1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BMX to Downhill

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by 10.21, Jan 30, 2011.

?

BMX or Downhill?

1. Stay with the Kids bike

12.2%
  2. Switch it up, you're getting old

29.3%
  3. Fuck it, do both

58.5%
  1. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM

10.21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    I'm posting this for two reasons. (1) See what suggestions my fellow TW people have and (2) fellow BMX'ers within TW to talk me out of it.

I'm 22 and have been riding BMX for approximately four years. The BMX scene in my area sucks, trails are shitty, street sucks, and parks are limited. I get showed up by 13 year olds at the skatepark and the tricks are just improving so much over time that I can not keep up. So, I've been thinking about selling the Fly Pantera 2 and buying a nice downhill mountain bike.

So, should I switch and if I do what should I switch my kids bike to?

P.S. I know 22 is young but honestly, I'm old...

2. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    Im 23, and have been riding bmx for about 12yrs. I will always ride bmx and I live in maryland, the nearest park is an hour away and sucks, the nearest track is 45min and not well maintained, and street is ok but in ghetto areas. I usually travel up to 8hrs away to ride, but spring/summer/fall im riding trails, weather it be in pa or my own, you cant say trails are shitty, you should always have the option to build your own. The local scene here is at best 6 guys, usually its just me and a friend or 2.

My opinion is dont quit riding bmx just cause the scene and spots suck, and 13yr olds show you up. If things like that get to you, you dont truly love riding. I will never be considerd "good" if you go by tricks, I ride just to ride, its how I relieve stress, haha. Pick up a shovel, find some woods, and start building!

Bmx has lot to offer, you can ride a curb, goto a skatepark, hit up trails, even race. With downhill the bikes are so devoted you can only ride downhill. :rolleyes: They weigh a ton and cost more, haha

Iv never rode downhill but it does look awesome, but for me to get into that, there is nowhere to ride within 3+ hours so ill stay on my bmx. :D

This is all just my .02

my license plate says it all :D
    DSC_0067_5470fbef45c1f930b38c44aed8fb5ef06275b185.jpg

3. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    I'm 20, and have BMXed since I was 14, mostly as a mode of transportation while I was in High School, but I'd always hit the local skate park several times a day.

Recently, I've been getting into dirt bikes and motorcycles, but I'm always at home on 2 wheels.

I have a BMX bike that I painted myself and a trail mountain bike, and I love doing both, as well as riding my motorcycles, so I vote fuck it. Do it all, if you can afford to buy more toys. I know i'd totally miss my BMX if I sold it, because it's been my ticket to much fun in my earlier years, so I wouldn't recommend selling yours if you like it.

4. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    Lgs79

Lgs79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Bay Point, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 DC SB
    Before switching to dh do u have dh trails near by? I switch to dh from sport motorcycle When my daughter was born, I figure it was a little safer. I love it but if u sell ur bmx bike U will need more money cause dh bikes are really expensive, I bought a new Intense Socom back in 2008 and was 5G's unless u get a used bike. Try pinkbike.com

5. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    2KTacoPr3runn3r

2KTacoPr3runn3r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Petaluma
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Ram 1500
    Bilstein 5100 adjustables, 2 inch top plate spacer, bilstein 5100 rears and 2 inch blocks. Flowmaster super 10 with dual 4 inch tips.
    im 20. been riding mountain bikes pretty much since i have been riding a bike. i ride dirt jumps, parks, street and downhill. downhill definately bein my favorite. i would never go back to riding a bmx. just a completely different style. altho it is cheaper than riding downhill you will never find anything that will match riding a downhill bike. its amazing.

6. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

10.21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    Exactly what I was looking for...the first three posts says it all...and LittleDvl, its funny because after I posted this thread I found your build and immediately thought to myself "I hope this guy posts in my thread" simply because your name is littledvl...

I've never been one to bitch, especially after loking at VitalBMX and InterBMX forums...It's just being military, times change. I hear Cali is awesome but their liberalism and gun control restricts me from putting that on the top of my duty stations. I've always been one to make something out of a curb so I will keep it up...And I truly love riding...especially after seeing Dirty Dan Bogard own the PIT in Rockford, IL at 12 when I was the same age.

sachau, I strongly agree...If I can afford it and the wife allows, I think I may have to take both routes. Currently the only trail in Jacksonville, NC is technically located on New River which allows for both BMX and Mountain Bike.

And, lgs, thanks for the site. I will check it out.

7. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list

You are probably the only person on this site who got my name, haha.

I also have a thread on here with riding pics (bmx)
    Either way you go, I say keep the bmx bike.

8. Jan 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    my son is 32 and build a 24in BMX cruzier last year to ride around downtown Houston. He lives 8 miles from downtown. Me I would rather ride my MTB.

9. Feb 9, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I rode bmx for about 10 years and raced for 5 before I made the move to MTB racing at 20. Raced x-country for 3 years, then kinda took a break from the whole thing. I got back in to bmx at 25 or 26 (street this time) for a couple years, retired from it, and just yesterday, ordered another bike to do more street, trails and park riding. I can't get away from it. Anyway, my point is, stick w/ it and just get a mtn bike to supplement :) If you're a good bmx rider, I think you'll find it very beneficial for the technical aspect of mtb riding. It helped me tremendously.
    As for getting shown up by the youngsters...well, at 22, I'd tell you to step up your game. At 31 (amost 32) for me, I just enjoy what I can still manage and not worry. Besides, those kids know I'm old, so they dont expect much out of me, lol.

10. Feb 9, 2011 at 5:00 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Oh, and btw, fwiw, I've seen more serious injuries from downhillers than bmx. Thats not a good trade up for safety issues ;)

11. Feb 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Oh yeah. If you're a hardcore DH Mountain biker, I have mad respect for you, but you have a death wish. :D

12. Feb 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    2KTacoPr3runn3r

2KTacoPr3runn3r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Petaluma
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Ram 1500
    Bilstein 5100 adjustables, 2 inch top plate spacer, bilstein 5100 rears and 2 inch blocks. Flowmaster super 10 with dual 4 inch tips.
    dh is the best kinda riding out there. all the lines are fast and huge. i about cryed when i had to sell my dh bike haha

13. Feb 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    chaz834

chaz834 Tacoma 4 Life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kendrick, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport MGM
    3'' Tuff Counrty Lift, Moromoto Mini H1 Projectors 5000K 35W, BHLM, 30'' LED Light Bar, Black TOYOTA Emblem, Excelon Touch Screen Deck, Hertz Speakers,Excelon AMP, 2 10'' JL Audio Subs, Wet Okle seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats.
    IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

I don't ride anymore but loved riding my BMX at one time. Now I'm trying to sell my bike its like brand new any takers...

14. Feb 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    kite

kite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, BC
    Vehicle:
    Red Truck
    I rode bmx seriously for about 5 years, took a five year break from bikes then bought a downhill bike last year. I've been absolutely loving riding downhill.

Give it a try, im sure you'll like it. You will catch on quick with your current bike skills.

3 months till whistler bike park opens. Stoked.

15. Feb 10, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    keep riding but dh is fun too .. so do both if you can budget it .... i know guys in their 40s who still bmx .... i wish i woulda got into it when i was young now im too old (26) to learn haha

16. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    Don't limit yourself. It's nice to have the option of bombing a tech trail on a big bike, or hit the street for some urban.

17. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    Taco GTR

Taco GTR Valdosta State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Orrin
    Shadydale/ Valdosta
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma reg cab.
    Bone ass stock, 2nd air filter delete, JVC head unit, Alpine 600watt amp, JVC 1600 watt 12'' sub, Tractor Supply Company Toolbox, ALOT MORE TO COME.
    how much? and i know you wont ship lol. too bad your too far away.

but as my .02 on it. ive been riding for 2 years and i havent learned very many tricks and the city of valdosta has a terrible riding area. and the skate park is really far away. yet i just ride to ride and i love it. i wouldnt worry about younger kids showing you up cause im only 19 and im pretty sure you could show me up. so i wouldnt do downhill. sounds boring.

18. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    Sheppymach

Sheppymach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner trail edition
    BLU LOGIC bt, avid, weather tech mats & rain guards, 285/70/17, BenWA's totally AWESOME power sliding window mod.
    you guys thinking ur old. that's funny I'm 40 and i just bought a new eastern. Im thinking about getting a Sunday 24" for kicks

[​IMG]

19. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    ^^^^ same as above im almost 40 years old and i love riding BMX still, if i didnt then i feel that my son wouldnt either. If i keep riding then he will see that and do the same. But i love BMX bikes. Wouldnt mind trying the downhill stuff though!:D

20. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Ptowntaco

Ptowntaco Camburg :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Petaluma Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    Tint, Socked, Deck Plate mod, Camburg 2.5 coils, Camburg UCA, 5100's in the rear, Custom Deaver leaf pack, Micky Thomson Classic Locks, BFG KM2, CB
    ok nothing to bash you BmX guys i love watching you guys ride an its just not my style... but mad respect! MTB is just my style big speed and jumps! I would say keep the BMX and get a MTB when you can. If you like BMX keep it up! I kinda wish that i could get into BMX but i feel that i am to old lol(21) haha. MTB is a blast give it a shot!

Products Discussed in

To Top