1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bump/Roll Steer

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by nysangler, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Apr 21, 2015 at 12:55 PM
    nysangler

nysangler [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5
    I'm looking for some information regarding bump/roll steer. I recently purchased a 2015 SR5 double cab long bed. I have 600 miles on it. The last Tacoma I owned was over 10 years ago. I have a very long stone driveway and noticed a considerable amount bump/roll steer. The steering wheel seems to have a mind of its own. On the open road it is fine. Is this common? Do I mention this when I take it in for it's first service? Thanks for any input on this!

2. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:05 PM
    zippsub9

zippsub9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    Shit bolted onto other shit, and junk.
    This would not be bump steer although it would appear to fit the verbatim reference. Bump steer occurs when you bottom out the suspension in addition to scrubbing. I am sure some smarter long travel guys will jump all over this one.

I believe this is just a matter of a skinny tire on compact truck chassis. The stock suspension isnt setup to handle it well enough. Your springs are progressive for both trd sport and offroad with a soft buffer prior to exponentially increasing resistance. The shocks are valved differently though and may be your primary culprit. The offroad will have a stiffer rebound than the sport but a softer compression. I dont believe you have any issue.

3. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:09 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the same issues on Bilstein shocks and stock coils. I'm pretty sure TRD Sport coils are linear rate, zippsub. Do you have more info on that?

4. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:18 PM
    zippsub9

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    They are definitely not linear, i just swapped out a 2014 trd sport for OME/5100s. I dont have the photos, but you can just look at the spring a see the uneven coil.

Be advised, the coils will only support the truck weight and when properly set the strut should be doing all the work through valving in this situation.

I am not too sure on the steering setup in comparison to older tacos. No steering damper allows more float as well.

FWIW, unless you rock billy 7100 or better, the 5100s while great for the money are valved pretty stiff at rest with no load. This is typically why you get the rave reviews from the icons and other high end coilovers. Bilstein used to make their struts but they were custom vlaved. 5100 series is designed for a lot of applications and will just get you in the ballpark without a custom order,

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    nysangler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5
    Thanks for the input! What can I do to lessen that reaction in the steering wheel?

6. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:26 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good to know on the Sport springs. Thanks.

7. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:59 PM
    zippsub9

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    Im not sure there are many easy options. I have not seen any sort of steering damper setup for 2nd gens. Wider tires would lessen the jumpy darting, but not cheap. You could always change the suspension setup as well. Lowering the air pressure in current tires will make a difference but then also change your on road handling. Sorry, i dont think this was what you wanted or much help.

8. Apr 21, 2015 at 3:18 PM
    nysangler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5
    I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

Products Discussed in

To Top