1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

braking while going over bump. ABS quirk?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ywen, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm wondering if this is a behavior of the ABS... when going over a bump at high speed and with the brakes applied, I can feel a motor spooling thru the floorboard. Sensation lasts for about 2 seconds.. Sometimes, I can hear it too if road noise is not too loud. Wondering if this the ABS activating...

2. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    Sounds like it to me...ABS feels like rapid clunking and happens when your wheels get airborne and lock up.

3. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Right.. I'm familiar of how the ABS feels when the wheel is slipping when braking at low speeds..

However, this feels different.. when the bump is large enough, after I pass over the bump, I can feel this motor spooling...

4. Feb 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I think I know what you're talking about... It's like after mine lock up and the ABS starts pumping them, when I finally come to a stop and the ABS stops pumping the brakes, I can still hear something running, sounds almost like a very muffled sander running. It's like it's just coasting to a stop and I hear it for about half a second. I'm assuming it's normal. Mine also activates when the front wheels go airborne under braking.

Products Discussed in

To Top