1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Budget suspension improvement help?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Drewski, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    Drewski

Drewski [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    People's Republic of Chicago
    Vehicle:
    '99 Prerunner SR5 Xtracab 4 cyl auto
    Hey all, I'm looking to replace suspension bits on the taco as needed (99 prerunner Xcab). Yes, I have already read through lots of suspension threads here, but they have mainly been about lifts.

I don't want to lift the truck!

I just want to improve the beat-up OEM parts, and get it back to some semblance of good condition/ good ride. I don't want some sky-high rock crawler or some cushy luxury ride (hey, it's a truck after all), but no doubt the stock leafs are shot. They have got the approximate profile of a handlebar moustache. Not good. Due to other expenses, I'm not really in the position to spend a lot on upgrades, plus, this is a 12 year old truck with 138k miles.

I've checked the usual sources like Alcan, Deaver, OME, but it seems I'm looking at minimum $450 (plus shipping) for replacement springs alone. Is that the low end? I get it that the stock springs are crap anyway, so I've already written off buying some boneyard pick and pull special. Thanks for any ideas.

Forgive the naivete, but it's been a while since I bought leafs, and the last custom set I bought was quite a bit less.

2. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    defleppardsg

defleppardsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    texas
    Vehicle:
    2.7L SR5 4x4
    OME 880's, Wheeler's Offroad 5-Leaf pack. Bilstein 5100's, 1" Daystar shackles, Deck Plate Mod.
    When I was shopping around for new leaves, my local spring shop here in NY had OEM replacement springs for about $300. I wound up going with different lift springs anyway, but it would have been the right price-point if I were looking to do what you are.

Products Discussed in

To Top