1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bucket Seats in a Regular Cab?

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by csmurray1, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Mar 7, 2015 at 7:24 PM
    csmurray1

csmurray1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Does anyone know if the bucket seats out of a 6 lug would fit in a regular cab with a bench seat? I would like to change it to two separate seats.

2. Mar 10, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    The answer is "yes, but". And the "but" part is a problem. Namely airbags. From a mechanical standpoint, you just unbolt the bench and bolt in the buckets, they should fit easily (I think the singlecab 4x4 has buckets stock). But after you've done that now you've got a couple of huge problems on your hands.

One, the airbags aren't cross-compatible and can't be made so. So if you've got the side impact airbags, like I do, you lose them. I'm not even sure if the vehicle would start with them pulled without some reprogramming.

The other problem's the passenger sensor. Those aren't compatible either. You could pull the old one out of your bench and put it in the passenger bucket, but that is a non-trivial task and apparently it's pretty easy to ruin the sensor in the process. I'm betting said sensor isn't very cheap, either.

But yes, it can be done. I wouldn't.

ETA: Airbags are dangerous as hell and can kill you easily. Don't mess with them.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    csmurray1

csmurray1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Well.....I didn't know any of that I guess I'll just keep the ole bench seat

4. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:10 AM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab

Are you saying the 4x4 buckets seats airbag connectors do match to the 5 lugger airbag connectors? Has to be a way... where did you get this information? I am interested in getting bucket seats.

5. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am saying the opposite. They do not match. The 4x4 bucket seats don't use the same connectors, or even the number of wires in the harness, and the computer controller is different.

Could it be done? Yes. But I wouldn't. You have no idea if the system would even work without testing it, and blowing up four or five Tacos to make sure I got it set up right is a bit out of my budget range.

As to where this information is, well, "search" is your friend. A lot of folks here, many far smarter than I, have tried to think this one through. I don't think anyone has succeeded.

6. Mar 16, 2015 at 11:01 PM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    Sorry...typed too quick...I meant you say it doesn't match. Well this sucks. So if I do the bucket seats I lose air bags and no way to defeat the air bag warning lights..

Products Discussed in

To Top