1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake controller on a 4 cyl 5 lug 2wd?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crooked Beat, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Sep 5, 2008 at 10:42 AM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    Hi:

Now have an 09 access cab 2wd 5 lug 5 speed. Great work truck with safety features. I also just purchased a small Fleetwood (Taos) popup that has electric brakes. I am about to purchase the Prodigy brake controller.

My question: As I don't have a trailer towing package, should there still be the pigtail connector for the controller somewhere in the cab? I have searched the forum and found that the pigtail is in the 6 cyl without the towing package, but no word on the 4 cyl.

Thanks

CB

2. Sep 5, 2008 at 10:48 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    No actually there won't be without having the towing package. The pigtail would only be compatable with a 7 pin rear connector as 4 pin doesn't have the ability to actuate the brakes properly. The 4 cylinder has a much lower tow capacity and most trailers down in that range have surge brakes. Not to mention the 4 cylinder probably doesn't have a big enough alternator to handle the requirements of trailer brakes??? If you're going to get a brake controller then I would make sure that you can get a 7 pin connector wired in properly to handle it. A 4 pin is for lights and turn signals only. The brake controller needs it's own connection to the trailer as it does not work off the same electrical connection as the lights (otherwise your trailer tail lights would brighten and dim as the controller applied more braking). May be an expensive task to have all the electrical setup. Maybe look at a popup with surge brakes instead?

3. Sep 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    There is no pigtail under the dash for a brake controller on a 4 cyl as the towing package was only offered on the v6 and the v6 and 4cyl use different wireing harnesses.

That said you are not out of luck. In the towing bible, I covered how to install a brake controller in a non-tow package equipped truck. 98% of that information will pertain to your truck as well. The only part that will be different is where you will tap the wire to pick up the brake signal. I do not have a 4-cyl truck at my disposal to figure that part out for you, but there will be a brake switch connected to the brake pedal in the cab. Coming out of that switch should be 3 wires. One is positive, one is common, and one will be the signal output. a voltmeter, and a little patience will help you find the output wire, and a quick splice and some electrical tape will be all that you'll need there to send the signal to your controller, and therefor to you brakes.

Send me pictures or wiring diagrams and I'll try to be of more help.

4. Sep 5, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    The Fleetwood (Taos) popup may only have a disc brake setup with a 5 pin flat connector.
    I'm not even going to suggest how those work since I don't know a thing about that type of setup.
    The website lists the GTWR at 2200# max. Thats the only reason I suggest this camper may be equipped with a 5 flat connector.
    I would first determine how the camper is equipped, then decide if you need to run the complete wiring for the 7 blade connector.

5. Sep 6, 2008 at 4:11 AM
    Crooked Beat

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    Thanks for your help!!. I have a few unused pigtails on the drivers side kickplate. I will poke around and try and take a few photos.

There seem to be a lot of unused pigtails in this whole truck. One is even under the 3 cupholders in the center console! What is that for? Then there is the unused backup camera in the headliner pigtail. Everywhere!!

I am thinking about putting the brake control unit just below the driver's side left AC duct. (Opposite the passenger airbag switch on the centre by the radio). I think on 4wd models there are switches there, but on mine there is nothing. So I am hoping that there is nothing behind. The prodigy has a quick release adapter that would allow me to remove the unit when I don't need it.

Thanks for your help, but I have the Taos in my backyard. It has the round 7 connector. It is standard across the Fleetwood range. I definitely need the 7 unit. It is a great little trailer. I look at a popup trailer as a rich man's tent, not a poor man's RV. A great little unit.

6. Sep 6, 2008 at 10:34 AM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I was hoping you didn't have to run all the wires for the 7 RV connector! Thats some work. I did that with my '97 taco and used a 10ga outdoor extension cord. That seemed to work well.
    From what I gathered on the website, I'd have to agree, the Taos is a slick unit!

7. Sep 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM
    Crooked Beat

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
  8. Nov 25, 2008 at 6:05 AM
    debo

debo New Member

Member:
    Newark, OH
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug SR5
    SS Brake Lines, EBC rotors, EBC Yellowstuff
    Did anyone get any further on figuring this out?

Products Discussed in

To Top