1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brush/grill guard

Discussion in 'Armor' started by johnwhips, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Aug 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM
    johnwhips

johnwhips [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Looking at putting a brush/grill guard on my 2017 DC TRD OR. The only reason I was considering one is for protection, mainly from deer...... I drive a lot of rural hwy and just had a buddy hit a deer causing a decent amount of front in damage and I have been in a truck with a simple brush guard when we hit a deer and barely a dent (older truck, 2002 F150).

Dilema #1) I'm torn bc adding one increases the length of my truck and I only have about 12" wiggle room in the garage, plus the added length reduces approach angle (FYI, I have a 2.75" ICON stage 3 with 285/70 17.... so approach angle is larger than factory).

Dilema #2) The other thing I'm torn about is airbag deployment. Obviously a major collision is going to cause this regardless of a guard. But if hitting a deer at let's say 40 MPH is going to cause airbag deployment with a guard, then I'm going to have an insurance claim anyways.... defeating the purpose.

What are your thoughts about these two issues? Am I not considering anything else important? Has anyone been in a situation where you were like "man I wish I had a grill guard on" or has anyone ever had buyers remorse after installing one? Need a little help weighing out the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance.... really appreciate all the great advice I've received in the past!

Products Discussed in

To Top