1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bosch OBDII 1050

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Looking2buy, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Feb 20, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    Looking2buy

Looking2buy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello guys and gals

First post here at Taco world so the obligatory: sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

So I'm looking to buy a used Tacoma, I'm looking at a wide range of years probably from 2001 to 2010. I'm still trying to narrow it down and would love to hear suggestions on what the best yrs and packages are. I am no mechanic but 20 years in construction has taught me to be pretty resourceful.

On the recommendation of someone much smarter than I, I purchased a Bosch OBDII 1050 scanner tool. I plan to use the scanner as part of my inspection of a used truck and I am wondering what are the trouble codes that would put you seasoned folks off of a used vehicle?

I am also needing to know what I should be looking for in the live engine scan mode? Like which parameters I should be focused on (ie. tps, coolent temp, rpms, etc)? And what would an acceptable value for each parameter be?

Id be happy to hear any other tips, tricks, questions, or experiences for buying a used Tacoma.

Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 21, 2018 at 12:14 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Well depending in what state if you have Emission Inspections any problem causing the light to trip means your in for $$$ to pass emissions .

Then if the seller has cleared the codes or had the battery out doing the same thing.

Other then a problem where the ECM thinks the engine is not running and shuts off fuel in which case your looking at a non running truck.

Different things are important to different people.

Where are your skills the best mechanical?? Electrical ?? Paint and Body ??

Any thing you need to pay labor to have fixed gets expensive.

I look at the over all condition .

Anything that stands out and looks different

Engine bay covered in oil or mud but the body and wheels are waxed and pretty

I will look at a vehicle if someone asks what color it was I will not have a clue .

Romex wire nuts in the wiring harness or wires run all over the place

I ask when the last timing belt was done.

Look at the frame these trucks are known for frame rusting which lots of people find out after the fact.

****Being over come with the new vehicle buying lust it gets us all from time to time. Not uncommon to not see simple things like 4 different size wheels and tires.

Other then Project vehicles I will say most all of them took about $1000.00 in parts to catch up.

3. Feb 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    Looking2buy

Looking2buy [OP] New Member

Member:
    No emissions here where I live.

If the seller clears the codes or has the battery out without fixing the problem won't the test drive re-issue the code since the problem remains? If that's the case then a OBD check before and after the test drive will say a lot about the truck and the seller no?

I would say that my strengths will be in minor mechanical and electrical. I don't really care much about small dents or scratches and such unless they point to a bigger problem. My days of having a vehicle that I can show off are well past, this will strictly be an A to B machine. I have wrenched on cars before but in no way would consider myself a mechanic.

I'm going in with a pretty comprehensive checklist so that I don't over look anything major. Also my attitude towards buying a vehicle is of necessity, but with plenty of time to pick the right vehicle. I have been bicycle only for about 5.5 years so there will be no way for the seller to pressure me as I will kick rocks at anytime.

Thank you for your tips I will add the ones I had not thought of to my list.

Thank you also for taking the time to reply!

Products Discussed in

To Top