1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II Winter Perfomance

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JoshO, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Aug 11, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    JoshO

JoshO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport (Silver)
    Pop a Lock Bolt Codeable Tailgate Lock, Tyger Tonneau Cover, Stubby Antenna, Led Interior Lights, K&N Series 63 CAI, AVS In-Channel Visors. Upcoming Cat-Back Exahust and Lift kit
    Did anyone have the 265/65-17s on their truck in the Blizzards of 2010 in the Mid-Atlantic? How did they perform?
    Thanks for the help
    JO:burnrubber:

2. Aug 12, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    Skymech

Skymech Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 front and back w/OME 884 Coils Front AAL back, ToyTec 1" Diff Drop, Back to the stock exhaust (flowmaster's muffler rusted apart) AFE Cool Box Intake, Bestop Supertop bedcover, LED Light Mod on all external & inside dome and map , Kenwood eXcelon+ JL Audio Stereo w/XM and iPod interface. AMSOIL through out
    i'm in Indiana, so we did get a bit of snow last winter.
    In the 2 years i have had them and mind you i drive over 100 miles a day to work and back with most rural roads with not much in the way of plowed roads . They Blow big time! Anything over a light skiff they have no grip even with 300lbs. in the bed. and forget about it if there is any ice.

3. Aug 13, 2010 at 5:18 AM
    JoshO

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    Pop a Lock Bolt Codeable Tailgate Lock, Tyger Tonneau Cover, Stubby Antenna, Led Interior Lights, K&N Series 63 CAI, AVS In-Channel Visors. Upcoming Cat-Back Exahust and Lift kit
    Thanks Skymech, I figured as much. The tread does not look aggressive enough.

4. Aug 13, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    These were on my truck when I bought it (stock).

They've done just fine, including last year here in PA. THey are getting thin (1/4" or less) tread on them. Last year I actually put about 150lbs in the bed. I also have a mechanical LSD. I also use 4WD all the time in the snow.

Never had any problems.

If I was buying new tires, I'd never buy them. THey perform fine but they're too 'car like' for my liking and could probably get better performance from another tire (like Revo - for example).

If you're on a budget and find a used set for really cheap, then - I guess they're OK to purchase. BUt otherwise, I'd personally buy something better.

5. Aug 14, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    JoshO

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    Janster
    Thanks for the info. I agree the look too car like. I was buried last winter, I had drifts of 9 feet in my yard and am on a steep hill. My father had a Pathfinder with Yokohama Geolanders and they were pretty aggressive and worked fine we were not able to get through a 4 foot high section no plow had gone through and no one had packed it down at all. It was over the hood to be fair to the truck and tires. Did the 150lbs work for you? I had a frontier and put 3 80lb tubes of sand in the bed. And that sometimes felt light, although I did spin out making a left in a thunderstorm in the Frontier without any weight in the bed other than a truck box. It is not a money issue but I am not going to put new tires on when these only have 2500 miles, my parents taught me not to waste money.

6. Aug 14, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    meckleystephen

meckleystephen My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
    3 Inch Toytec lift,Blacked out badges
    i had these on my 06 and they had about 25000 miles on them during the round of blizzards we got this past winter. They were absolutley horrible they slide and spin and really dont get any traction. I would reccomend if you have the money to just get rid of them and get a good all terrain. I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T and got them put on the day before the worst of the blizzards this year couldnt have been happier. hope this helps.

7. Aug 14, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You live in Maryland, which is about the same type of winters that I get here in southeast PA. Last year was by far - the worst winter ever in many many many years. The chances of seeing that happen again around here....is pretty rare. The weight in the bed definately helps..... reducing air pressure slightly in the tires also helps.

I ran the H/T's for a couple years without any weight at all in the bed and no problems. But as they age/wear, I've noticed the difference and have decided to run with some weight.

You really have to adjust your driving style to the conditions regardless of the tires you're running. You also have to adjust your driving style as tires wear regardless of what type of tires you buy.

I wouldn't worry about the tires..... unless they piss you off, you can get a set of tires anytime and within a day. It's not like you HAVE to replace them now.

If you're THAT worried about winter driving - get yourself a separeate set of cheap steal wheels and mount some blizzak tires on them. Those are probably the best snow tires you can buy. Put this set of wheels/tires on during the winter and store them in the shed for spring-fall.

8. Aug 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    sourdough44

sourdough44 Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Sold my 2000 Tacoma
    Yes to Blizzacks/Winter duellers. We have 3 vehicles & 2 dedicated Winter tires for each. I have 2 sets mounted on their own wheels, the others I have changed. Once you get used to them it's hard to go back to an 'all season' tire. I look at it as cheap insurance & almost a lifesaver at times. You do have to search around some to find a dealer that will sell you 2. Yes 4 is better than 2, but 2 is better than zero.

9. Aug 20, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    JoshO

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I have nowhere to store the tires in the summer though. I was stupid and sold my house and more importantly my garage.

Products Discussed in

To Top