1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boyo VTL 300?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jay7108, May 2, 2008.

1. May 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM
    jay7108

jay7108 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Chicago IL
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport LB 4x4 Debadged
    Halogen back up lights,wade oe,avs inchannels,led lights,deezee bed mat, more to come.
    Boyo VTL 300?
    Has anyone used this camera and if so are you happy, I have a Kenwood 8120 and am looking to add a back up camera. I was looking to add the Kenwood cam but cant seem to find a good place to mount it. I thought about Pb's idea in the light housing by the plate But I think you have to remove the light for it to fit. If any one here has pics of the boyo installed or has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

2. May 14, 2008 at 10:19 PM
    laboy

laboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    I want to install BOYO VTL350. Black zinc metal casing looks great!
    How is yours stereo, you like it? I think to upgrade mine for 8120, but never used Kenwood...

3. May 15, 2008 at 4:00 AM
    jay7108

jay7108 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Chicago IL
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport LB 4x4 Debadged
    Halogen back up lights,wade oe,avs inchannels,led lights,deezee bed mat, more to come.
    I have not installed it yet I'm deciding between the kenwood cam and the boyo so I'm not sure yet.

4. May 15, 2008 at 5:06 AM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    I installed the Boyo VTL400, which looks like pretty much the same camera in chrome without the frame. I'm using the camera with a Kenwood DNX5120 head unit.

As far as the camera itself goes, it provides a clear image to the HU, even in low-light conditions.

The cable they provide is plenty long for the Tacoma. The cable is plenty connectorized; there's a short pigtail coming off of the camera itself with a tiny 3-wire connector that makes it easy fish the cable through any tight spaces. That connector mates to a similar connector on the "long haul" cable that you route along the frame up to the cab. That end of the cable has a similar micro-connector that mates with a short "harness" that has an RCA plug for the video and tinned leads for +12 and ground. This way you don't have to try and pass the bulky RCA plug through tight spaces, but at least on my 4x2 with 15" wheels, there was plenty of space along the frame to route the cable. The tinned ends on the power cable are only about 24 gauge wire, so I ended up using butt connectors to attach a larger wire to these to make them easier to work with.

Two things that threw me on the included instructions: the pin-out on they show for the 4-pin DIN connector that mates the cab-end of the long cable to the radio connector is backwards, or maybe they're meaning to show it from the perspective of the other end of the connector...either way it confused the crap out of me when I was trying to make sure I had a good connection through my power lead extensions. The other thing is that the instructions show that you need to use an allen wrench to adjust the camera angle, but at least on the 400 there are actually small screws on each side of the camera that you need to loosen with a jeweler's screwdriver in order to rotate the camera.

The supplied mounting kit requires you to go through the license plate holes with a long bolt & nut arrangement...getting those nuts on and snugging them up was probably the hardest part of the installation for me, but it only took a couple of dropped nuts for me to get them on.

My only concern is how long this "chrome" finish is going to hold up. I would have preferred the black camera as well, but Crutchfield only had chrome version. I put a coat of wax on it to hope that will keep it looking good for a while.

Products Discussed in

To Top