1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bump stop question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Yesterday afternoon I spent a good amount of time on the phone speaking with several different companies about the set up on my truck. One of the sales people said that I needed to buy a 3" rear leaf pack 'kit' and the new timbren rear bump stops (which are due out in a couple of weeks) if I wanted to haul a 1500lb load. The reason I 'need' the rear bump stops, according to the sales person, is to keep the rear fenders from hitting my new tires on the 17x9" wheels (with a full load in the bed). My tires DO stick out past the fender flare and I only have the rear leaf TSB right now. I measured just over 3" between the bed of the truck and the OEM bump stop and I also measured just over 5 inches from the fender flare to the top of the back tire but I realize that the rear springs will 'flex' when loaded and there definitely is not room for the tire to tuck up inside of the wheel well due to the width of the tire.

I really don't want to shell out another grand on a leaf pack 'kit' right now and these expensive bump stops IF THEY ARE NOT NEEDED. I also do not want to risk inducing vibrations in the drive train from lifting the back, then lifting the front even more to level out the stance, but I NEED to be able to haul a full bed of mulch or a 1/2 scoop of top soil which I do quite often.

So, with the set up in my signature, is some type of bump stop modification really required if I only run the rear leaf TSB? The only thing I could think of is having 8-10 buddies at work all stand in the bed of my truck at once and me stick my head under the truck to see what hits first, bump stop or the fender on the tire.

If I do need to run an aftermarket bump stop, is there anything cheaper than one attached to the upper portion of the new shock? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You need to do something- because I'll almost guarantee that 1500lbs in the bed is TOO MUCH FOR THE TRUCK. The truck isn't built to carry that much in any configuration.

3. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
  4. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    What model do you have?? And you have to account for the weight of you driving and anything else on the truck

5. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006, TRD O/R. Just me and 50lbs of gear max. I only drive 2 miles from the nursery that sells the plants, mulch and top soil and I'm only going ~30mph.

If I need the new bump stops, I'm willing to forgo hauling mulch or dirt until I have the spare change, but I don't want to spend money on something I don't need.

6. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Reg/Access/Double Cab?? 2WD,4WD??

Look into the TSB springs- Not sure if you'll still be in warranty or not- but it's worth trying. Take a bit less mulch and you'll probably be fine. Or get a small trailer....

7. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    get you some of those air bags for it.

8. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    This may seem plebian but if the trip is that short, why not make 2 trips? Beats jacking up your fenders.

9. Jun 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I would look into the firestone/ similar brand of helper bags

10. Jun 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    You would probably be fine if you just got an add a leaf to use with the TSB springs.
    When I had my TSB springs they hauled 600 lbs with me driving over big bumps fast and took it like butter. I know there is a big difference, but I am sure with 5 or 6 hundred more lbs. it still would have been good.
    You are fine with the TSB and if you need a smidge more get an add a leaf.

11. Jun 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so I'll haul less and make more trips to solve that problem. Now the 2nd question would be about the tire hitting the rear fender while out on the trails. My ultimate goal is to be able to have a truck for light/medium duty use out on the trails AND still be able to use around town. I can sacrifice "around town" use and make more trips but I DO NOT want to sacrifice functionality on the trails. Any idea if I'll rub w/o a new leaf pack and the expensive bump stops? If so, is there any other bump stop solution that can be used with the factory leaf springs that do not requre a new leaf pack, new rear shocks, the expensive timbren rear bump stop set up, diffy shims, brake lines, etc... (remember, the TSB leaves are already installed).

12. Jun 29, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    iDRiVaTRD

iDRiVaTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    I am running All-Pro 3" Leaf packs and Timbrens for this very reason. I have yet to haul a large load since the install but I am happy to know that I would have no issues.

Last July before modifying anything with my suspension, when my tires were 255/75R17's on my stock wheels, I hauled 1500 lbs of sand bags from Lowe's to my moms house. Trip was just down the street but the stock bumps stops were not even touching yet. There was about 3/4" gap between frame and bump stops. Truck was 6 months old at the time so springs were still fairly new though.

Products Discussed in

To Top