1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken power outlet or just useless?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Charli, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Sep 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    Charli

Charli [OP] Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Hey guys. What is the power outlet in the bed good for? The power was out here this morning, and I tried to make a cup of coffee using the bed outlet, but no go. I've got one of those Senseo one-cup machines. Shouldn't this thing at least run a coffee maker???? I found a thread that talked about all the things ppl use their bed outlet for (power saws and the like). For the record: yes, I had the truck turned on; yes, it was actually running; yes, I turned on the outlet. The coffee maker would turn on for about 15 seconds, and then the outlet would turn itself off. :mad: Is this thing really that useless, or should I take it up to the dealership to have them take a look at it? This is the first time I've tried to use it. :(

2. Sep 15, 2008 at 12:25 PM
    Ahaszard

Ahaszard Active Member

Member:
    St Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD Off Road Rugged Trail
    I use mine to make coffee in a Mr. Coffee 4 cup pot quite often and have never had a problem as long as the engine was on and I set it to 400 w. You might want to take it in and have it checked.

3. Sep 15, 2008 at 1:05 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Phantom's right, coffee makers pull lots of power. I use mine most with a dremal (sp?) tool and small corded tools like it oh and cell phone charger sometimes.

4. Sep 15, 2008 at 1:45 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It depends on the *draw* that appliance uses (so to speak).

I tried using an electrick kettle on it ...to boil hot water, but it wouldn't work.

But like Ahaszard said - Instead of the kettle......I used a 4-cup Mr. Coffee machine to boil hot water to make hot chcoloate last winter.

5. Sep 15, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    Charli

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Maybe my coffee pot just pulls too much power....I can't handle all the math Phantom but thanks anyway! lol! It must be "bigger" than a four-cup even though it only makes one... Thanks everybody!

6. Sep 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    About the only thing I've found it useful for running (that I have) is CF work lights and chargers. Tried charging my craftsman 19.2v drill, but fried 2 chargers. So I stick to the lights now when working in the dark at a friend's house.

I'm planning on getting a small generator for the house and no point in upgrading the stock inverter until I have a second battery so I haven't bothered looking into it myself.

7. Sep 16, 2008 at 5:09 PM
    Charli

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys--glad to know I don't have to drag it into the dealership--I hate that place on a good day, and it's worse now that it's under construction.

8. Sep 16, 2008 at 7:31 PM
    kasey200

kasey200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Dboubl Cab Longbed
    3" toytec, 285 BFG AT's
    i use mine daily. i leave my e-collar for my dog in the compartment next to the outlet. when i head out to the ponds i turn it on and it's always charged for the hunt!

Products Discussed in

To Top