1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Fuel Door Assembly

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by groink, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    groink

groink [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 4cyl 4x4 XCAB
    Help!

I understand that this subject has been discussed a number of times, but not quite ad nauseum yet. Much like other people my cruddy plastic latch has shattered but my cylinder is also frozen for some reason. I know I could spend $50-$70 and buy a brand new cylinder, but how should I put this... Hell no.

Many people suggest using magnets to keep the door from flailing around like a psychopath at low speeds. I've tried this magnet idea a few times and cannot seem to get it to work. Do people use a powerful magnet such as from a small speaker? Or, multiple magnets perhaps glued down to the door and inside? My fear is really a magnet falling out and scraping the hell out of my paint (as I do hit the trails as well)... Any detailed suggestions offered would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure useful to others in the future.

I've got a '96 taco as I'm not sure if the fuel doors are different in other first gens.

Thanks!:cool:

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Siebler

Siebler Duck Killing Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    99 Long Travel 5 lug, 01 Tundra 4wd
    TC LT Front, F67 on 12" shackle, LCE Underdrive Pulley, Flex-a-lite fan, DT headers, Super 44 muffler, 4:11's and Aussie Locker, 22 Gallon Fuel Cell, Beard seats, sliders, bed cage
    Are the cylinders universal or are the specific to the key? I took mine off when I gave away my bed. I still have it if your interested, not going to cost you 70 bucks thats for sure.

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    groink

groink [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 4cyl 4x4 XCAB
    I think they are specific.. but I could perhaps get it re-keyed at a locksmith. Anybody have any idea what that service runs? I'm from San Diego myself and am moving back to Cali in May, I'll be driving down there often (as that's where 90% of my family lives). Perhaps sometime in the next few months I could buy you a burrito (I desperatly miss burritos, Wyoming has terrible Mexican food) and we can test it out and discuss a price?

4. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    Siebler

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    TC LT Front, F67 on 12" shackle, LCE Underdrive Pulley, Flex-a-lite fan, DT headers, Super 44 muffler, 4:11's and Aussie Locker, 22 Gallon Fuel Cell, Beard seats, sliders, bed cage
    Buy me a burrito and if it works you can have it for a 12 pack of good beer. Deal?

Ill locate it when I get a chance, think I hung it on my pegboard with light tabs and shit but not sure.

5. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    groink

groink [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 4cyl 4x4 XCAB
    Good beer is another thing we do not have out here. Are you partial to Stone?

6. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    groink

groink [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    96 LX 4cyl 4x4 XCAB
    If anyone has magnet advice I could still use that in the meantime.

7. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    Siebler

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Stones good. I drink a lot of Ballast Point cause I get the hookup on that so Stone is would be a nice change :D

Products Discussed in

To Top