1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Building custom skidplate/fabbed bumper - materials/tools/etc needed?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beef TACO no rice, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    beef TACO no rice

beef TACO no rice [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 taco single cab
    So basically, im considering fabbing my own bumpers.. Start with the rear first.. And possibly do the front after, depending on how the rear comes out..

I have access to a welder and a torch and possibly some aluminum for good price.. Anyone know the specific tools i would need like grinder, band saw?, etc?

I figure i might be able to fab up a rear bumper for less then 200.. Anyone kno the cost of a rear bumper like that from a company?

Let me know your thoughts, experience, if there is any threads on this already, etc etc..

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Do you have a welder thats capable of welding aluminum? Like a TIG or a MIG with a spool on it. Im not sure working with aluminum but with steel you'll need a chop saw and angle grinder for sure.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    beef TACO no rice

beef TACO no rice [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 taco single cab
    not 100% sure on the welder, i will ask my buddy.. thansk for the reply

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Welder, grinder, clamps, magnets for holding steel parts togther, a good selection of hand tools like hammers, snips, die grinder, tap and die set, tubing bender or access to one, torch for heating metal the list goes on. You won't know all of what you need until you need it ;)

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    i have built about 5 bumpers. aluminum is much harder to work with and weld. i have built one with a grinder, reciprocating saw, welder, and a tape measure. unless you know what your doing cutting with a torch will leave so much slag that it wont really be useable. take your time and remember to grind all the welds down. i didnt on one thinking it would looks cool. it didnt. i had idiots ask me all the time what the welds were. good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top