1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bridging Deep Hollows/Ruts

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by CalgaryQuicksand, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Aug 16, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    CalgaryQuicksand

CalgaryQuicksand [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vehicle:
    2020 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-road Access Cab
    Self-bodged spare tire carrier. Running boards. Poor man’s winch.
    The trail in my area has a narrow entrance and right at the entrance are two deep hollows (that were originally ruts) with a high centre. They are about a foot and a half deep and can’t be avoided. They aren’t too long. Maybe 6-8 feet. And maybe 1.5-2 foot wide each.

My question is; What is the best thing to carry in the box to bridge those hollows. Sand bags? Logs? Ramps? 1/2 yard of gravel and a shovel? Haha

I can think of a few different solutions but wondering if anyone has found a best solution. I also encountered a few deep (but narrow) creek washouts as well which would be the same scenario basically.

2. Oct 22, 2020 at 4:54 AM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    Depending on the status of the trail (is it state/fed land, a Class IV/unmaintained road, private but open to the public, strictly private?) when I find issues like that, especially at an entrance, turnaround, or common stopping area, I personally try to do my part to maintain the place. From the brief description you've offered, I would likely head out with gravel and a shovel and fill the ruts on one trip to be kind to the next guy - who is oftentimes myself!

You might also wait until the ground is soft and shovel the high center and 'curbs' back into the ruts, to even it out.

Obviously, don't go screwing around with infrastructure projects where you're not legally or socially welcome to do so.

Products Discussed in

To Top