    unclebert

Member:
    North of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Mine works the same as yours, it opens google play on my phone. I have the Entune Audio Plus system, which is step below your system. All i can do is skip forward and backwards using the bottons on the steering wheel. There is no way to browse music on the system that i know of, unless i haven't figured something out yet. Only had it since December 3rd

16. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:36 PM
    unclebert

Member:
    North of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Pretty sure The Entune App Suite is not available on the Audio Plus.

17. Dec 31, 2016 at 1:42 PM
    unclebert

Member:
    North of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    There are 4 levels of the Entune System, i have the Audio Plus system. See below cut and pasted from brochure. Mine does not have the App Suite, so i cannot speak to the features of that system.

EntuneTM Audio — includes EntuneTM Multimedia Bundle4

(6.1-in. touch-screen display, AM/FM

CD player, six speakers (four speakers with Utility Package), auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port5

with iPod®6

connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition,7

hands-free phone capability,

phone book access and music streaming8

via Bluetooth®9

wireless technology), Siri® Eyes Free,10

and integrated backup camera display11 S — — — S — — — — —

EntuneTM Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App12 — includes EntuneTM Multimedia Bundle4

(6.1-in. high-resolution touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, six speakers, auxiliary audio jack,

USB 2.0 port5

with iPod®6

hands-free phone

capability, phone book access and music streaming8

via Bluetooth®9

wireless technology), Connected

Navigation Scout® GPS Link App,12 Siri® Eyes Free,10 SiriusXM® Satellite Radio13 with 3-month

complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, HD RadioTM14 Traffic and Weather in major metro areas,

and integrated backup camera display11 — S — — — S — — — —

EntuneTM Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation15 and App Suite16 — includes EntuneTM

Multimedia Bundle4

(7-in. high-resolution touch-screen with split-screen display, AM/FM CD player,

six speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port5

with iPod®6

connectivity and control, advanced

voice recognition,7

hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming8

via

Bluetooth®9

wireless technology), Siri® Eyes Free,10 Entune® App Suite,16 HD RadioTM14 Technology,

HD RadioTM14 Predictive Traffic and Doppler Weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, SiriusXM®

Satellite Radio13 with 3-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, Gracenote® album cover art,

and integrated backup camera display.11 Access to Entune® App Suite16 is subscription-free.

See toyota.com/entune for details. — P S S — P S S — S

EntuneTM Premium JBL® Audio with Integrated Navigation15 and App Suite16 — includes the EntuneTM

Multimedia Bundle4

(7-in. high-resolution touch-screen with split-screen display, AM/FM CD player

with MP3/WMA playback capability, six JBL® speakers and one subwoofer, auxiliary audio jack,

USB 2.0 port5

with iPod®6

hands-free phone

capability, phone book access and music streaming8

via Bluetooth®9

wireless technology), Siri® Eyes

Free,10 Entune® App Suite,16 HD RadioTM14 Technology, HD RadioTM14 Predictive Traffic and Doppler

Weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio13 with 3-month complimentary

SiriusXM All Access trial, Gracenote® album cover art, and integrated backup camera display.11

Access to Entune® App Suite16 is subscription-free. See toyota.com/entune for details.

LivinOnEdge likes this.
  18. Dec 31, 2016 at 2:24 PM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    We can't use the app suite in Canada. Honestly most of the apps look like crap anyways.

19. Dec 31, 2016 at 2:26 PM
    unclebert

Member:
    North of Atlanta
    Vehicle:

That is what i was thinking and I use google Maps and or Waze for my navigation, so didn't want to pay the extra money for the Premium system

20. Dec 31, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    eraser

eraser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Cool, another MXPE user in Canada, don't bump into many of those!
    Yea, I had a bluetooth thingy in my last truck and didn't have any issues. Also use a couple other BT audio devices elsewhere right now with no issues.
    I've got the EntuneTM Premium Audio with the 7" screen on my TRD OR.

Regarding text messages, I think the Moto Voice is overriding any of the head unit stuff but how it behaves depends on whether my phone is connected as an "Audio Device" and/or "Phone Device" on the head unit.
    The HU does read my contacts correctly and I think displays them during a call. Text messages I think come up as "Unknown" but do get read aloud to me but I believe Moto Voice is handling that. Will play around with disabling the Moto Voice stuff and see if that effects texts. Good chance that it does as I believe it kind of interjects itself into audio/text streams on the phone.

So yea, I dunno. Not giving up yet but this is my #1 annoyance with the truck as I'm always listening to music. I've tried all sorts of stuff/tweaks on my phone including re-flashing the radio firmware extracted from different 6.0 roms to no avail.
    My plan going forward is:
    - Some software update tweak on head unit/phone fixes it.
    - Upgrade to next years Pixel
    - Replace the head unit with a high end Pioneer that has better bluetooth/android auto.

Products Discussed in

To Top