1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bucket Seats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JRollins, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Aug 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    JRollins

JRollins [OP] Member

Member:
    So I have done some research on here and found that a few people have swapped out their bench seat for buckets in regular cab trucks. I plan to do the same and would like to know where you guys are finding buckets(ie.junkyard,ebay,etc.). I am having some trouble locating seats for sale.

Thanks

2. Aug 25, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    tacomaracing

tacomaracing tacomaracing

Member:
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma 2wd 2.7L
    AFE stage 2 intake,heavley ported throttle body,one of the gas buddys off ebay,fitch fuel catalyst,electric fan and relay kit,oil catch can,gibson exhaust,magnaflow catalytic converters and the spark plug non fouler no CEL light,wraped exhaust manifold,wideband o2(innovate),relocated IAT.
    summit racing :D
    i have them in mine

3. Aug 25, 2008 at 11:47 AM
    Coheednme13

Coheednme13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MattDaddy
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport
    does anyone have pics of a reg cab with aftermarket seats

Tacomaracing? have any, and how hard was it to install?

4. Aug 25, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    tacomaracing

tacomaracing tacomaracing

Member:
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma 2wd 2.7L
    AFE stage 2 intake,heavley ported throttle body,one of the gas buddys off ebay,fitch fuel catalyst,electric fan and relay kit,oil catch can,gibson exhaust,magnaflow catalytic converters and the spark plug non fouler no CEL light,wraped exhaust manifold,wideband o2(innovate),relocated IAT.
    i will look for pic's.. it was a bastard to install had to fab everything....:eek:

5. Aug 25, 2008 at 1:54 PM
    JRollins

JRollins [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies. I think I want to find some TRD seats out of an 05+ model so that install is really straight forward.

6. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    Synapse

Synapse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    Ive been thinking about this also, heres what I found out:

LHR
    "It has been done before. You will need to see if the inboard holes are drilled/tapped and capped off, or not there; the buckets use 4 bolts each, the non split bench uses 4 total. There is no cab finish panel/carpet behind seat on bench seat models, so there will be bare painted metal."

steveb2532
    "I swapped buckets for a bench in my 05 reg cab with automatic transmission. I got them from a double cab at a local junkyard. (The guys there said access cab wouldn't fit). motoretro is right about the back wall but I covered it with automotive carpeting to cut down the road noise. Also, there were pre-drilled holes for three of the four seat mounts and I had to work on the seat belt a little because the female ends on the ones from the junkyard didn't match up with the male ends in my truck. I found a console at Wally world that fits between the seats and matches well with the interior but I can't move the passenger seat all the way forward because of the way the reg cab shifter console is designed."

7. Nov 12, 2008 at 4:21 PM
    Coheednme13

Member:
    First Name:
    MattDaddy
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport
    I just ordered mine today out of an 06 extended cab they(the junk yard) that if they didn't fit they would give me my money back. I know that for one of the mounting holes I'll have to drill a hole and add a nut underneath. I may have a nut welded underneath. I know that 3 of the holes will line up. I will give an in-depth install guide. Thanks guys.

8. Nov 12, 2008 at 5:40 PM
    Synapse

Synapse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    Hey, How much did you pay? Where at?

9. Nov 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM
    Coheednme13

Member:
    First Name:
    MattDaddy
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport
    I got them at Jimmy Rivers body shop in Columbia SC. I got them for $300 bucks for the set. Which I'm told is a steal. All the other pairs where 700 a pair but some guy in NC said he would do $300 then I told him I didn't know if the sensors would work. So he said that if it didn't work out I could get my money back.

As far as bare carpet goes no it won't be bare the carpet covers the floor it is only bare under the center console

10. Nov 13, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    JRollins

JRollins [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeh...I hope that the sensors work out. I had some lined up but the owner did not have all of the hardware needed (seat base with slide frame thing). So I did just find some from a junkyard that was recommended on another thread that I started. They are out of an 06 xrunner, the sport seats I believe. I will also be taking pictures of the install process and letting others know if there are issues with the sensors. However, you can always get the wiring for the sensors from the stealership.

11. Nov 17, 2008 at 7:25 PM
    Coheednme13

Member:
    First Name:
    MattDaddy
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport
    ok a few things that I learned

• driver's side bucket seat from a access cab WILL NOT BOLT UP interesting enough though the wire harness hooks right up
    • the passenger side seat will bolt up except for the inner rear bolt which will need a hole drilled
    • the passenger wire harness will not hook up the seat has a 6 wire harness and the truck harness is an 8 wire harness and it does have 8 wires.
    • and the seat I got were rusted badly I'm glad the guy said I could get my money back

12. Nov 17, 2008 at 7:26 PM
    Coheednme13

Member:
    First Name:
    MattDaddy
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport
    looking forward to hearing about this swap please please keep us posted

13. Nov 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM
    JRollins

JRollins [OP] Member

Member:
    The swap is done. I had great results but you guys should know some things:

These are 2006 TRD sport seats going into a 2008 Regular cab.

Seats bolt up just fine (both of them)...there were predrilled and tapped holes in the tub that had little black stickers on them to close the cab off.

The console from a regular cab does not allow the seat to slide all the way forward on the passenger side (no big deal).

The wiring harness on the driver side hooks up fine but the passenger side does not.

BIGGEST ISSUE: GET THE SEATBELTS OUT OF THE DONOR TRUCK. Your seat belt buckle is bigger on the bench seat and will not fit the new bucket seat female ends.

I will have a full install with pictures in a few days.

One other reminder when you are installing the seats, you may think that the seats dont line up with the holes, but dont forget that the sliding rails on the bottom of the seat work independently (ie. imagine a pair of skis, they arent attached to one another so they can slide forward and back individually).

This will become apparent when I show the pictures.

14. Nov 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM
    Coheednme13

Member:
    First Name:
    MattDaddy
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport
    So did you just leave it unhooked? Also I did realize that the two tracks will slide independent of one another so they will line up.

I am taking mine back they are rusted pretty bad underneath so I don't want to have to mess with them

15. Nov 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM
    Toynbyu

Toynbyu Active Member

Member:
    Crazy conflicting info. I have a 98 reg cab with the bench, went to the yard and found some SR5 seats and got them for $30. However it cost me $600 to get them completely redone, a lot of $$ but the guy did a fantastic job. They bolted right in. I get some pictures posted soon.

16. Nov 18, 2008 at 4:04 PM
    JRollins

JRollins [OP] Member

Member:
    Yes I did leave the wire unplugged on the passenger side. So the light just stays on to remind me that the passenger airbag is off. Also if anyone has seats and didnt get the belts out of the same truck, you can leave your original seatbelts that bolt to the floor in(you will have to cut the wire that tells you truck that you have buckled up), but it is a mitigation for my dumba$$ having to find belts now. I called the stealership and they want $204 for each side. I will just find matching ones at a juckyard.

Another bit of engineering for you: Since your driver seat plugs and plays nicely, it will tell you that you need to buckle up(remember I am buckled into a seatbelt buckle on the floor that is not "electrically" noticed by the truck). So I noticed that the middle belt(the one just hanging out on the back wall) actually fits into the female end of the buckle on the bucket seat. Viola you fooled your truck into thinking you are buckled in, even though you already were(weird I know).

So while I search for new seat belts I wanted to get the bucket seat female end out of my way. It just unbolts and you can move it under the seat(dont forget to save the nut by screwing it back onto the bucket seat or bagging it).

As you can tell I kind of half a$$'d this install but I was a guinea pig, what do you expect.

Pictures and story still to come.

Is it worth it you might ask? You bet MY a$$ it is...and that is literal.

17. Mar 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    I used the old buckles and the sensors plugged right in. '05 seats in an '06 though.

18. Feb 20, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    Ironwings

Ironwings Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab 4x4
    side steps, bug deflector
    Just bought a 2010 Regular cab and I really appreciate all the info on putting in buckets as this bench seat sucks.

19. Apr 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  20. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4cly
    Dule Magnaflow Exhaust dumped behind axle, K&N Air intake, Aftermarket radio with a kicker L5 sub & a shit amp, 18" rims with tires, RHLM, DT header, color matched bumper, oem foglights, 8k hids in headlights and in fogs
    iv given up on bucket seats!!! haha

i really just want a split bench like in the rangers with a fold down center console....yes i said the unthinkable hahahaha

To Top