1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand New Double Cab with Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dalsmthme, May 31, 2009.

1. Jun 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Yet another update. I got the truck back today. They put the 4 leaf TSB spring in the back. They did jip me out of the Bilstien shocks. They claim what was happening is under load, I was getting axel wrap throwing out the pinion angle and resulting in a vibration. I think they fixed something else and they are masking it with this. the tech's story was a little fishy. Either way, it appears that they solved the issue. I need to drive it some more and make sure, but it feels OK now. They are still deliberating on how to adress my scratched wheels and I am still negotiating the 100k mile warrentee, but it appears that things are moving forward.

2. Jun 15, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Fix one problem and cause another. I now have a driviline vibration between 15 and 30mph. Maybe I should just put carrier bearing spacers in and call it a day.

3. Jun 15, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Man, I feel for you, this is totally bumming me out and I don't own your truck. I sure hope they can resolve this to your satisfaction. Take care.

Rob

4. Jun 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Well, I tried 4 3/8" washers between the carrier bearing and frame. No help. Back to the drawing board. Anyone got any bright ideas?

5. Jun 15, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    ldmarcht931

ldmarcht931 Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited
    bedliner, tannou cover
    For what its worth on this topic;

I've been all over this issue with my new 09 quad cab as well. The vibration is there at just about any speed.

Here's a recap of my experience on this so far;

I took the truck back to the dealer within a few days of buying it, they keep it for 4 days and tried three sets of tires on it; and they tried the SAME three sets of tires on two other trucks as well. Bottom line is my truck vibrates and the others didn't regardless of tires. None the less they put a new set of Dunlops on the truck and told me that the vibration is an "inherent feature" of the truck until and unless Toyota decides to address the vibration at some sort of systemic level.

We love the truck and use it alot but the vibration is always a "wet blanket" The dealer says they are intent on addressing a fix once one is identified. I believe it is not in the tires.

They also loosened the U joints and then retightened them, they looked at the transfer case and the wheel alignment. They tried everything they could think of and listened to me carefully about what I've learned here at Tacomaworld as well.

Does anyone have any updates they can offer?

thanks

Larry

6. Jun 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Color me stupid, but won't this result in the lemon law? They have a problem with the vehicle the sold you, tried to fix it 3 times and can't solve it??? I can see if all the trucks had the vibration, then yeah, take it or leave it. But it sounds like it's just your truck or some trucks but hey you didn't buy it used right??? I'm actually very shocked to hear that there exists major problems and can't get it resolved...

Rob

7. Jun 16, 2009 at 4:09 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Yeah, we can start arbitration, but it isn't as easy as walking into the dealer, asking for a new truck and they just hand you the keys. It's a long drawn out process. I am going to give them one last shot at this thing. If they can't fix it, then I am going to move forward with arbitration.

8. Jun 16, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Sounds good, I know it's a frustrating process. Hang in there and I hope everything works out. Take care!

Rob

9. Jun 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    It just keeps getting better and better. A guy at work wanted to drive my truck to see what I had been bitching about. So I hopped in on the passanger side. We started going down the rode and I realized that I can feel the original vibration I had before they put the springs in pretty plainly :mad:. He couldn't feel it at all. So it isn't fixed, just is slightly better. No wonder my wife keeps telling me it isn't fixed. I guess I should listen to her the next time.

10. Jun 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    Are you sure you are not being overly sensitive? How many others have ridden in your truck and don't feel it?

11. Jun 17, 2009 at 10:03 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Out of about 8 people who have ridden in the truck, they have ALL felt it and all said they would have taken it back. I have had enough vehicle (including trucks) to know this isn't normal. The dealer acknowledges that there IS an issue, they just don't know how to fix it....

12. Jun 17, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    OK, I'll throw this out there. I read it another thread somewhere here awhile back about a similiar vibratory problem & it ended up being no grease in the u joints. (hoping it wasn't earlier in this thread?) Just wondering if they've covered that angle already? If the rims were scratched during all their fucking around with different tires/balancing then they should up fresh ones without a bit of hassle. This shit is just ridiculous beyond belief. I say you've gone far enough with this mess to finish it up by doing the arbitration. If you get dicked there then just drive to the dealership, cut your brake lines then drive it thru the showroom windows & take out all the fancy ass show ponies on the floor there & claim brake failure/tranny jumping problems. ( Not really suggesting this, just fantasizing about justice )

13. Jun 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    No grease was me. It was earlier in this post. That was in the front driveshaft. That shouldn't be the issue since it doesn't spin.

14. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    So I was craling around undernieth at lunch. I noticed that the u-joint behind the carrier bearing is out of phase (by one spline by the looks) with the u-joint at the rear diff. Is this normal?

15. Jun 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Nevermind optical illusion

16. Jun 25, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    dalsmthme

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    Well, yet another trip back to the dealer. This time they replaced the driveshaft. Still didn't fix it. The service manager is perplexed. He is having the regional rep come down to look at the truck. He did say that they pulled the driveshaft and drove the truck off of the transfer case. The vibrations were not noticable. It has to be between the transfer case output shaft and tires. I am starting to think it is definitly rearend born since changing the springs changed the vibration. Anyway, I guess we will see.

17. Jun 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    ballon78

ballon78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    I just ordered a tom woods one piece driveshaft, most everyone says this will fix the vibes, i have the same vibes too, and ill know wed if it fixes mine. I feel the two peice shaft are junk.

18. Jun 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

I wonder if it's a bad bearing in the yoke? Seeing the axle/carrier bearings didn't cause any vibration. But it could also be a ring and pinion gear that was not set properly when put together.

At least it's being figured out.

19. Jul 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    Bob's 07 Tacoma

Bob's 07 Tacoma Member

Member:
    St Marys Co.Maryland
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD SPORT
    My 07 Tacoma has had a Vibration sence day one..Trk came with Dunlops .I had them taken off and install Michelin AT-2 ..Vibration still there...Still searching for problem..

20. Jul 4, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    After reading how dalsmthme and others with gen 2 Tacomas are going nuts trying to sort out vibration problems with little or no help from Toyota, I really have to count my lucky stars when I say how happy I am with my Gen 1 '03 double cab. Solid as a rock, smooth as silk, and virtually bullet proof she is, which leaves me disappointed for you guys that Toyota has dropped the ball with Gen 2's in such fundamental areas. Hope you get all these issues sorted out to your satisfaction one way or another..

Products Discussed in

To Top