1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BSM compatible custom rear bumper

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by zstelly, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Oct 11, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    Sum1 Else

Sum1 Else Well-Known Member

Member:
    I appreciate an honest reply.
    Maybe someone will come out with a BSR that will mount above the bumper or attaches around brake light area.

I am concerned about the safety factor with the stock cheap ass stock rear bumper (Mostly Plastic)
    with not much protection in a rear whiplash collision.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Oct 11, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    rlx02

rlx02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    That thing is an abomination.

BlueFourMike and 2k4Taco like this.
  3. Oct 11, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    Sum1 Else

Member:
    It look good, yeah.

4. Oct 11, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    phsycle

phsycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    There is more to safety than just cladding up the body with steel. Certain parts are MADE to break away. Stock bumper may look cheap, but it'll do its job in an accident. And maybe make it a less bone-jarring and neck-breaking experience than a 150lb steel bumper.

5. Oct 11, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    OR4x4

OR4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB 4x4 TRD-OR Super White
    I'm also in the market for a similar solution. The only one that I'm aware of is the C4 bumper that is compatible with rear parking sonar and BSM. That bumper is quite expensive and doesn't have an option for powder coating black, but most of their other products do.

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of that abomination of a bumper that was posted earlier.

6. Oct 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    Sum1 Else

Member:
    The quote about the rear boat dock was humor.

I looked at the C4 bumper, do not like the angle up license plate and the built in receiver hitch. Coating is not a problem.
    Plus the light under the tailgate sucks.

I know C4 is building the high clearance bumper for rock climbing, but not into that.

If they got rid of that angle for the license plate and leave the stock receiver in it’s factory location, leave the trailer hook up pin
    location and lights, I would be on it like a duck on a June Bug.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  7. Oct 11, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    I dismissed BSM and CTA and would not have bought them, but they came with my truck.
    Now that I've had them would I pay extra to have them installed on a new truck again. YES. Would I buy an aftermarket bumper without them,NO.

I find the BSM only comes in handy now, to keep people out of my "blind spot" when they see the indicator flashing on my mirror they either think it's a turn signal or know it's a BSM and they are being a dumb-ass by staying there. So it might be better classified as a Blind Spot Clearing System.

After driving trucks with contractor caps for many years, I am like you, and "pre-plan" my parking.

But with a lot of my business service calls in the downtown city type environment, large jobsites and underground jobsites. I thought that with a rear camera, the Cross Traffic alert would just be a gimmick... I was wrong,
    It paid for itself when I was backing out of a driveway and there was a hedge at the end, near the road. it was clear in my rear camera and in my mirror. The adult behind them about 15' made eye contact with me and didn't even twitch, and seemed to be slowing down to let me through. As my rear bumper passed the hedge the Cross traffic alert went off so I stopped, looked around and still didn't see anything then was about to start reversing again and then little kid on his tricycle was now visible as he was now completely past the hedge and his front wheel was in behind my bumper.... If I had not paused.... The adult probably wondered why I gave them a dirty look...
    In underground parking areas there is not enough space to spin the truck around so you're stuck backing out, and if no apprentice is there to spot for you, I have to "use the force" to avoid the idiots. Electric scooters and cars may be good for the environment, but they are not good for hearing when they are coming.
    Downtown jobsite parking... lets just say you have to "grease up the truck" to fit it into some of the nooks and crannies and be creative getting back out.
    BTW Your sliders have payed for themselves! I can pick my lines off road and have not scuffed them there... but have lots of chips and scrapes from the city and job-sites. LOL

It appears to be a simple radar system, if you can get the mounting points close and if there is some kind of adjusting system so it can be "fine tuned" for a "target calibration. Most liability would then be mitigated on your part and can be covered by a disclaimer about getting it calibrated after install. Besides you have more potential liability with a tow attachment point on that bumper system anyways. :p
    One of the biggest issues these systems have, is because of their location, water,sand, mud ,stones etc splashes up and gets in between the sensor and the rear facia, so they will also need some kind of splash shield on the back (Toyota missed the boat on that part). 1/8 " Plexi could be used as the outer protection. If your worried about off-road protection make a screw on plate you can put on.

If you guys make a BSM/CTA bumper, I will by one. (so long as someone does not build one as good yours with the BSM first).
    I don't like the other one on the market because the license plate pointed up looks dopey, and I Like having a step in the center. At least yours it looks like I could weld on a step area. Personally I would prefer it if you did not have to tilt the plate to use the hitch point so keeping the factory hitch would be fine by me. BSM/CTA is the important point.

So lets sharpen the pencil and grease up the cad chair and lets make a few tweaks on the Mobtown Bumper shall we! :) :) There will be lotsa spare time since the new shop is getting all settled in, he he.

8. Oct 11, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    Sum1 Else

Member:
    I thought about buying an off road bumper as is and just modify it my self.
    Options could be mounting on the outside off bumper and make a bracket to mount.
    To fine tune angle, etc, shims could be used. another option would to weld a plate at 45degree
    angle and encapsulate the monitor with plastic from original bumper or cut into the bumper and recede it.
    I even thought about one from a 2018 Jeep Wrangler and incorporate it some how.
    As a Cad Designer, I will come up with something. I just don't have a lot time to f*** with it.
    I just want a little more protection from the rear, and I know it is designed as crumpled zone
    B.S.

9. Oct 12, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    Double Phister

Double Phister Punch it Chewie

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR
    Ooh. I like that idea. Plastic for the daily grind, steel for crawling.

I'm not sure why everyone is afraid to move the plate to the left side of the bumper like a Jeep. Then the hitch can be up high in the middle and not mess with the plate.

10. Oct 12, 2018 at 10:15 AM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    I'm not really sure why it's a big deal to flip up the plate. I guess if you leave your hitch in all the time then maybe it's more of an issue. Also, at least on the JK, the plate is not mounted to the bumper. Moving the plate to the side make the bumper asymmetrical which just complicates things.

11. Oct 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    Double Phister

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR
    Like I said earlier I use a hitch mounted bike carrier. Can't drive with that and the plate facing the sky and not expect to get pulled over.

bigmw likes this.
  12. Oct 12, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    Yea, I remember that now. Why don't you just move the plate somewhere else? It's blocked by your bike carrier either way.

13. Oct 12, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    Double Phister

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR
    You can read it when the rack is down and bikes are on it

Products Discussed in

To Top