1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand new winch seems weak

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by 11B4X4, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Jul 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM
    11B4X4

11B4X4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma 4x4, Black
    Trd intake, Doug Thorley offroad headers, magnaflow exhaust, RBP running boards, 2.5In spacer, URC O2 simulator, 5100's all around
    I have a 2016 Honda Foreman Rubicon and just installed a new Honda Genuine 2500lb winch. In the user manual for the winch it says once installed to let out all of the cable; except for 5 wraps around the drum. Then retrieve the cable with at least 500lb of weight to properly stretch the cable. So I did as the book said and hooked the winch to my truck and attempted to pull my about 500lb rubicon up a slight hill. The winch could barely budge the atv up the hill. the ATV was in neutral and brakes were off. So i reattempted on completely flat ground with the same results. I ended up having to retrieve the cable with just as much tension as I could using my hands. Also the ATV was running and the battery is good. Any suggestions or opinions???

2. Aug 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Sounds like a bad winch.

3. Dec 29, 2016 at 6:25 AM
    Notoneiota

Notoneiota Claud Bawls molested my cat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oakdale & Grand Rapids, MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Mostly stock with a few minor mods.
    Not sure your experience with ATV winches, but they're extremely slow under load. Especially the 2500lb rated ones. You'd think something rated to pull 2500 lbs could yank a 500 lb atv out of a mud hole with ease, but it just doesn't work that way. They help but I don't think the batteries can handle the draw down when the winch is under load.

To Top