1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brief history of Toyota Motor Co. and museum

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Andres, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:11 PM
    Andres

Andres [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road
    Hi TW,

I had the opportunity of taking a trip to Japan, great noodles, ancient temples, kind people but there were was one place in particular I wanted to visit: the first and original Toyota factory in Japan (now called the Kaikan museum).
    [​IMG]

This is the factory where it all began and is now a dedicated museum to the history of Toyota Motor Company as well as the Toyoda Automatic Loom Works. I'm back to share with you some pictures that I personally took and a little piece of history which is deeply embedded here in TW that few of us realize.
    Let's begin!

Toyota Motor Co. started as a textiles company in 1911 by Sakichi Toyoda (that's right, TO-YO-DA) who established the Toyoda automatic weaving mill in Sako, Nagoya. His factory performed research and development of automatic looms for the weaving of textiles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the 1920's, Sakichi contributed to many developments of the automatic loom machines leading to the development of the Type G automatic loom machine in 1924 which came to be regarded as the highest performing automatic loom machine at that time. Sakichi established Toyota Automatic loom works for the mass production of his loom machines becoming the nucleus for the growth of a future company which his son, Kiichiro Toyoda will develop.

Kiichiro was raised in an industrial environment providing him access for study, research and development in the automatic loom machines, however he developed a keen interest in automobiles. In a small room on a corner of his father's loom factory he began tinkering with a Smith Flyer vehicle, a small, simple two seat vehicle with a wooden frame. He was able to provide a kit that would attach a Smith Flyer wheel and motor onto an ordinary bicycle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His next project was an ambitions one, the automobile. So how do you figure out how an automobile works in 1920's?
    Simple!
    You start by taking apart and studying an American Chevrolet car.
    In a corner of of the Toyoda Automatic Loom Works, preparations began to build prototype vehicles while recruiting people with relevant experience from outside the company.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The production of Toyota's automobiles started in 1933 as a division of Toyoda Automatic Loom Works and by 1935 they had finally achieved their first production car, the A1 (or AA in Japan).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personal note:
    This vehicle is gorgeous!
    It's a mechanical masterpiece, the first step forward for the automotive industry in Japan.

After the completion of the Model AA, Kiichiro turned it's attention to building a truck vehicle because it was more likely to be profitable in the short term, thus the first ever Toyota truck was born: the G1.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright so what's the deal with the name?
    What's with TOYODA?
    Isn't it TOYOTA?

In September 1936 the company ran a public competition to design a new logo for their line of vehicles, of 27,000 entries the end result was a combination of three Japanese letters spelling the word TOYOTA.

I personally happen to study basic Japanese language so I will attempt to uncover this mystery. Unlike our English alphabet which consists of 26 letters, Japanese writing has two forms of alphabets called Hiragana and Katakana. There's a third form of writing called Kanji but let's focus on Katakana for now

The Japanese letter for "TO" is written as ""
    The Japanese letter for "YO" is written as ""
    The Japanese letter for "DA" is written as ""

The word TOYODA would've been seen as トヨダ
    Notice the two lines at the top of .

The decision to change the name to TOYOTA was because:

*In Japanese writing it takes eight brush strokes (a lucky number, Japanese culture).
    *It was visually simpler.
    *It was simpler to pronounce.

Thus the name "Toyota" (トヨタ) with the two lines removed from was established in August 1937 as the Toyota Motor Company. Personally after reading about the new logo for Toyota it inspired me to make the TEQ emblem after coming back from Japan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second truck in production, the Model GA was the first vehicle sold under the new name of Toyota.

Fun fact: from September 1947 small size vehicles were sold under the name "Toyopet" (トヨペット) and was given the nick name after the SA model for it's small size as a result of another naming contest.
    [​IMG]

From this group of small size vehicles came other models including the Toyopet Corona, however after the introduction of these vehicles into American sales the name was drooped due to associations with toys and pets. From these smaller size vehicles came our famous Corolla, Camry, Celica and others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rest of the museum offers a good amount of information about the fabrication of these vehicles, testing, forging etc. There were lots of Japanese and foreign college students visiting the museum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fun fact: In my early years of manufacturing I used to operate a 2-story high CNC machine labeled TOYODA. I'm not sure if the brand is a direct product of the Toyota motor company but I do know it started in 1941 originally made to facilitate the production lines of major automotive companies including Toyota Motor Co.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Toyota Motor Co. has prospered and is now one of the finest example of lean manufacturing over the world. They also continue to make a variety of products such as this advanced loom machine shown below that can dye each thread a different color to produce a photo on the fabric.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our tour ended with a special duet playing instruments live.
    [​IMG]
    I hope you enjoy.

-Andres

Museum locations:
    Toyota Kaikan Museum

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:18 PM
    dylmatik

dylmatik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Vehicle:
    16 DCLBTRDOR
    That was awesome. Thank you for sharing with us!

3. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:18 PM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    They should open another factory. I've had nothing but the best experiences with Toyotas built in Japan.

4. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:19 PM
    Andres

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    You are welcome, I'm glad you like it.

VanGo3 likes this.
  5. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:22 PM
    Andres

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    Agreed.

I also visited a Toyota automobile museum and the Toyota factory line.
    Unfortunately no pictures allowed in the factory line but it is unbelievably organized.
    It was said that they have major plans on renovating the production plant that we visited.

IronPeak and smitty99[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:30 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    :thumbsup: Thanks Andres!:cheers:

7. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM
    Andres

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    You're welcome.

In time I'll make another thread for the Toyota Automobile Museum, wicked cool.

IronPeak and ODNAREM[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:43 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    Hands down the best post I have ever seen on here and most likely ever will! I've been to Yokohama,Japan and I absolutely fell in love with the culture as well as the people. The respect they have for their environment as well as each other we as Americans could learn a thing or two. I came back as a result of their culture a better person. Thank you for posting this!

9. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:44 PM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 G2 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights, Rigid Industries. Factor 55.American AirFlow.
    Thanks Andres!
    Nice touch on Toyota history. Makes me want to get a TE7 shirt

10. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:49 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Dude it's like I went on a very informative field trip. I was there in spirit.

QMEDJoe likes this.
  11. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM
    Andres

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    I hear yah bud, I sure did learn a lot from the locals.
    Their presentation of respect, level of attention to detail, their respect for people and nature, the cleanliness in their streets and their homes and is striking.

QMEDJoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM
    2016BBP

2016BBP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 Auto
    Method Wheels, WxTechGuards, TowPkg, KNDropn, 3M-Tint
    Andres

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

13. Aug 6, 2016 at 11:03 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Should check out Tokyo mega web next time too.

14. Aug 6, 2016 at 11:07 PM
    Andres

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    You are welcome = ]

15. Aug 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I was working on a ship in Alaska and we picked up a contract in Yokohama for a week,We pulled into port and I walked more than I ever have. Never seen one cigarette butt or anything else for that matter on the street. Watched a guy at 12:00 at night wait for the "walk" sign when there were no cars to be seen. There was one experience that will stick with me for the rest of my life... Two couples closing up their store. Laughing and enjoying each others company and the moment took a very serious turn. The laughing stopped. The woman stood across from one another as did the men. The woman waited for the men first to bow. Inwhich they did slow and with much respect, after the men so did the women. My heart about hit the ground. I love my country and all that we stand/stood for but we've lost so much of that spirit we had post WWII. After everything that happened with Japan, honor is something that is so deeply embedded in them as a people you can't help but have a deep and profound respect for them once one has experienced it

16. Aug 6, 2016 at 11:15 PM
    Andres

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    I tried looking for it but didn't have enough time to see it and catch the next train.
    I was very close to it, so on my way back Gundam shows up and gives me a lift.

The Gundam front is only a 10 minute walk from Toyota mega web.
    You mess with me, you mess with Gundam!
    [​IMG]

don74, DAS Taco, TRD OR BUST! and 4 others like this.
  17. Aug 6, 2016 at 11:22 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Thanks for that. Amazing corporate history.

18. Aug 6, 2016 at 11:27 PM
    Andres

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree.
    Everywhere I went people greeted me with a bow, thus I bowed back.
    While riding the metro, train or bus the people are as silent as a library.
    Business men hand out their business card holding it with two hands and bow, the card is seen as a direct reflection of themselves.

I can understand why American looked at Japanese people differently before WWII, they seem to us no different than N. Korea these days.
    The people in Japan are no longer the people they were during the war, they're now a thriving country pushing technology further.

Every country I visit has it's highlights:

Ireland has good beer, the greatest pubs
    Italy has good wines, great food
    Scotland has majestic green fields, lots of sheep

Every country has good things in them, but for Japan is the people.
    Enough ramble, words can't describe how I feel about these people but you sir know what I'm talking about.

19. Aug 6, 2016 at 11:30 PM
    Andres

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    You're welcome.

Lots was left out, I didn't want to turn this into a Toyota chapter encyclopedia.

20. Aug 6, 2016 at 11:43 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Haha! Yep! I've stayed in odaiba. The hotel next to the little Statue of Liberty. Lots of cool little shopping malls.

Products Discussed in

To Top