1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bought the '99 Taco today

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cecil, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dec 23, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Cecil

Cecil [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Well, picked up the '99 Taco with TRD today and now have to decide if I want to keep it long term and sell my heavily modified '88 Cherokee that I used to 4 wheel quite a bit but really don't have much time now with 2 children. If I sell the Jeep I want to do some minor mods to the Taco but nothing like I did to the Jeep. A few questions:

1) What is the most lift you can do to a '99 4x4 TRD without getting into suspension mods such as control arms, and gemotry issues. For a lift I want to do AAL's or new leaf springs in the rear only and in the front spacers/new springs. Nothing more. I want to keep it simple this time.

2) What is largest tire based on lift kit above for the 2.7? Don't want to regear and don't want to loose power. Will be hauling 550lb ATV plus 800lb trailer so don't want to feel the effects of sluggishness b/c my tires are too big. Can i keep the stock wheels or will I rub CA's. Will I need spacers if I dont change wheels.

3) What is the weakest part of the '99 suspension/driveline when off-roading. I know SAS is best but I am not doing this conversion so should the '99 just stay on pavement if I only want to do above

4) I have a xd9000 Warn winch on my jeep now that I might remove if I decide to sell it and keep the Taco. If I do, what is best front winch bumper to get. tks

Thanks for the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top