1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bluetooth not always connecting and BT music issues

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Rider Eh!, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Aug 2, 2017 at 9:38 PM
    TBV

TBV Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oakland CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR 6MT
    Can confirm that USB sounds better than Bluetooth in these trucks. More reliable too, and has browse functionality.

I still buy CDs and rip them to 320kbps MP3. Got a 32GB flash drive full that lives in the truck.

2. Aug 3, 2017 at 5:28 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4 BBP

cool story, but not really relevant for people who want to use bluetooth. your USB stick on an entune head unit will never have the ease of use of a cell phone hooked up via bluetooth. it's the same thing with phone gps vs entune gps... it's way easier to use on your phone and doesn't require ever updating the content. it'd be nice if toyotas had android auto/apple carplay capabilities without having to do an aftermarket headunit.

3. Aug 3, 2017 at 5:36 AM
    cwolgy88

cwolgy88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    None as of yet
    I also experience the "3 seconds fast forward bursts" of music when I first connect, using Spotify. If I simply turn bluetooth off then immediately back on in my phone, it works perfect. Informed the dealer at one of my appointments and go figure they tell me they can't replicate the issue..

4. Aug 3, 2017 at 6:47 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    You guys ever try clearing the BT cache or data?
    Or, try in safe mode to eliminate 3rd party apps?

5. Aug 3, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    TBV

TBV Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oakland CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR 6MT
    Wrong.

Wrong.

Right back atcha, clown. :luvya:

6. Aug 3, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    J.M Taco

J.M Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma Quicksand DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Very true about the USB having better sound quality than BT. I just don't like being tethered in an prefer the wire free convenience of BT. That said I was delighted to hear how much more of the track is audible when you pop in an actual CD.

7. Aug 3, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    I've honestly given up on Bluetooth ever working perfectly, all three of my cars have connectivity issues with my iphone. My Tacoma often gargles the music (like fast skipping) until I turn off then turn the bluetooh back on gain, it works everytime after that just adds a step.

My wrangler about every 4-5 starts I have to delete the entire pairing and re-pair the system to get it to work at all.

My lexus (aftermarket Bluetooth system the car is a 2006) also just doesn't connect half the time, its easy I just have to open my Bluetooth menu and force connection but still annoying.

I've worked for Subaru/Hyundai/Toyota/Honda and BMW, trust me there's Bluetooth issues with every manufacturer.

A Hyundai engineer actually explained it best to me: auto MFGs have to create a system that is supposed to work perfectly with HUNDREDS of different phones, its an impossible task, especially because phones are constantly being updated whereas cars rarely are. So someone will ALWAYS have small issues unless completely universal standards are adopted.

8. Aug 3, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    AZVern

AZVern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vern
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB
    Not enough
    Symptoms: the fast fwd skip. Only started after the recent Entune update
    Short term: turn BT on/off on the phone. Connects and works fine
    Long term: gonna try deleting and re-pairing

9. Aug 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:

if you dgaf about bluetooth, why are you here? go back and install your 8track player.

10. Aug 3, 2017 at 12:07 PM
    taco_ace

taco_ace Ace Ackerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Ace
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCLB
    A.R.E. CX-HD Topper, Remote Start, Icon Stage 2 front/rear, OME XL leafs, Denver Outfitters Overroam RTT, C4 Fabrication front and rear overland bumpers, Nitro 4.88 gears, Frontrunner Outfitters Roof Racks, OVTune, etc, etc.
    Solution is to delete any secondary BT profiles on your Entune head unit. Works 100% of the time.

11. Aug 7, 2017 at 5:50 AM
    MooseMeat

MooseMeat Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barcelona Red Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    I'm inclined to think this is an issue with the truck software. Since I've gotten my truck, I have had 4 different android phones (traded one [Galaxy S5], broke one [Nexus 6], temporary one [Nexus 5] , and my new one [Galaxy S8]), and my wife's phone connects fine as well (Blackberry Classic). So far, the only one I haven't had an issue with connecting has been the S8. All 3 others I had to turn off BT on the phone and turn it back on for it to connect. The reason I think that it's the truck software issue is that all 4 of them (plus the blackberry) worked perfectly using BT on my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe in the same time period (with the exception of the S5 which was a bitch to me no matter what I was using unless I restarted it). I know this is not really of any help to anybody here but just thought I'd share my experience and thankful that my S8 is working fine with it.

- Canadian 2016 Tacoma DCLB SR5

8102 likes this.
  12. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM

8102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
    VLEDS LED Low Beam Headlights, VLEDS High Beam LED Headlights, VLEDS LED Fog Lights, VLEDS LED Triton Turn Signals and Brake Lights, VLEDS LED Interior Lights, Reverse, Licence Plate Lights, Stainless Steel OEM Exhaust Tip, Leer XL Canopy, Bed Rug, Diablo Grill Logo, mattgecko Engine Compartment Lights and Bed Lights.

13. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    I was having problems but since learned to start Entune on my iPhone before launching Pandora and it seems to have cured my issue - if this is at all similar to the issue you're having.

RZ Rob

14. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:07 PM

8102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
    VLEDS LED Low Beam Headlights, VLEDS High Beam LED Headlights, VLEDS LED Fog Lights, VLEDS LED Triton Turn Signals and Brake Lights, VLEDS LED Interior Lights, Reverse, Licence Plate Lights, Stainless Steel OEM Exhaust Tip, Leer XL Canopy, Bed Rug, Diablo Grill Logo, mattgecko Engine Compartment Lights and Bed Lights.
    Same with me, never had a problem with the BT connecting with the 2014 Nissan Rogue I was driving, connected it once when I bought the Rogue and that was it - Done - No issues.

The Tacoma on the other hand, it connects, works for a period of time, then stops, once in awhile it reconnects by itself but most times I have to go through the whole process to reconnect. It is a drag.

15. Aug 18, 2017 at 1:58 PM
    Rider Eh!

Rider Eh! [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport V6 Manual 4X4
    I just had my truck in for service and had a software update applied. I'll update you guys of the issue is fixed or recurring.

16. Aug 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    Baerskin

Baerskin Rocking in the Free World

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Premium 4x4
    Stock
    I had the software update done a long time ago. Never had issues before the update and still do not. Also running iPhone 7. I just wanted to sound like a smart ass "any TSB updates for the audio unit" lol.. anyways my Bluetooth works pretty much flawless. I like how the cover pictures pop up it's pretty rad.

Long story short get an iPhone.

17. Aug 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    Rider Eh!

Rider Eh! [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport V6 Manual 4X4
    Software update didn't seem to have worked. I still can't reconnect after quick stops. I need to update my phone to Android 8.0, just haven't gotten around to it. The new OS is supposed to cure some Bluetooth problems.

18. Aug 28, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    Nope. The connectivity issue is fixed so you always have music controls, but the meta data from the tracks isn't consistent about showing up.

19. Aug 29, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    RustysTaco

RustysTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    Conway, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP TRDSport DC 4x4 6sp Manual
    None as of yet
    This thread fixed it for me finally- after the dealership told me time and time again its not their problem and it was an Iphone issue. It just became habit to sit in the truck, start it, then bluetooth on off toggle, then seatbelt and go haha. Finally fixed the connectivity issues I was having.

20. Aug 29, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    HerculesRockefeller

HerculesRockefeller Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Entune just sucks. I've got an iPhone. It connects most of the time, however it routinely fails to alert on my Entune screen when I get text messages. I've just sort of resigned myself to it and really don't care at this point.

Products Discussed in

To Top