1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bought a tacoma yesterday and have 2 questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by smbundy13, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    smbundy13

smbundy13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    could you send me a link to a write up on how to change them out?

thanks very much

2. Jul 24, 2010 at 2:51 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Its really quite simple.

First, you need 4 new bulbs. They are size 194. Factory ones come with orange covers, so if you want to stay orange, you can just get standard white bulbs.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=77

Before step 11, remove the screw under the steering cover. Turn the wheel 90 degrees and remove the hiding screw. Turn the wheel the other direction and remove the other screw. (this makes it so much easier to remove and reinstall the black plastic piece)

After the last step, http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=110

3. Jul 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    thanks alot man.

4. Jul 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    well, got the guage lights fixed no problem but the dealer said that the noise is probably a hub bearing going out and they wont fix it.

kinda sucks but oh well I guess I will just fork over whatever a local mechanic is going to charge to fix it.

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Is it a 4x4 or a Prerunner? It seems a little early an for '01 or newer Tacoma with only 95k to have wheel bearing issues. Though I suppose its possible.

Take the weight off the wheel and spin it by hand. If the bearing is bad it'll be noisy. A crunching/rumbling sound IIRC.

6. Jul 29, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    it is a 4x4. i am currently fighting with the dealership about it because they said i have a 1,000 mile drivetrain warranty and it seems logical that it would be part of the drivetrain.. they prolly should have said powertrain instead but they didnt... hopefully we can get it sorted soon. I will try to spin it to see what it sounds like.

i really dont hear it until i get above 20 mph. but that is inside the cab so..

thanks for all yalls help. wish me luck

7. Jul 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    alright great news!! the dealer is going to replace the bearing on their dime. I think because I spoke to the owner of the dealer and told him that I didnt get 10 miles away from the dealer and the bearing started making noise.

just need to make sure they replace the right one. my friend had the same problem I have and ended up replacing the wrong side because apparently the design of the Tacoma's frame transmits sounds.

thanks for all yalls help on this!

8. Aug 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    Ok, this is a bit of a long story so please bear with me.

well, yesterday the dealer replaced the passenger hub bearing. so I went to pick it up and did a quick test drive close to the dealer. Well, the truck was still making the same exact noise coming from teh same exact side (passenger). So I drive back up to the dealer and say that it isnt fixed. This is where the story gets a bit heated (for me that is)

Well the used car manager basically goes into this rant that they shouldnt have worked on it in the first place because it was a used truck and I didnt purchase an extended warranty from them. Even though I was told I get a 1,000 mile "drivetrain" warranty. He starts in on that saying it is a powertrain warranty and the hub bearing isnt part of the powertrain. So, I told him that is not the terminology I was told by two seperate people when I bought the truck. He basically says he doesnt care. He also gripes at me saying that "I said it was a hub bearing and I said it was the passenger side" (I being me not the manager).. that statement that he made pissed me off because I am a freaking tax accountant not a mechanic!! I think they should have been able to do some sort of test on the front end to figure out what the cause of the noise was.

So, he was waiting on the tech that worked on the truck to come up and talk to him to see what he did. I was going to go back to work but decided that if I drove my truck off of the lot without it being resolved they would never work on it again. So, I decide to go speak to the General Manager of the dealership. Well, I speak to her and tell her the situation. We go back to the used car department and the manager calls the Toyota dealership to get them to check it out and basically disprove me. (at least that is what I think they were trying to do)

Well, the manager is on speaker phone with the tech, him, the general manager, and some random salesman in his office. So, four against one basically. Then the manager has the outright balls to look at me while on the phone to the Toyota Service guy and calls me a "problem that wont just go away".. at this point it is hard to keep my cool and stay professional but I knew I had to if I wanted this resolved in my favor.

So, I took it to the toyota dealership and they are going to drive it. So, the head tech gets in and I ride with him. The noise is still there and in addition to that the ABS is activating everytime we came to a stop. The truck isnt locking up the tires but it is pulsing the front passenger side brakes. So, the Toyota place sides with me and tells the other dealership that I am right. I guess the other place just tells them to handle it and bill them for it.

Well, the tech takes my truck back to look at what the other place did. They come back to tell me the spindle nut wasnt tightened all the way down. Which is infuriating to me because that is a very dangerous situation. they also think that the bearing was pressed in incorrectly which is why the noise is still there and has actually gotten much louder. and they are fixing the abs stuff.. all on the other dealers dollar.

The other dealer is a Honda place and was supposed to have the best customer service in Birmingham, AL. well, that jerk of a used car manager screwed over the dealership by being a prick. If he would have been polite and professional I probably would have just accepted there explanation and gone to get the truck fixed on my dollar.. but him being rude like he was made me want to stick it to him.

So, if you are shopping for any car in birmingham, alabama then DONT go to Brannon Honda they dont take care of you and they apparently dont know how to fix things properly and safely.

The truck is currently at the Toyota dealership getting fixed (hopefully) I should get it back today.

I know that was very long and drawn out but that is what happened.

What do yall think my next course of action should be after the truck is fixed? My wife wants to send a letter to the owner of the dealership and tell him about our crappy buying experience. My dad said that we dont need to do that because the owner will already know the situation. I am kind of on the fence on this because this place was recommended to me..

Now I know I bought a used car and not a new one but still think there should be some sort of professionalism.

thanks for looking fellas. (and ladies)

9. Aug 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    send the letter....don't ask for anything, just tell your side of the story and everything that happened

you're getting the truck fixed, that's all you were really after

10. Aug 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    yeah that is what I am thinking..

Got another update. Talked to the Yota place and they said that the noise was my Passenger Rear Bearing going out. not the front hub bearing. They are currently talking to the honda place to see if it will be paid for or not..

11. Aug 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    upflying

upflying Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Antioch
  12. Aug 3, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    thanks for the info man. i will leave a review on them for sure.

13. Aug 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Unfortunately, I don't think this is over for you by a long ways. Did the Toyota dealership (the folks that are working on your truck now) make you sign any documentation before they would take a look at it or work on it?

If so, read the fine print. Make sure you aren't responsible for costs if the honda dealer refuses to pay for any repairs done.

14. Aug 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Why did you buy it before knowing fully what was causeing the noise in your first post? No warranty means just that, if they tell you there is warranty 1000 miles get it in writeing.

15. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    Hopefully everything works out for you. I know what it's like trying to troubleshoot noises while driving a vehicle. It's difficult to determine if the noise is coming from the front/rear or right/left.

I would definitely write a letter to the Honda dealership expressing your experience. Even if they decide to pay for the repairs, everyone at the dealership should have been professional throughout the entire process. I think someone needs a class in customer service.

16. Aug 4, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    we will have to cross that bridge when I come to it I guess. but I wont be paying anything.

well, there wasnt a noise until after I bought the truck and rode downt the road about 10 minutes. I couldnt take it back that day because my father-in-law passed away, so I was a bit busy.

I understand the argument that I didnt buy the extended warranty and if they would have been more polite about the situation then I probably wouldnt have pursued the matter as hard. as for the 1,000 mile warranty, I watched the salesman write down 1,000 mile drivetrain warranty on a piece of paper. he never gave that to me for some reason but I confirmed the warranty with the finance guy. I know that doesnt hold up as well but spoken word is actually a binding contract.

hopefully the truck will be finished today and I wont have to hassle with it anymore.

I will let yall know what happens.

17. Aug 5, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    ok picked up the truck yesterday and the bearing noise is gone so that is great.

that annoyance has now been replaced with another annoyance. My ABS is activating when I slow down between 15mph and 10mph. everytime. Here is the weird part, I am feeling the pulsing not in the front brakes but in the pedal.

So basically when I am slowing down and hit 15mph the peddle starts pulsing and when I get to 10 it stops pulsing but I can still hear what i think is the abs pump as it shuts down. The toyota place said they cleaned the front right sensor but since the truck isnt throwing any codes, they couldnt tell what to fix.

I am taking it by an independent machanic tomorrow to get them to look at it. I think it is a sensor going bad. (hoping that is all it is)

what do yall think?

18. Aug 5, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    House Doc

House Doc Active Member

Member:
    I live in B'ham area, Shelby County. Be careful that you don't exceed the 1000 mile warranty. I guess you have passed the 3 day bring it back type law on the books. I would take the vehicle back and work on a refund!
    Check out the Chevrolet dealer in Hoover. They have a great 04 Dbl Cab. I almost bought it but my son liked the 07. I did too. Beware the Toyota dealer in Roebuck/Center Point. They have bad reputation also!

19. Aug 5, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    well, I am passed the point of taking it back for a refund. I got the bearings fixed on the dealers dollar so I wont be going out there for either one of those dealers ever again. I didnt have a bad experience with the yota place it is way too far out for me to go for service. I saw the double cab you are talking about at the chevy place on 31 but I think they were asking a lot for it. cant remember though.

I am just riding this one out. if I can fix this abs thing I think I will be fine.

20. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    ok, final update for this ordeal... the truck is fixed and in great running order. the wheel speed sensor wasnt installed correctly so it was pissing the abs off and making it activate.

got it put in correctly and it is running like a dream.. loving the truck even more everyday.

Products Discussed in

To Top