1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"BOS" change explained?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by mtnfox, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Jan 16, 2016 at 6:27 PM
    mtnfox

mtnfox [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    1991 4x4 p/u, 2016 Quicksand TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCLB
    I ordered a TRD OR DC LB (7568, the impossible one to find) back in October. The dealer hasn't had one allocated yet and I still do not even have a build date. My salesman isn't the easiest dude to get a hold of, and even when I do reach him he isn't the most informative. I contacted the sales manager to find out more, and he had his inventory sales manager attempt a "BOS" change last week. He told me they should know midweek (last week) if the BOS change took. After not hearing any more I texted my salesman and asked if he had heard. His reply was, "nothing yet - we try every day". I had thought a BOS change was something they could only do about once a month when their allocation came out - or is he just trying to say they try every day to see if it took? I would text him again but it takes him about 2 days to get back to me whenever I text him. I am thinking about going back into search mode and finding another dealer, but there is no way I'll get the price I'm getting now. Anyway, does anyone have any clear explanation of how exactly a BOS change works? I thought I understood, but now I'm not sure. :annoyed:

2. Jan 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM
    mustangwilly

mustangwilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR Quicksand MT
    Sounds like you need a new dealer. I put an order in for that same truck in the first week of January and was allocated that week with a build date the last week in February.

TacoBella likes this.
  3. Jan 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM
    mtnfox

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    :frusty: Where in the country are you located? I'm in Southern California, but ordered about 400 miles north because they offered $250 over invoice.

TacoBella likes this.
  4. Jan 16, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    WCoyne

WCoyne Well-Known Member

Member:
    EastTN
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Platinum Fx4
    Fuel Nutz blacked with milled 2 piece wheels, 285/65/20 BFG KO2 tires, Icon Stage2
    I don't know where you are located but there is one at Jim barkley toyota in Brevard, NC and two more coming in february

5. Jan 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM
    mtnfox

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    I'm across the country in California. Probably can't make a trip that far. Thanks though.

6. Jan 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM
    mustangwilly

mustangwilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR Quicksand MT
    Iowa.

7. Jan 17, 2016 at 4:41 AM
    thepinktaco

thepinktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Orange, MA
    Vehicle:
    95 SAS Tacoma, 99 4runner, 16 Tacoma.
    When I ordered my 7568 it was grey and has options I didnt want. They had to change it to red and get rid of all the options. I ordered begining of November, truck was built on Tuesday, and should see it end of this month. It had to go in on the december order since I missed the November one. I thought they could change things up to 2 weeks prior to build date as long as they have the allocation for the truck.

8. Jan 17, 2016 at 5:36 AM
    2011DCab4x4

2011DCab4x4 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2011 D Cab 4x4 Super White
    A BOS change is request to change a vehicle you already have coming to the configuration you want. It's depends on the vehicle(s) they are trying to do. They can select 1 or as many unbuilt that they have that are far enough out to accept change. The advantage of a BOS change is they will get it in less than half the time of doing a true order. I'm a new car manager for a Lexus Dealer and do 5-10 BOS changes a month but I am also requesting 15-20 so about 50% take. I know for me it's easier if your just trying to change 1 color like switch exterior from silver to white or switch interior from gray to tan. If you try to do a bos change from a 2wd access cab to a 4wd d cab long bed and trying to switch colors and options the odds are that will never take. If they have a truck allocated that matches options and configuration you want but just trying to switch color odds are much higher it will happen

Anton likes this.
  9. Jan 17, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    Jkilpatrick357

Jkilpatrick357 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Tacoma 4x4
    2017 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4x4 20X12 XD GRENADE with 35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail grapplers 6" BDS suspension with Fox 2.0 remote resi Coil overs(cranked to 7") , fox rear shocks Icon Billet UCA Icon add-a-leaf in rear Rigid industries 30" SR with bumper mount Rigid industries SAE fog light kit Rigid industries rock lights TRD Pro Grille TRD sport color matched mirror caps Oracle RGB color shift wheel rings with WIFI controller Color shift grille lights and interior lights AMP research power steps Bushwhacker color matched Pocket flares Llumar window tint Hypertech speed-o recalibrater Led bed lights OEM all weather mats, door sills, bed mat andTonneau cover Installation, fab and design by Jason Riffle Wes Malmay and Matt Millen at SI Motorsports in Bossier City La
    They should be able to put the Bos change as a sold order as we'll. I'm a new car manager at a toyota dealership and if I put in a sold order thru a Bo's change it is picked up on the 20th of every month as a SOVR (special order vehicle request) I have a TRD or lb 4x4 in Barcelona red coming next month that I ordered in October so roughly 4 months to get.

10. Jan 17, 2016 at 7:52 AM
    Anton

Anton Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCLB
    This is what the dealer I dealt with did. He changed it to an Inferno DCLB TRD off-road 4x4 with only the towing package, from a White SR5 DCSB 4x4 with towing, appearance and the parking sonar stuff. Took a week or so for him to "confirm that it was accepted."

11. Jan 17, 2016 at 7:53 AM
    Anton

Anton Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCLB
    Where in California?

12. Jan 17, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    mtnfox

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Thanks - this explains it a bit more. I'm just not sure if the BOS change wasn't accepted and they have to try again, or if they are still just waiting to hear. I emailed the sales manager again to try & get clarification on that. He's pretty good about getting back to me - probably not in until Monday though.

This is what I'm hoping my situation is like. The sales manager told me that the Toyota district manager was giving him 2 additional 4x4 units and he was optimistic they could do a BOS change on one of them to get my truck.

I'm in Southern California (High Desert about 50 miles northeast of LA) but the dealer I ordered from is about 400 miles north. They offered $250 over invoice which impossible to get in SoCal.

13. Jan 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM
    mtnfox

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    So the sales manager got back to me today. The BOS change did not take. :( He said mine was the only one out of 10 that didn't work. Crazy how hard this truck has been to get. They will continue to try a BOS change whenever they can, which is about 2 times a month. He also said the district manager knows the situation and is trying to do what he can. :pray:

14. Jan 18, 2016 at 11:50 PM
    tacitos

tacitos Tah-Key-Toes

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCLBJBL
    Call a dealer that has zero tacoma's in inventory.. have your build codes ready and ask a internet sales guy nicely if he could find what you want in their database. They should be able to tell you whats out there or incoming for all dealers in your state. If they are cool they will help you out and tell you who has them, if not try another.

I did this and found (2) DCLBOR's in California, called one, gave a deposit over the phone and picked up that weekend. I had to take Amtrak a few hundred miles, but I paid zero over MSRP. Maybe I got lucky, but I had been calling every dealer in my area for a month looking for this truck.

mtnfox[OP] likes this.
  15. Jan 19, 2016 at 12:48 AM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Off Road 4x4 Super White
    Stock and loving it
    you got lucky on finding it, but MSRP isn't hard to get for a Tacoma in this area. When we finally found a 7568, the only one we found was the white we wanted, we still had to wait 31 days to take delivery of it because it wasn't built. We paid 500 less than MSRP because we agreed to purchase a month before it was built. An easy sale for all involved

mtnfox[OP] likes this.
  16. Jan 19, 2016 at 12:52 AM
    tacitos

tacitos Tah-Key-Toes

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCLBJBL
    Every dealer in L.A. County wanted $2-5k over MSRP.. when they realized 7568 was no where to be found, it made it easier for them to raise the price. I was about to order first week of January, then like you said I got lucky. I found one in Sacramento, and then a deal fell through in Santa Maria so I opted for the one closest.

mtnfox[OP] likes this.
  17. Jan 21, 2016 at 10:30 AM
    alive85

alive85 Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD OffRoad DCLB 4x4
    Tacitos, you are offering excellent advice here. Thank you. After six grueling weeks of nothing - just getting blown off - I've made contact with an internet sales person at different dealership, and in one phone call got more concrete info than I received collectively in last two months. I might have a new path forward here... cheers

tacitos[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 21, 2016 at 11:02 AM
    tacitos

tacitos Tah-Key-Toes

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCLBJBL
    Sometimes google maps is more powerful than basic google search engine. Glad to contribute, hopefully it works for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top