1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Break in period?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 12Tac, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    12Tac

12Tac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    What's considered the 'break in' period for a new Tacoma? In past I've been told 'first 600 miles,' my 07 Ridgeline the dealer said "no such thing anymore."

What's the scoop? I've got just over 1K on my '12 TRD.

12Tac

2. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    1k? Your probably good to go now.

3. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    12Tac

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I've driven the truck on the highway and have been up to about 90mph, but haven't driven it hard at all. Would the engine be "okay" driving at that speed this early?

4. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    12Tac

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Oooh...I have to try that...once.

:)

5. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    highflyinmechanic

highflyinmechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    GA
    Vehicle:
    12 DBL CAB MGM 4x4 TRD OFFROAD
    100k then another 200k to really get the best out of her! :D

6. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    12Tac

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I'm hoping so. This is my last vehicle.

7. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    highflyinmechanic

highflyinmechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    GA
    Vehicle:
    12 DBL CAB MGM 4x4 TRD OFFROAD
    Yeah same here sir!

8. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Main thing is to avoid extended running at a constant speed, in addition to avoiding towing.

You want even heating, and variations in speed and load naturally allows for that.
    When I got my '03 Tundra, I ended up having to take a trip to San Jose the next day.
    Literally hit the road with 15 miles on the truck.
    I'd roll about 10 miles or so, then just take an offramp, stop, get back on the freeway.
    Over the first couple of hundred miles I extended that to every hour or so.

Put 130k on that truck... never burned a drop of oil and at 7500 miles on every oil change the oil looked brand new when I drained it.

9. Apr 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    Fury

Fury Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all.

Read your owners manual.

It says :

●​
    For the first 200 miles (300 km):
    Avoid sudden stops.

●​
    For the first 500 miles (800 km):
    Do not tow a trailer.

●​
    For the first 1000 miles (1600 km):
    • Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
    • Avoid sudden acceleration.
    • Do not drive continuously in the low gears.
    • Do not drive slowly with the manual transmission in a high gear.

• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

I too have heard many say to break in today's new vehicles as you would normally drive them - I say balderdash ...
    I have broken in 3 hi performance engines (bikes) using strict parameters to 2000 km. After break in they have performed for many thousands of miles under daily full throttle / red line operation (drag racing on the street and later at the track). Upon tearing down the engine to freshen it up things looked and measured up in great shape.

I am not saying my new truck (my first new 4 wheel vehicle) will be seeing daily thrashing like my bikes did but it will be getting a proper break in for sure. I don't feel the need for speed in a 4 wheel vehicle but after break in, it will be getting 'driven' from time to time (if you get my drift).
    Here is my break in procedure :
    - to 300 km. - light braking, less than 1/4 throttle max, 2000 rpm max
    - 300km. to 800 km. - 1/4 throttle max, 2200 rpm max
    - 800km. to 1600 km. - 1/3 throttle max, 2500 rpm max
    - throughout break in - vary speed as much as possible and no cruise control trips.
    (I'm into the second stage with 360 km. on the clock)

On another note, today's new vehicles schedule the first oil change in line with the remaining changes through out the life of the vehicle. For our Tacomas that is at 8000 km (6000 recommended here in Canada by my dealer) or 6 months - whichever comes first. I agree with these numbers and will use them, except for the first oil change. That will be getting done when break in is complete at 1600 km. That first change will be to full synthetic (it has conventional 5w-30 in it from the factory) and it will get full synthetic changes every 6 months after that (since 6 months will come before 6000 km. unless my driving habits change drastically). I'm old school and want to get the break in 'filings' out of the engine before the recommendation.

I'm not preaching or telling anyone what to do. It's your truck and you can, and will, do as you please. I'm just saying what I'm gonna do based on my experience and knowledge about engines and vehicles.

Cheers
    Ray.

10. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    The same people who say to forget about about new truck break in would never think of installing a new thrid and driving it without regard for break in. What do you think is in your new truck? Sure enough, all new gears. The "old fashion" breakin was intended not just for the engine and that is why Toyota still gives the advice to do a proper break in

The engine is just one component that needs time to settle down. With the factory run in, the engine is probably less critical now than in past years, but my new trucks will always get a carefully planned 1,000 mile break in, so that ALL the mechanical systems and gear boxes have that opportunity to mate properly.

It should also be noted that the average american doesn't keep any vehicle long enough for the fruits of their abuse to be known. It get's passed on to the next owner for which there are no statistics.

If it really is that important to a new owner to push their truck in the first 1,000 miles, then I guess that is what you should do. I won't ever be doing that.

11. Apr 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    ok whats a thrid?

12. Apr 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    I've broken my race bike engines with this method ever since I was told about it many years ago. It makes a difference. At teardown I always saw the difference in the pistons from when I used to follow manufacture (lawyers) break in methods .
    I break in my cars this way as well. I've done jobs at Toyota, Hyundai, BMW and Chevrolet plants and every single car that gets started gets a foot full of throttle right at birth and they drive them hard all the way to the transporter....on purpose.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/saturday-mechanic-blog/how-to-break-in-a-new-car

But in the end, the most important thing to do, regardless of how you choose to break in your motors....DON'T USE CRUISE CONTROL. A new engines worst enemy is sustained RPMs over and extended time. If you have to drive on a freeway the first 50-100 miles, make sure you move those RPMs all over the place through gear and speed changes.

Flatout110 likes this.
  13. Apr 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    The main thing for the first 1000 mile is don't go on a long trip and put the cruse on the same speed the whole time. And don't tow.

Other than that drive it like you stole it.

14. Apr 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    canoeski

canoeski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Southcentral Wisc
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma AccessCab
    Debadged. ARE Topper. Tailgate mods, including locking handle. BAMF LCA skids.
    A "thrid" is a TRD with a "hi" thrown in. "Hi" in Japanese means "fire, flame, or blaze". (not how I want to break in my new Taco which just went over 1K);)

15. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    Fury

Fury Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all.

Good responses all. This is a topic that brings out varied opinions.

Hi drsus.

I would also give my fresh engines a few short bursts to seat the rings at the start of my break in schedule. The initial treatment you describe is a good thing but after that my stuff will be getting broke properly.

That first site's break in method is controversial indeed ...

Anyway, everyone walks their own walk. As I will be keeping this ride for many years, I will follow my break in proceedure.

Cheers
    Ray.

Products Discussed in

To Top