1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bucket Seats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gsm, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Jan 12, 2008 at 5:15 AM
    gsm

gsm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    I failed to research fully when I bought my Taco. I was mistakenly under the impression that standard cabs only came with the nasty bench seat and figured I'd swape it out later.

So, knowing my mistake. What compatable bucket seats are available and recommended by those more experienced on this site than myself?

Toyota warehouses that I looked at want near $2600 each for the OEM version. That's not going to happen :crazy:

Thanks for your inputs.

2. Jan 12, 2008 at 5:58 AM
    JKarp

JKarp Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4 banger
    I knew from Toyota's site that Std / bucket was possible, but when I started looking, EVERY dealer in the Denver area told me they'd never seen one. I test-drove the bench, found it surprisingly comfortable for my 6' 4" frame and bought it. I did sit in an access cab with buckets and the seats felt far more confining, plus there's no way those seats would ever recline in a std cab. I'd rather have the option to sit my nephew or a briefcase in the middle too than that console.

The seats (bucket and bench) are tied to the airbag system with weight sensors so that's probably the reason for the hurt-me $2,600...

3. Jan 12, 2008 at 6:30 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    I agree that the bench (padding) is confortable. But the reason(s) I'm looking into bucket sets are:

1. My wife is 5' even and for her to drive with me in the pax seat, my knees are up in my face :eek:

2. The bench seat back angle is fixed and I'd like to be able to adjust it slightly forward or reclined for driving confort.

3. For a std. cab there is quite a bit of space behind the seats. We sometimes place a bag of groceries behind the seat, and of course both have to get out to drop the back to access the space.

4. Lastly, while not able to fully recline (hard to drive looking up :rolleyes: ), there is about 6" behind the headrest at my setting for somewhat of a recline. My wife would be able to nearly fully recline due to her size. Nice add-on for longer trips.

PLUS can't leave out the that buckets look better ;)

Thanks for your input. As for the airbag sensor, was thinking about switching it to a switch if possible or maybe setting it to always on. My wife can only get it to activate on about 75% of the time (98lbs). Toyota checked the seat and said it was in limits, they claim 110lbs is the absolute have to be on.

Anyone else have any suggestions/points to consider?

4. Jan 12, 2008 at 10:40 AM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
    I looked at buying an 04 with a bench seat before I bought my new truck.
    I was looking at junk yards for seats and I think that Camry seats could be made to work the power drivers seat would be nice. The console is
    another story, don't know what would work. Not any 2nd gen Tacoma's junked around here.
    I did get the SR5 package that got me the bucket seats.

5. Jan 12, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    When I bought my 2000 toyota preruner standard cab I went with bucket seats. My very 1st truck had a bench andsaid never again. I wonder if any of toyota's bucket seats are compadible with the taco's?..I would look @ a salvage yard or on ebay for a pair of bucket seats. Good Luck!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jan 13, 2008 at 6:30 AM
    JKarp

JKarp Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4 banger
    Ahh, excellent point. I'd be in the same boat it my mrs drove mine. Put a bug in the ear of your local salvage yards and ask 'em to call ya when tacos come in. Probably the best bet for cheap buckets.

7. Jan 13, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Maybe talk to a customizer, or go to a car/truck show and get some ideas. If the cost of a bucket is too much ($2600.00 is WAY too much) then maybe getting a custom seat cover. Good luck, and if you do find a solution, write back and tell us, so as to help other "sitting" where you are. :D

8. Jan 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Would you be interested in the TRD Offroad seats? I have a pair in perfect condition sitting around. (I swapped out the interior on my truck and have some spare stuff leftover.) If you're interested we can work something out.

9. Jan 13, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Very possible. Do you still have the sliders with them or did you use them on your new interior? What would you be looking to get for them? Possible to post/PM pictures? I live in Raleigh NC, and if this all works out I can possibly drive up to pick them up (gotta keep my mod costs down :( ).

Did you swap out the console as well?

What interior did you swap yours out for?

10. Jan 13, 2008 at 9:18 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I'll get some pictures together for you in the next couple of days. Still have the sliders on the seats. :)

I'm going a little overboard with the mods but am keeping most of the plastic in place. With some luck the center console will remain with slight modifications for electronics. I had to notch the doorpanels and armrests for clearance, replaced the side panels of the rear glass with Lexan to pass some tubes through, and pulled the carpet and headliner, but everything else should (hopefully!) work.

The seat brackets that I'm using are custom and the airbags aren't much of an issue for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get some updated pictures of the truck posted next week. In the meantime I'll PM you and get you some pictures of the stock TRD seats.

11. Jan 14, 2008 at 6:53 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Wow! :eek: I'd say you changed out the interior! Looks like a serious ride.

Awaiting your PM/posts.

Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top