1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Issues? 2016 TRD OR 4X4

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Bob_S, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Apr 28, 2017 at 8:19 AM
    Bob_S

Bob_S [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    None yet
    First, I am new, so if this has been addressed, please guide me. I searched and didn't find anything.

Anyone having exceptionally grabby brakes that seems to increase pressure as you slow down. In other words, you have to always lighten up on the brake pedal pressure to have a smooth stop. Has been happening ever since I bought the truck. Dealer where I bought the truck said it was normal, "it needs to be broken in".

I started to began to hear a squeak right before stopping under light braking. At 11,000 miles, problem still persisted I took to new dealer which agreed there was a problem and ended up replacing the rear drums and saying the drums were warped. After replacement, brakes felt different and much better at first. I now have 13,000 miles and feel like they are grabbing again.

The other thing, when I showed the new dealer, I showed him when going about 5 mph, if you GENTLY pull up on the parking brake coasting, the rear wheels LOCKED up almost immediately. Is that normal? I took a new truck for a ride at the dealer and it did not do this. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Apr 28, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    Mine feels fine.......after both drums were replaced a few months back. Not sure what
    I've put on it since then, maybe 1500 miles. Same issue for me, both were warped
    and causing a nasty vibration.

Bob_S[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 28, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    oldschoolczar

oldschoolczar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRD OR
    I've noticed the brake issue and I've had to adapt my driving technique to account for this. Just like you said I kinda have to ease up on the brakes as I slow down to maintain a smooth deceleration.

I've also noticed the squeaking. It's not bad, but there's a very soft squeak as I slow down right before I stop. I'll probably bring it up at my 15,000mi service next week, but the brakes still work fine, so I just coughed it up to being a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle. It's probably designed to be part of the 3rd gen symphony.. just enjoy the music. Along with the whistling LCAs, humming rear diff, squeaking leaf springs, it creates some beautiful music! This is what makes the 3rd gen so special!

4. Apr 28, 2017 at 8:30 AM
    Bob_S

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    None yet
    Can you check the emergency brake as well and let me know? - Thanks.

5. Apr 28, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    Bob_S

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    None yet
    Interesting, Thanks. How many miles do you have now? At some point, can you see if your emergency brake locks up like I described and let me know? What the heck can be causing the warping?

6. Apr 28, 2017 at 8:33 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    13.1 right now. I haven't had to use the e-brake as of yet.

No idea other than a faulty batch or maybe something isn't set right
    in there and putting too much pressure against the interior???:confused:

Bob_S[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 28, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    When you say it grabs - does it exhibit the shuddering when you're braking? Could be the leafs? Mine has the shudder and I find myself feathering the brake pedal on deceleration (until I can get this FIXED) so I don't feel the shudder as bad upon braking.

8. Apr 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    Bob_S

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    None yet
    I don't notice any shudder at high speed. Perhaps a bit at very low speed (pulsation) right before stopping. I am wondering if the hydraulic booster (I believe OR has hydraulic booster) is pushing too hard and potentially warping drums. That is why I am concerned with the E-brake. I don't think it should lock up the wheels with a gentle pull. It should slowly apply pressure.

9. Apr 28, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    A shudder / pulsation on deceleration between 30-10mph is cited as a potential symptom of poor drive angle / bad leafs per an active TSB. I know b/c mine feels like it's warped, but had my brakes inspected and confirmed they are not warped...

Products Discussed in

To Top