1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brilliant !!! Satoshi Emblem Answer: Converted into Mod Write-Up W/ Pics

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by Cape Codder, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Jul 21, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder [OP] Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    Silver Tube Step, TRD Skid Plate, Color Matched Satoshi Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem, Avid LiteBar & Hitch Step Color Match Powdered w/DIY Front Plate Holder (NO Bumper Holes), DeBadged, SockMonkey Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals, DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg & Remote Lock, Bilstein Shocks, 17-in. TRD Sport Wheels, P265/65R17 Bridgestone Dueler H/T, 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer, BluLogic Hands Free, UltraGauge, Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders, AutoMate Alarm & Remote Start, WeatherTech FloorLiners (Frt & Rr), WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners ), Tint, WeatherTech Headlight / Foglight Protection, AutoBahnd RoadBlock Paint Protection System, Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover, Bed Mat, Spare Lock, Wheel Locks, LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin, FogLight Anytime, Tailgate Hoseclamp, 4 Extra Bed "D" Rings, Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (frt & rr), LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake, TSBs Transmission & Leaf Spring
    That's Part Of Trying To Keep The Overall Look, Subtle. The Less Noticed, The Better.
    Someone Else Posted a Similar Comment About It.
    I Wrote Up the Emblem Details, But Included Nothing About the Satoshi, As It Had Been Well Covered In Other Threads.
    Again, I Can't Take Credit, As I'd Seen A White Grill on TW Color Matched Instead of Black.
    In Addition to Color Matching The Surround, I Cut Out the Two Small Triangles and Color Matched the Trim And Installed The Same Mesh.
    Have to Do The Lower Grill and Scoop, When time Permits.
    Going to Link to Some More Pictures Below.
    Glad You Like It, Thanks

Thanks, I'm Both Pleased and Surprised It Came Out as Good As It Did

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 4:44 AM
    weiser5150

weiser5150 Stickers and new floormats arent Mods

Member:
    First Name:
    JK
    Jacksonville,Fla.
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4
    Bilsteins all around,Front set at 2.5",Toytec AAL,LR UCAs,18x9 ATX Thugs,275/70R18 Toyo MT's,Relentless Fab Sliders,Satoshi Grill with TRD emblem and Hella Black Magic's converted to HID behind it.
    so you use a tap to put threads in the epoxy?
    If so,how tight did you tighten the screws that hold each letter?

3. Jul 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    Cape Codder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tube Step, TRD Skid Plate, Color Matched Satoshi Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem, Avid LiteBar & Hitch Step Color Match Powdered w/DIY Front Plate Holder (NO Bumper Holes), DeBadged, SockMonkey Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals, DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg & Remote Lock, Bilstein Shocks, 17-in. TRD Sport Wheels, P265/65R17 Bridgestone Dueler H/T, 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer, BluLogic Hands Free, UltraGauge, Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders, AutoMate Alarm & Remote Start, WeatherTech FloorLiners (Frt & Rr), WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners ), Tint, WeatherTech Headlight / Foglight Protection, AutoBahnd RoadBlock Paint Protection System, Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover, Bed Mat, Spare Lock, Wheel Locks, LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin, FogLight Anytime, Tailgate Hoseclamp, 4 Extra Bed "D" Rings, Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (frt & rr), LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake, TSBs Transmission & Leaf Spring
    Apologies for the Delayed Response, Been In Crisis Management Mode for a Few Days.
    I Can't Give You an Inch Pounds or Foot Pounds Number for How Tight. I Just Snugged Them.
    The Letters are Approximately 3/16" Thick, Including the Epoxy.
    The Screw Penetrates the Epoxy and Into the Plastic of the Letter.
    I Drilled the Letters On a Drill Press, With a Travel Stop, As Deep Is I Could Without Penetrating the Letter's Surface.
    I Used a 4-40 Bottoming Tap, To Thread To the Bottom of The Hole, Again Without Penetrating.
    4-40 Screws Have 40 Threads Per Inch, Therefore I Was Able to Get About Six Threads in Each Hole.
    Because I Used #00 Faucet Washers Between The Letters and The Grill Mesh, There Is a Compression Factor.
    Behind The Mesh Is a Plastic Washer, SS Flat Washer, and a SS "Lock Washer" and The Screw Head (In That Order).
    I Started With a Long Screw, and Cut It With A Screw Cutter, Repeatedly, Until It Was the Correct Length to Snug.
    If It Got Snug and Hadn't Compressed The "Lock Washer", I Cut Off a Little More Thread.
    Got the 1st Screw to the Right Length and Cut the Rest to Match
    I Turned The Screws, With a Small Screw Driver, Just Enough To Compress The "Lock Washer".
    That Should Keep The Screws From Backing Out. None Have Loosened Yet.
    Hope That Clarifies The "Torque Value".

4. Jul 25, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    weiser5150

weiser5150 Stickers and new floormats arent Mods

Member:
    First Name:
    JK
    Jacksonville,Fla.
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4
    Bilsteins all around,Front set at 2.5",Toytec AAL,LR UCAs,18x9 ATX Thugs,275/70R18 Toyo MT's,Relentless Fab Sliders,Satoshi Grill with TRD emblem and Hella Black Magic's converted to HID behind it.
    :thumbsup:
    thanks for the info.

5. Aug 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    Red Tacos

Red Tacos Hell Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    06' Red Tacoma
    Any info on a website to get the mesh material for a low low price would be helpful, searched around and i wanna get some other sites before i buy
    Thanks

6. Aug 1, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    macadocious

macadocious NorCal Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 V6 Looong Bed w/ Sport Pkg.
    great job man...very clean

7. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    Cape Codder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    Found None for a Low, Low Price. I Bought Here:
    http://www.customcargrills.com/index.asp

Used the Zig-Zag Oval:
    http://customcargrills.com/products.asp?cat=44

Some Have Bought Storm Door Mesh @ Lowe's or Home Depot.

Someone Here Cut Up a Patio Table Recently, Came Out Nice, Link Here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/99288-its-table-now-its-satoshi.html

CloseUp Sample Of Mine:
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    Cape Codder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    Thanks

9. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    USNROBERTS

USNROBERTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PRERUNNER SR5 TRD SPORT
    How much to do me one just like this? ;-)

10. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    Cape Codder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    Luv To, But..............
    This One Took Me a Couple Months, When Time Permitted.
    Still Want to Do the Scoop Mesh, and I Have a Couple Things to Re-Do,
    'cause I Got Impatient and Rushed It at the End.
    Not Happy With the Workmanship :mad:
    It's Worth The "Did It Myself" Satisfaction, If You Have the Time.
    Give It a Shot

11. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 4X4
    That, my friend...is one professional looking mod.

Very well executed indeed. :cheers:

12. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    Cape Codder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    As Stated In the Post Before Yours:
    Not Happy With the Workmanship.
    I'm NOT Payin' Me

13. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    hawkeye12

hawkeye12 Go Pack Go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 Black DC SB Tacoma TRD Sport
    Smittybilt nerf bars
    Where did you get that sweet TRD Sport decal on your hood scoop?

14. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    Cape Codder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
  15. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 4X4
    Words of a true perfectionist.

I too have this problem...it's an incurable disease.

16. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Cape Codder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    My Kids Have a Name for It:
    ANAL

17. Aug 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    ggreen

ggreen Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM TRD Sport DC Shortbed 4x4
    Icon Suspension Lift, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Exhaust (Powder Coated Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats
    Great looking grille and Toyota emblem! I was wondering what tool you used to remove the material in the middle of the O's and the A. The A in particular looks like it would be very difficult.

18. Aug 12, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    JoshR324

JoshR324 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garden Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 SR5 Double Cab LB
    Sooo nice

19. Aug 12, 2010 at 11:59 PM
    efmugen

efmugen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pasadena,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4-banger
  20. Aug 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    Cape Codder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    Thank You

For The Letter “O”, I Drilled an 1/8” Hole Dead Center
    Then Opened It Up With a UniBit (Step Bit), as Large as Possible.
    Finally, a Dremel With a Small Sanding Drum and a Small Rat Tail File for Finishing.
    Ran Some Sand Paper Around the Interior to Smooth for Paint.

For the Letter “A”, I Drilled Three 1/16” Holes Near Each Point.
    Cut Between the Holes (Carefully) With a Utility Knife.
    Then I Filed to the Points with a Small Wedge Shaped Jeweler's File I Had.

None of It Was to Tuff, Just Time Consuming (the alternative to screwin’ it up).
    I Think The Finished Product Was Worth The Effort, Though Few See It Up Close.
    Give It a Shot and Post the Pics When Done. We’d Like to See ‘em.

Thanks

ty
    ;)

cc

To Top